Oyster harvesting

salty-dog

Maybe y'all can help me out a bit here. I was looking over the shellfish harvesting regs for area 17 { Nanaimo}. Am I reading the regs wrong or what?? It appears that every bit of accessible locations in this area are off limits to pick oysters- worse still, again if I am reading it right, its closed all year long.

I checked the biotoxin closures and they are lifted for many areas, but then, "emergency contamination closures" are in effect.

Is this what you get from reading the regs? It seems the regs are too convoluted to make much sense- why lift one ban then throw another on top as oppossed to just closing an area then showing why. Lifting one then enacting another { on a seperate page } makes it confusing and potentially dangerous if someone did not check for BOTH types of closures.

yar,, cook the hell of out em or die!!!

Maybe y'all can help me out a bit here. I was looking over the shellfish harvesting regs for area 17 { Nanaimo}. Am I reading the regs wrong or what?? It appears that every bit of accessible locations in this area are off limits to pick oysters- worse still, again if I am reading it right, its closed all year long.

I checked the biotoxin closures and they are lifted for many areas, but then, "emergency contamination closures" are in effect.

Is this what you get from reading the regs? It seems the regs are too convoluted to make much sense- why lift one ban then throw another on top as oppossed to just closing an area then showing why. Lifting one then enacting another { on a seperate page } makes it confusing and potentially dangerous if someone did not check for BOTH types of closures.

I think the they are sanitary closures ie: if the beach is too close to a populated area, all that raw sewage that gets pumped into the ocean contaminates them. Gross huh :p

My understanding is they don't have time/money to check for red tide so they close it just in case.

In the 90's I used to eat oysters off the beaches near bowser every summer yum yum!

My understanding is they don't have time/money to check for red tide so they close it just in case.

This. When the closure notices go up on the same date every year, you start to smell a rat. Been disregarding the PSP closures and taking shellfish from the same selected locations for 15+ years.

I have my honey holes as well and haven't done without for several years. You do need to read closely. Other than the inner harbours and bays like Hammond Bay which are surrounded by residences, many which were on septic systems for years and all have storm sewer systems dumping in, a lot of the North Nanaimo water front and Nanoose are generally open. There are a couple contamination closures in the immediate proximity to the storm drain outfalls and then along the front of Lantzville, but below rocky point, Icarus Point, Brickyard normally no problems. Nanoose Bay has good clamming and oysters (along north shore). Watch for shell fish farms there.
As far as PSP closures, I agree with Sly Karma, it appears to be more of a scare conservation tactic, but then again, there are people that would blame DFO for not closing it if perchance they got sick. I hear of more sickness from restaurants in Vancouver than from harvesters on the island. My family and myself have oysters, clams & mussels we harvest both locally and on the west coast at least once a month and never have we been sick. Maybe a hangover from the tequila we swill with the raw oysters, but not from the food.

I've noticed all the closures have been in effect around here for the past two years straight. Being that I spend lots of time on the water, the main observation is that the only places that are closed are where it is easy to get to the shellfish.

That area in Nanoose where there are several farms and a small picking area has had a closure sign up for so long, it is rusty. That said, why is it only the public picking place is closed, but the farms that surround it are allowed to harvest? Even with the sign up, there are plenty of people out there picking every day. Same at Neck Point. Old sign, people picking anyway.

Is it a preservation tactic, forgotten signs, or preventive measures behind the DFO just not wanting to do any testing?

Like the situation regarding those Chinook fry in Alberni, getting answers from the DFO just ain't going to happen.

You will find (or at least I did) the signs have been up forever and if you read most closely they are saying to contact DFO website to check for closures. Go to their Fishery Notices page for recreational fishing and you will find the most up to date information on closures for contamination and PSPs. Notices come out at least weekly and more often during the summer. Check this link out. http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/x...cfm?pg=search_options&lang=en&id=recreational. Go to the notices and scroll through the list for current conditions in your area. Then go check the seasonal contamination closures. There are specific maps showing exact locations of the contaminated areas around storm sewer outfalls, harbors, etc. At one of my favorite oyster spots I park under the closure sign and walk down the beach beyond the closed area and get my goodies. Oysters and clams.
A good clam spot that I have never known to close is Nanoose Bay, Park in by the Pentacostal Church camp and walk out quite a ways on the beach. The clams are small, but there's no shortage and the kids will love the beach, tidal pools and sand dollars. Over to the north side are oysters.
Good luck.

Down by Nanoose Bay near the pullout on the highway there is a time worn trail to the beach by the old burned out sawmill site.

First thing you see when you cross the tracks is a "Private Property...Keep Out!" sign.....

Is this really legal?....can they do that on the strip of land between the tracks and the beach?

And......once you get past the highwater mark on the beach, how much legal recourse do they have to commandeer that?

Back