Jughead new!

Seafever,

Like Dogbreath I use a rubber gum pucky in the head! It stays tight in the Juggie once the hoochy is pulled tight into the head. I also recommend adding a mylar skirt for some extra flash.

Cheers.

I know they don't recommend it ,but because we troll so fast in Mexico I put a toothpick thru the head and hootchy-just to be sure!

The medium size was recommended to me for a standard hoochy.

I bought 3 PRE-RIGGED packaged Jugheads....so they came with line , hook, swivel, etc.

Not sure what pound test the leader supplied is.......30Lb? Not sure I'd want to run 40lb with these.....

The hook that came with them was IMO kind of lightgauge wimpy...so I changed those out for a slightly stronger hook.

The bead that was supplied was a bit small too....

I'll change to a gumpucky in the head and see what happens first......might have to toothpick if all else fails....

Thanks for info........:)

Dinner Fit for a Ling

Been getting quite a few PM's regards x-tra large juggies for bottom fish with Salmon belly's. There are several different set-ups here-some with fixed beads and some that can be moved and used as stops. These were taken from the freezer-pre-rigged for Winter Harbour this weekend. Still working on them, seemed worthwhile last time but rigging the belly's while getting tossed about wasn't the answer so I'm trying pre-rigging like we do bait in Mexico. No question the Jugs and belly's or xtra large herring work-just trying to figure the easiest way to rig and deliver them. Will let you know Monday.

Attachments

• DSC01365.jpg
    DSC01365.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 629
Tried the pink squirts today for Sox in Van @ T-10 .....caught 1 then nothin for a long time so I switched up to a
Jughead hootchie with a small glow head with multicoloured / foil tentacles and BAM caught
1 @ 50 ft......then when I re rigged for another pass Bam another hit. Ended up with 3 fish
2 of them on this unexpected lure...can't wait for tomorrow!!

Mike
Van BC

The medium size was recommended to me for a standard hoochy.

I bought 3 PRE-RIGGED packaged Jugheads....so they came with line , hook, swivel, etc.

Not sure what pound test the leader supplied is.......30Lb? Not sure I'd want to run 40lb with these.....

The hook that came with them was IMO kind of lightgauge wimpy...so I changed those out for a slightly stronger hook.

The bead that was supplied was a bit small too....

I'll change to a gumpucky in the head and see what happens first......might have to toothpick if all else fails....

Thanks for info........:)

Seafever, "standard hoochies" or Octo hoochies best fit in a small Jughead. Cuttlefish hoochies fit the medium Jughead best. And, I never use gum puckies. Just beads.
I designed the packaging for Jugheads. I apologize as it is my fault that it does not state that 40 lb. mono is used (on all pre-rigged Jugheads). Packaging will change.
Beads are a matter of choice. Some don't prefer glow either but ya can't please everyone ...impossible :)
The High Speed Roller Swivels used are 40 kg. and I believe that the 3/O hooks are 50 kg? - waiting for verification and on the 4/O hooks. Nevertheless, the hooks will be well above the 40 kg. swivels.
...hope that helps you out.

Keep Your Rod Tip Up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Got back from Winter Harbour sunday night-fabulous weather -slow salmon fishing-so much so that putting the jugheads down with the pre-rigged salmon bellies was kind of a last hour thing. Only used 3 of them. What a pleasant surprise. Not the best area but the action was non-stop-lings ,hali's, yellow eye
Black bass-great fun. Thought it was a winner-bit of a learning curve getting the troll right and making sure we were close to the bottom-no balls lost and I can't wait to do it again. I have attached the picture showing the pre-rigged salmon bellies. No easier way to do it!!

Attachments

• DSC01365.jpg
    DSC01365.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 366
AJ:- the burning question for me is :- how tight does that hoochy have to be in the head?

I've noticed that whenever the hoochy has any looseness, the head will tend to spin by itself separate from the hoochy.

In the pic are medium jugheads......I put a gumpucky in both hoochies and they seem to go in pretty tight now.....but I think using beads might make it "track" straighter..

I was told by a guy that fishes jugs a lot that you don't want the hoochy sticking up as in the "army truck' example.....

you want it tracking straight like the "splatterback" example.......

with the gumpuckies, because there is space in the top of the head when you push it in, it does have a tendency to want to stickup like the "army truck" hoochy in pic.....

I guess what I'm looking for is the best way to make it go in head so it tracks straight and no looseness at all........

But I take into account your reply of switching to the smaller jug for hoochies........

001.jpg

AJ:- the burning question for me is :- how tight does that hoochy have to be in the head?

I've noticed that whenever the hoochy has any looseness, the head will tend to spin by itself separate from the hoochy.

In the pic are medium jugheads......I put a gumpucky in both hoochies and they seem to go in pretty tight now.....but I think using beads might make it "track" straighter..

I was told by a guy that fishes jugs a lot that you don't want the hoochy sticking up as in the "army truck' example.....

you want it tracking straight like the "splatterback" example.......

with the gumpuckies, because there is space in the top of the head when you push it in, it does have a tendency to want to stickup like the "army truck" hoochy in pic.....

I guess what I'm looking for is the best way to make it go in head so it tracks straight and no looseness at all........

But I take into account your reply of switching to the smaller jug for hoochies........

The Spatter Back looks correct, as it is in the packaging. I've never heard of a Jughead spinning in front of a Hoochie tho. I stuff my Hoochie and bead tightly into Jughead.
Feelin Nauti recommends putting a bead in front of the Hoochie. The energy from the Jughead is transferred thru to the Hoochie - solid to solid (Jughead to bead).
I'm glad to see you're experimenting Seafever. Are you using flashers? How long of leaders are you using?

fishing for kids

Just landing after great trip for the Canucks Autism Network fishing derby. On first fun no competion
day caught a few and then put down mat white hoochie with glow juggie no in line flasher nailed a nice take home fish ( pic to come) then a bunch of other lived to swim again. Had great pleasure of fishing with one of 'the greats', the Bavarian, who got me in with second on a traditional cut plug. Next day sitting now in third vs 42 lb winner decided to mess around. Lost my best fish of trip @ 60 ft in fish bowl on same white juggie rig up - dull hook - my bad.tubbed out on nice fish in short last day morning. Guides were skeptical until they kept seeing the streakers coming up and hooking up. We were hog hunting and no question they work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 599
Last edited by a moderator:
[c1eL3SY7OlE] http://youtu.be/c1eL3SY7OlE
Posed this in the victoria reports.
Clipped coho goes back 4x and lastly for just the jughead.real aggressive.

Back