O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

We made the trip over to Sandheads today from the Island. I was going to fish Porlier this morning but couldn't resist running across because it was flat calm on the Strait. Even saw some Orcas en route. Marked some big schools in close but no biters. A few jumpers until about 10am, then everything went quiet. Managed to trick one dark sockeye and that was it. We stayed longer than we needed to only because it was such a beauty day on the water. Flat calm coming back home too. Only saw one seal steal a fish - cheeky bugger too! We probably need some rain to convince the remaining sockeye to get closer to the Fraser. Until then they'll just lolly gag further north. Doubtful we'll make any more trips over. Good luck to all y'all! SS

I got to South Arm today around 8:00am. Lots of boats, only saw a few jumpers at the mouth of the river. Only got one bite, but got off quick. Only saw about 3 fish on other peoples lines just after the tide changed around 11am. Stuck around enjoying the calm water and sun till 1pm. No luck for us today.

Arrived at the boat launch at the end of #2 rd. Could see the top of some dumb azz's submerged jeep just east of the ramp. I guess he though it was a good idea to do some 4x4ing at low tide. He ended up getting stuck and didn't get out.

Rain is coming, hope we get a few more good days out there with some new fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
7WETWzQ.jpg

NEeK81b.jpg

similar report to others from Sunday. sandheads was super calm and sunny for a change but the biting fish were sparse. There was a quick bite at around 10:30am and hooked into 4 sox in 10 minutes but nothing before or after that. Was funny to see dozens of the 100 or so boats swarm towards the biting fish once they say a few biters. It got really tight in around this one school for about 15 minutes and a few oblivious drivers out there, including a small lund who inadvertently (i hope) ran me so close to an oncoming boat that we got riggered for a few seconds.... luckily we somehow got free after seeing my downrigger line rizing to the surface and one of his reels peeling line. I don't think the lund boat even noticed any of this going on.

anyways, awesome sox fishery this year despite not tripling 2010 numbers as some had hoped ;) - May be a few stragglers out there for those who aren't sockeyed out. I'm done for a bit but managed to get a couple dozen people out fishing over the past month who otherwise wouldn't have had the chance/interest. Hopefully a few of them are now hooked! thx to all who contributed with weather/fishing reports to make things easier for all.

I was also out at the sandaheads Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was a bit snotty and only picked up two socs. Sunday was alot better, found a couple nice schools and picked up our limit of twelve in four hours. Out from 9am to 1pm. Saw lots of fish caught, it was pretty tight fishing when we found the schools.

We fished Sand Heads yesterday (Sunday) from noon until 6:30. No action at all until near tide change at 5:30. Then they started jumping and nets were waiving everywhere. We were fishing in 450 feet of water, down about 80 feet. Landed 3 and lost a few more. Good things come to those who sleep in, I guess! Beautiful afternoon on the water.

Yup. Brought it back on Wednesday, quick tour around the south of the island and home for the winter. Out of Burrard Civic now, but that nice pub at Milltown has me thinking about moving over. If they'd give me the same or lower rate, I'd be there come April for sure.

Next time (and maybe last time for the year?) out on Friday with my son for the Firefighters derby.

I was thinking the same thing. I was out at the Ambleside yesterday around 11:30 (low tide) fishing from shore. The guy next to me hooked into a nice sized Coho, but it jumped and bent his hook and got off. Saw a few caught from boats also. Unfortunately nada for me.

Thinking I'll try this weekend. Hopefully some reports by then. What's the tackle of choice this time round? Green flasher with chovi? I managed a couple of coho mid summer off the south end of Quadra island on green with army trucks.

Green flasher with chovi? I managed a couple of coho mid summer off the south end of Quadra island on green with army trucks.

Chovies....glow heads in chartreuse/purple or chromish....personally I have liked the newer flashers with the Kinetic and glow or UV to them. Saw a lot of them in the air ;) last week at the Cap.

Kinetic and chovy was in the air a few times for us last weekend :)

Seemed to be the meal of choice for teen springs.

Fished west van yesterday didn't fish amongst the boats doing the cap tack to windy for fishin solo out of my tin , hit one coho west of pink building small coho released it .... 70-80 feet of water ... moved to one of the markers in the harbour where the wind wasn't as bad and had something of size on and snapped off , bye bye teaser head ahhh actually bye bye fish . Cheers !

Fished west van yesterday didn't fish amongst the boats doing the cap tack to windy for fishin solo out of my tin , hit one coho west of pink building small coho released it .... 70-80 feet of water ... moved to one of the markers in the harbour where the wind wasn't as bad and had something of size on and snapped off , bye bye teaser head ahhh actually bye bye fish . Cheers !

What time were you out yesterday? I was fishing the beach around 4-6pm. Tide was coming up and the river was a bit swollen. Lots of the fish have probably run up the river. Only saw 4 jumpers compared to Tuesday when you couldn't count the number of jumpers. Hoping to get out tomorrow in the boat. Maybe the wife will bring some Lady Luck.

Late report. Fished last Sunday in the Harbour. Had a few bites around the Cap but none stuck. Moved over to the bell, caught and released 2 Sole and a Rockfish then lost a nice Spring after a good battle.

Fished from 12 till 5 today ... changed gear a lot , no hits till 4:30 ... then i hit a nice size bullet coho on a coho killer 15' on the rigger , west of cap mouth .what a twisting fight :D .

As my first post.... Who was the guy in the Grady who ran over my lines, snagged my third line, disconnected my flasher and then threw it in the ocean when trying to return it despite us telling to hold on to it until we were close enough? Then you took off without even an apology! Two weeks ago at sandheads.
You owe me a new rig (and an apology).

Back