Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Good day for the Wolf crew ONE thing I love about what I do is taking new people who have never gone before and today was one lucky day, FLAT calm and not alot of boats where I was fishing we managed to get 4 in and lost 3 others but it doesn't matter these people are hooked!!!! They LOVED the BC coast and Vancouver Island .....

They commented how nice the people of Sooke are the good seafood and the restaurants and how clean it is and the funnest part NO mosquitoes and bugs, they loved being able to sit outside last night without being pestered by them....

Im sure they will be back...

Good luck Wolf

Wolf, we take the no bugs for granted. I have relatives from Alberta and Manitoba and they can't believe how lucky we are with the bugs....... Spend some time in Winnipeg in the summer, man we have it good :)

Did I lay blame on the guys who's gear the fish got into? NO I simply stated that the fish got into their gear and is simply a result of fishing in a crowd of other boats all wanting to fish the same tack. And why I seldom fish these spots anymore.

Profisher. .... The reports that you, wolf and others post regularly are useful and appreciated by us weekend dwarriors who cannot have our finger on the pulse of the fishery.they are helpful and straightforward. Thanks

Englishman, if you have any spare time, please start a grammar club for wayward Sooke fishers. Lesson one should be on punctuation of prose to eliminate run on sentences which make the author seem like a dumb dick rather than just a regular dick. Anyone that offers fishing reports and tips need not attend, regardless of his or her writing ability.

Well written, Tubber, and edited, SpringVelocity. Concise and clear! LOL...LOL...

I'm heading out to a day on the water tomorrow morning in hopes of catching a fish.

Englishman, if you have any spare time, please start a grammar club for wayward Sooke fishers. Lesson one should be on punctuation of prose to eliminate run on sentences which make the author seem like a dumb dick rather than just a regular dick. Anyone that offers fishing reports and tips need not attend, regardless of his or her writing ability.
Tubber,

I am flattered you believe I am worthy of such a task. But I fear that those with a poorer command of the English language unfortunately know many words with which to tell me to "go forth and multiply"! LOL :)
Meanwhile I will continue to make my humble contributions and hope that they are reasonably well regarded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trophy79:-

Bloody Nose teaser heads and Coho Killers(the spoons)......although the CK's shown are not necessarily the best colors for Sooke area...

020.jpg

Good day for the Wolf crew ONE thing I love about what I do is taking new people who have never gone before and today was one lucky day, FLAT calm and not alot of boats where I was fishing we managed to get 4 in and lost 3 others but it doesn't matter these people are hooked!!!! They LOVED the BC coast and Vancouver Island .....

They commented how nice the people of Sooke are the good seafood and the restaurants and how clean it is and the funnest part NO mosquitoes and bugs, they loved being able to sit outside last night without being pestered by them....

Im sure they will be back...

Good luck Wolf

Lol,, we have two seasons in Alberta, Snow & Mosquitoes !! Ahh heck they aren't that bad, they keep you from falling a sleep when yer in your tree stand on those early fall bow hunts..

out from 8-4 today one wild coho. Was slow saw one fish landed all day. Really nice day out there today.

This was the first time I had marked the number of fish as I did today. Yes I saw small groups of socs and cohos on the screen but some of the arches were big and deep and just singles. Many even came in the look at the gear in the 90-140 ft deep range with no takers. Im curious to see if others out today marked so much with such a lack of action.

-KK

Tried out the spring gear in the bay for 2 hours, then the sockeye gear out at 550' off secretary. There were 8 boats out there an one fellow landed 2 socks and 1 teen white spring. 120' down. Seems fish are self selecting as I had no keepers. As I was pulling in the gear at 1:30 the boat beside me, near Creke, in 180 ft of water, hooked into a good one. They were at the stand still stage with rod bent over and limited winding of the reel when I left to dock the boat. There is always a next day. Water was great today.

On the water 4-7 tonight from head to Aldridge 5 strikes, 3 on, 1 wild coho released. All bait 80-100 on rigger. Soft hits or raking bait makes me think not real hungry? Just a guess but fish won tonight. Great water and better action than my last few 7 hours trips! Maybe...

Out today with the boys...for a jaunt to the west to search for fishes when we picked up a scrappy 22lbs that eventually made its way into the boat. We fished around for a bit more before we decided to head out and look for soxs, but unfortunately the boats we saw out there were whale watchers...so we hung out and watched a big transient whale make its way through the plethora of whale watching boats. We decided to buck all traditional wisdom and fish anyway and were rewarded right away with a clipped coho, then a wild one hit our gear that was in the was about to go down...then shortly after we picked up a beauty sockeye, about a 8 lbs. The weather was amazing today, no fog, all sun with the wind holding off so we decided for another go at the big springs closer to shore. We did a couple of warm up laps by the lighthouse and quickly got into another fighter that peeled out half a spool of line before succumbing to some superior angling and making its way to our boat, a very feisty 16 lb'er.

We decided to change locales again and worked Secretary for the last bit, for old times sake...but ran out of time before we could put a tyee in the boat. All in all, an awesome time out today, it felt like how the whole summer should have been; sun, fun and fish.

Not saying we didn't grind it out...cause we did, just we got fish for our troubles. All the fish looked really healthy and strong.
image.jpgimage.jpg
Big guy looks pretty happy right? He said if it was a 30 he was going to start kissing people...kinda glad it was only a 22!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done great to see multiple salmon species. I still havent gotten a Soc yet. And I spent sopme time with pink squirts on. Were you using squirts? and how deep?

-KK

Esquimalt angler derby squirts! Out at 450 and I think it was 85 feet to 65 feet. Pink squirts on green flashers with a dumby off the ball as well.

Anyone been trying deep for springs lately?

I was reading the winter harbour report--"Springs were in 300 to 400 ft of water-225 to 250 on the wire. Nogs needle -bare, 3.5 custom glow green and white coyote. Large pearl glo wench hoochy with white double flash LED-nothing big-20 to 25 lbs but nice quality fish."

....and thought there may be some Springs moving through in deeper water around Sooke as well. Would be an interesting thing to try if you were out deeper for sockeye and coho...

Has anyone been trying the deeper water lately? I think Englishman caught a few out there late July/ early August...
Cheers!

I was reading the winter harbour report--"Springs were in 300 to 400 ft of water-225 to 250 on the wire. Nogs needle -bare, 3.5 custom glow green and white coyote. Large pearl glo wench hoochy with white double flash LED-nothing big-20 to 25 lbs but nice quality fish."

....and thought there may be some Springs moving through in deeper water around Sooke as well. Would be an interesting thing to try if you were out deeper for sockeye and coho...

Has anyone been trying the deeper water lately? I think Englishman caught a few out there late July/ early August...
Cheers!
Yep, I got three teeners on different days fishing from 135 -160' in 250-400' feet of water, about the time period you say.

And that Winter harbour report tallies with something else I posted about that I saw on the sounder around the same time. A continuous band of fish echoes from 260-340' in 400' of water that stretched for some distance. Too deep for me to fish at the time. Not seen anything like that the last three times out though...

It's possible but generally by the time they have gotten down here they are keyed into the shoreline and will stay between 130 - 40' in the water column. In winter harbour those are are offshore fish coming from the open ocean, totally different pattern then down here.

When you see a whack of arches on your sounder down 200' plus off sooke it's either the thermocline or hake, not likely salmon -- although I'd love to be proven wrong.

Back