Gulf Islands 2014 Reports

great weekend in the gulf islands. Porlier on Saturday. Thrasher on Sunday. lot's of action both days, mostly on chovies though guys were doing well on spoons and hoochies as well from what I heard. We got our limits on Saturday at porlier before noon and fished thrasher for 4-5 hours on sunday with lot's of hits but we had a little '3 stooges' act going on (hung over perhaps??) so we ended up losing a bunch and botching 1 net job. Came outta there with 3 decent keeps around 12lb avg however so still a great day.... water was amazing... flat calm all day. Tons of boats at Thrasher. Felt like mid summer out there.

Looks bigger in the picture than it actually was. 15 lbs.
Yeah bigger head, smaller body. That is pretty much my typical overestimate 2 lbs for every 15. ;-) I see a 27 and think its a Tyee, I see a 45 and its ALWAYS waaaay over 50!!!

Dang! Fished an hour and a half before and after the tide at Salamanca on Sunday morning - nada! [Well, one legal Ling but released it] Anchovies/Coho Killer/Hootchies 90' to 150'. Three or four other boats in the area and didn't see any net dancing. Gonna have to move
up to Porlier. But gorgeous day on the water.

Ran up to Thrasher Rk on Monday as I had heard the fishing was red hot. Got up there around low slack and the bite really started to come on with the flood tide. Managed a 10,16,18# on 4" CJ Special squids at 150ft. The 10# came on a green glow hootchie at 100ft, all the fish were marbled flesh. Got home around 430 and a friend was headed out on his boat and fished the cable area off galiano and managed a few fish right here off Galiano. Seems like if you want consistent fishing Thrasher is worth the run...Between Porlier and Active pass has been a bit more hit or miss. Any other reports from up around porlier?

Going to Galiano this weekend. I guess its a little early for high feeding fish and beach casting? Any good spots to jig up rock fish for dinner? Lots of cliffy spots must be some good drop offs. I know lots of of rca's so ill have a look first.

(sorry to put in the section but this is where the gulf island guys are active) cheers

Fished porlier last night from 5:30 - 7:30 pm. Bait/spoons/hootchies all from 60 to 180 ft nothing worked until 7:30 when we picked up 1- 10 lb on a purple haze hootch @ 130 ft. Much slower than Sunday but the water was just as nice.

Went out at 8:30 AM today...water flat calm, warm, wonderful morning....no fish, no bait on the sounder.....saw 5 other boats in distance both North and South, never did see a net but hard to tell that far away....finally one about 12 lbs on the new thin, small strip in a baitrix small strip holder 3/4 hr after low tide change. Not the hot action alluded to here earlier on.

Any reports on the pender bluffs area?? Heading out on Sunday and Monday. Wanna know the best areas to spend the limited amount of time I get to get out there.

I fished the Pender bluffs yesterday for a few hours - mid morning till noon on either side of the low tide. We lost two - one larger and one small Spring at the boat. Encouraging for this early in the year. Lots of bait stacked up close to the bluffs as usual. We were fishing at 100 - 130 feet which is where all of the bait seemed to be.
Good luck and post your report after the weekend.

Still good fishing, was trolling with tide and went far off entrance and picked up a teen with cop car 180 deep. One same size spit the hook at net... Never fished that far off fingers and never had much luck on the ebb...nice to see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did a full shift yesterday 8am-8pm around Gabriola Island/ Thrasher Rk. area....Water conditions were pretty lumpy until about 11am. After noon it was glassy calm out there with a light breeze, a beauty!

We hooked about 15 chinook, biggest was about 15 lbs. We got two hatchery so it will be interesting to see where they are bound. Also caught a short fat 12 lb that I was told is likely Columbia-bound. I didn't get a chance to enjoy the fish for long as I was sealed AT THE DOCK!

To the pleasure of a few bystanders, they witnessed me almost go in headfirst, as a large seal snuck up under the dock and yanked the fish from my hands as I was rinsing it off. Lucky I didn't lose a hand!! but it makes for a far better story than the catch itself. We were all split at the sides laughing. Lesson learned!

A blue splatterback spoon was the hot ticket. Hoochies saw just one bite, we were running spoons all day. All fish 100-160' on the rigger. They were scattered big time and we would only get a hit or two every hour, in no specific location.

Finished Business:-

Would that blue splatterback spoon be the #944 Silver Horde?

if it is...where did you buy it?

you are correct sir. I've used the 940, 942, 944 successfully on ECVI. The glow of the spoon is excellent quality and glows the color it is. eg. blue glows blue, green glows green, and chartreuse glows chartreuse. There is silver flake on the spoon as well that adds a subtle flash.

Bought down south @ LFS

Better question... What was in thur guts?

Back