Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Out today from cheanuh 8am-noon. Picked up 2 right off the bat, 80ft down running bloody noise and pink squirt. Trolled around beechey/aldridge in 500ft water, same depth on the rigger and around 10am picked up 3 more. 2 spring, 2 coho, 1 sockeye.

Fished from 7:30am until 2:00pm today. Ran down to Sheringham. Got a nice 7lb clipped coho in the first 15 minutes at 79'. Stayed in tight for next 4 hours and did half a dozen passes in both directions down as far as French Beach but nothing doing despite trying several depths. Mid-morning the killer whales passed through and saw sea lions shaking fish at the surface. At lunchtime trolled with the ebb to PNP fishing in 170' of water. Got several hits between 75' and 135' on anchovies and hootchies. Got a couple of coho to the surface before losing them, released one wild and missed the rest. Missed one pin popper at 135 ' but was probably a coho as well. Splendid flat calm, sunny day until 1:30pm. Felt like summer all over again!!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished from 7:30am until 2:00pm today. Ran down to Sheringham. Got a nice 7lb clipped coho in the first 15 minutes at 79'. Stayed in tight for next 4 hours and did half a dozen passes in both directions down as far as French Beach but nothing doing despite trying several depths. Mid-morning the killer whales passed through and saw sea lions shaking fish at the surface. At lunchtime trolled with the ebb to PNP fishing in 170' of water. Got several hits between 75' and 135' on anchovies and hootchies. Got a couple of coho to the surface before losing them, released one wild and missed the rest. Missed one pin popper at 135 ' but was probably a coho as well. Splendid flat calm, sunny day until 1:30pm. Felt like summer all over again!!:)
Why did you release the wild coho ? I understand as of 1st of sept. your allowed 1 wild or am I mistaking ? thats area 20 correct me if I'm wrong.....C.A.

Fished sherringham in the morning...but had little love. Watched the whales and picked up a smallish spring pretty much as the whales were passing. Strange!

Looking forward to mushrooms!

Why did you release the wild coho ? I understand as of 1st of sept. your allowed 1 wild or am I mistaking ? thats area 20 correct me if I'm wrong.....C.A.
You are correct. I did not check the regs before we went out. The one I released was only little; about 3lbs so no biggy. One of the coho we lost was at least 6lb, so if he was wild and we had released that, I would have been a little more put out. No worries though. Should be more coho soon, especially by October!:)

Straightened hook on a nice one this morning off the hop.
Kept 4 coho and released a small spring.
Lots of coho around but there still small 4-8lb. Should be bigger by now I'd think.

Nice day on the water. My son had a blast and got to practice on lots of coho.
Doing well for 5 year old and fun to have on board.

Tips

The way I read it area 20 1 wild 1 hatch
yeah funny, me and christoph were fighting about the same thing at Pedder today while a kid was getting lectured about the wild he kept by some guy. Christoph assumed still same as last year and even Pedder Bay staff says no wild allowed, but I double checked the regs and its clear to me that its open for 1!

yeah funny, me and christoph were fighting about the same thing at Pedder today while a kid was getting lectured about the wild he kept by some guy. Christoph assumed still same as last year and even Pedder Bay staff says no wild allowed, but I double checked the regs and its clear to me that its open for 1!
Anytime he is wrong you have to remember that LOL....... Lectures at cleaning table by hall monitors nothing new. How was halibut?

he had a good morning with a 25 and a 8-10...lost another, we got the afternoon shift for a few hours and just had a big fat ratfish to speak of before the chop started up (constance). Definitely find it interesting that even Pedder had no clue on the coho thou!

I didn't get out this weekend, but two of my friends did and they got this 32lb'er at Sheringham today! Great guys rewarded with a great fish!
9fddeec60862ae3b2ef4fb6d10afbdd6.jpg

not a biggie...but got a 10lb white off Victoria today. The whites can run right into mid September...I got a 32 white off Vic two years ago on September 15th. Hopefully they are coming!
two of mine last year were third week Sept.... But seeing pic above looks like they are here now.

'I had a trip planned for later afternoon/evening off sooke today, But after looking at the weather report im a bit discouraged. Anybody else planning to head put this evening?

Picked up a couple of coho near Secretary Island on Sunday. Both around 8-10lbs hatchery. Fished from about 930 to 1130. First one at about 1030am on a pink squirt with 110' on the downrigger. Second at 11am on an anchovy with 85' on the DR. We also had a big strike with a green hoochie on a shallow line. I think we might have been lucky as I didn't see much action going on in the boats nearby. Beautiful flat calm, sunny morning. Saw a grey whale as well.

Back