Nootka sound / Esperanza reports Spring/Summer 2013

Thanks SF. That was my guess based 3 visits. I am limited because I can only fish inside. I have a 16.5 Explorer but not much boating experience so outside is beyond me.

Just for my own education and journal -could someone give us a report for Nootka after or during the gillnet fishery please. Just want to make sure how this affects the fishing in the outer sound areas. Thanks

Just for my own education and journal -could someone give us a report for Nootka after or during the gillnet fishery please. Just want to make sure how this affects the fishing in the outer sound areas. Thanks

Going to be at Critter Cove 19th through the 22nd and i believe there is another opening on the 20th so i can let you know then if that helps.

Just back from there i was there during the opening , Commies were talking on the radio they never got the 10,000 pieces they were allowed so there was to be another opening 1 week later . I was fishing hoise and further out and it was fine .
The opening boundry was from Critter to canuma , lots of boats

Just back from there i was there during the opening , Commies were talking on the radio they never got the 10,000 pieces they were allowed so there was to be another opening 1 week later . I was fishing hoise and further out and it was fine .
The opening boundry was from Critter to canuma , lots of boats

Next opening is the 20th for 4 hours

Just got back tonight. Fished 5 days. Made it to Bajo twice. The rest of the time off Hoiss, San Carlos, Three Bay etc. The commie opening didn't seem to impact our results inside at all. I noticed several commercial guys tied up at in Gold River today, so, clearly they planned a second opening. Off shore was a Ho fest again. Can't keep the gear in the water 5 minutes without hitting coho. We had no luck at Bajo for Springs at all. Weather was glass calm early in the week out there. We stayed out late in the evening with about 40 other boats. Calmest I've seen there. Most of our fish caught inside were 15-25 lbs all caught on anchovy. Managed to get our limits without too much of a challenge. Didn't see a lot of large fish. A lot of rain during the week. Rain gear was well used. Yesterday was no pleasure hearing the coast guard seeking assistance finding the Nootka Air aircraft that crashed. The weather was terrible. Not sure how anyone could see/fly in those conditions.

Commercial fisheries are part of the game to me. What's frustrating is not knowing how, when or why they are allowed at certain times in certain areas. What's needed is education for all. I grabbed this link for the Moutcha Bay site. For what's its worth ....... Voice your opinions to Bill Shaw (DFO in Nanaimo) bill.shaw@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Heading back up on Sunday so just wanted to determine how the fishing has been affected by the openings. No laughing matter. Fishing has been awesome in Sooke so tough decision to travel to Nootka if there aren't many fish........

hud52, I just spent the last 4 out of 5 days on the reef and hwy and we came back with 8 springs and 8 coho each day. Each day we were catching over 50 salmon so it's been very hot. The sea has been very calm which helps. Inside fishing after the netting has been good as long as you stay west of Critter.

Just spent 37 days fishing knootka full limits for all guests,no mackerel so that was a great thing you knew your gear was hit by salmon really nice compared to last year.Anyways I didnt find that the comie opening hurt the fishing and from what I heard they took two thousand more fish then they were supposed to a real shocker!!!! You just had to fish further out then the wall or of course offshore was nuts with coho,springs and hali.anchovy inside worked very well with certain purple flashers and out a bajo was great with needle fish patterns and spoons,hope everyone is enjoying there summer since its been a killer year for fish all over good luck..

Tight lines
Billydoo

Just spent 37 days fishing knootka full limits for all guests,no mackerel so that was a great thing you knew your gear was hit by salmon really nice compared to last year.Anyways I didnt find that the comie opening hurt the fishing and from what I heard they took two thousand more fish then they were supposed to a real shocker!!!! You just had to fish further out then the wall or of course offshore was nuts with coho,springs and hali.anchovy inside worked very well with certain purple flashers and out a bajo was great with needle fish patterns and spoons,hope everyone is enjoying there summer since its been a killer year for fish all over good luck..

Tight lines
Billydoo

As to the commie opening they got a total of 12hrs to make a living,you got to fish 37 days to make yours perhaps you should just be grateful for your own opportunitys.

Fished 19th through 22nd the opening had no affect as far as i could tell.

Tight lines
Billydoo

Hey greenhornet just for your info the commercial fishery only took 6700 pieces. They were allowed 9600 so they didn't catch their allocation it re-opens next Tues night again but most of the fish are inside the boundry so fleet and catch will be small. Not sure why their is so much complaining about this fishery it is short in duration and they are enough fish for everyone to share in. The sport fishery has been great in Area 25 this year and the commercial guys got a chance to make some money also.

Back