Trophy Handle Upgrade To Shimano Paddles

GDW

For those interested in replacing those tiny trophy handles for $3 each you can buy shimano paddles and put them on your reel without modifying the reel at all. You do need to make a small modification to the $3 plastic handle so it might be smart to buy an extra or two.

You can take stock shimano paddle handles and swap them to your trophy without modification but what happens is the screw bottoms out on the plastic handle and the handle won't spin when you reel. Try it before you drill and you'll see what I mean.

The solution is to slightly drill out the shimano handle so the screw does not bottom out on the plastic instead it tightens on the reel post. BUT don't go too deep or the handle slides back and forth on the post. It's a very small margin between a handle that won't spin, one that spins free and stays tight on the reel, and one that spins but slides in and out. I don't have measurements at this time but perhaps ill post pics and try to measure later. I bought two handles one I drilled too deep its garbage now but for $3 who cares. The other one works great. I've actually gotten them pre drilled from my faveorite tackle store. I won't say who because it might not be something they do all the time but it might be worth asking a good tackle shop who sells trophy's if they have shimano paddles and if they could pre drill it for you.

Apparently you need a flat head drill bit not one that comes to a point for best results.

Remember you don't need to make the hole any wider just a bit deeper.

That is interesting thanks for posting. I am going to look into that. I did the islander drag modification to the trophy reel and wow what a difference it made.

uvezu7am.jpg
utevy5un.jpg
ata9uvam.jpg

A couple pictures. You can see the far handle got drilled a little too much and now slides out off the reel a little. Might have to re do that one.

Pete, you just bought a house, and got some extra mouths to feed, you gonna need every 3$ you can get your hands on!!!

Het GDW.....thanks for posting this.

I am a bit confused though....what do you mean by drilling out the handle? Just trying to understand what is being drilled?

Where did you get your handles?

I've done this too... the shimano paddle knob has a stepped hole thru it. The small dia is where the knob spins on the 'post' sticking out of the reel face. The second larger counter bore ( machinist in me coming out - ha )
is bigger to allow the retaining screw to fit down inside the knob body and thread into the post. The depth of the counter bore is not quite deep enough on the shimano paddles. You need to use a flat bottom drill to drill the counter bore slightly deeper so when the screw is tightened, is does not bottom on the knob. The screw MUST tighten against the top of the post so the paddle knob can spin free

So it is the inside of the plastic that needs drilling out a little to keep the screws from bottoming out in the handle before it is tight?, for 3 bucks a little trial and error acceptable i think. Pretty sure my mind is made up now and a pair of QR's is what's on my shopping list :)

Here is an artists rendition of what Mr. Blue explained in technical terms.

remyne7u.jpg

It's a Picasso!

That's a cross section of the handle. You can see the hole at the bottom is narrow then part way up it steps wider. You need that wider hole to be just a little bit deeper. Once you buy the handles and put one on the reel without modification you'll know what to do.

It is key that your drill bit leaves a flat surface at the bottom like the picture most drill bits come to a point if you use that the screw won't tighten flush to the plastic.

Thanks GDW....makes more sense now. Care to share where you found handles? Direct from Shimano?

Back