Nootka sound / Esperanza reports Spring/Summer 2013

Got back Saturday from 5 days. Stayed at Tuta for the first time and probably won't be going back there. Quite a lot of released fish for us as they were of the smaller size. 9 of the 12 were caught jigging with stings. Camel was the hot spot for us but jigged them up at four different spots. Found a hole on the south side of Camel where in 1 hour we picked up 3 in the twenties on Friday to limit out but lost 7 as they were wild trying out for Cirque de Soleil or something. Already looking forward to next year.

Agree with not going back to Tuta they wanted 65$ a night for camp and moorage , for a bit more I would stay at Moucha Bay .
Way nicer place ,,,,

Day 1 fished out towards Estevan .
Nice conditions especially after getting blown off for a week straight when we were here 2 weeks ago.
Plenty of Lings to 30# at our first stop.
Next stop drop down and double on 80# class Hali's
Reset and next drop deja vu doubled up again on similar size fish
Don gets one more big Hali and we needed a break.
Fished a few more rocks for lings and assorted rockfish.
All fish caught on 8 and 12 oz scampi jigs with the barbs pinched for easier release.
Kept one big goldeneye for dinner otherwise all fish released.
A little sporty unhooking the jigs from those big Hali"s
One our best days ever fishing Tahsis for myself and fishing buddy Don
Looking forward to see what the rest of the week brings

Heard that the gill netters are moving in tonight to clean out the chinook on the inside. Hope they leave a few for us when we get there. I heard potential 4000 chinook is their goal, but who knows could be more.

Yup, DFO is pretty sad at managing this resource. Bend over for the commercials any time they cry, opening was suppose to be near the end of the month. Some how it got bumped up by pressure from the commercial boys.

Heard that the gill netters are moving in tonight to clean out the chinook on the inside. Hope they leave a few for us when we get there. I heard potential 4000 chinook is their goal, but who knows could be more.
Perfect, and I had planned to get there for Saturday. Up to 9600 pieces are available for the gillnetters spaced out in 3 openings. What I need to know is WHEN are the other 2 openings???? Might have to change my plans:(

Gill nets open 8.0 hours, commencing 20:30 hours Tuesday, August 13, 2013 until
04:30 hours Wednesday, August 14, 2013.
Fishing will occur in that portion of Subarea 25-4 northerly of a line from a
boundary sign located approximately 0.4 nautical miles north of Three Coves Bay
at or near 49 degrees 42.166' north, 126 degrees 29.361' west to a fishing
boundary sign on the opposite shore of Tlupana Inlet at or near 49 degrees
42.629 north and 126 degrees 29.991 west and that portion of Subarea 25-5
southerly of a line from a fishing boundary sign approximately 0.8 nautical
miles north-westerly of Perpendicular Bluff at or near 49 degrees 46.344' north
and 126 degrees 27.631' west and to a fishing boundary sign on the opposite
shore of Tlupana Inlet at or near 49 degrees 46.420' north and 126 degrees
28.625' west. Hisnit Inlet and Nesook Bay are closed.
To date, the cumulative CPUE in the Nootka-Esperanza recreational fishery is
1.3, suggesting the return of Conuma chinook higher than the pre-season
forecast of 17,000. The updated in-season terminal forecast based on the CPUE
index is 28,000 chinook. At this run size, there are up to 9,600 fish
available as expected catch for harvest by Area D gillnets. This expected
catch is not a TAC. Catch will be distributed over two openings over two
weeks, based on limiting the fishery to a 25 to 35% harvest rate. Length of
the August 13 fishery will be no longer than 8.0 hours and may be shorter if
catch rates are higher then expected.
The target species is Chinook; incidentally caught Coho and Chum may be
retained. Sockeye, pink and steelhead may not be retained.
The maximum gill net length is 183 meters (by agreement with the Area D Harvest
Committee). Maximum depth is 60 meshes, minimum mesh size is 171 mm, and
maximum hang ratio is 3:1, cork-line to web distance minimum 0 cm, maximum 2.0
m. Alaska Twist and or Multi-strand web may be used.
Variation Order No. 2013-Sal-25-GN-01
A large recreational fleet is expected during daylight hours in Tlupana Inlet.
Fishermen are asked to minimize their wake when travelling. The gill net fleet
is also requested to mark nets with 5 additional white floats along the
corkline to increase the visibility of nets to passing vessels.
Fisheries and Oceans Canada is interested in reports of sea turtles in BC
waters. By documenting sightings we are able to learn more about how, when, and
where these turtles are using our waters. If you see a sea turtle, please call
this toll-free phone number: 1-866-I SAW ONE (1-866-472-9663). Please include
information such as the type of sea turtle seen (i.e. leatherback), the
location, and time of sighting.
Fishers are requested to avoid fishing among birds and not to run the line if
birds are near the net. Fishers are requested to retain all dead birds which
are entangled and to release live and unharmed birds by placing them in the
water. Please check all birds for metal bird bands (rings) on the leg. If a
bird is banded please contact Laurie Wilson with the band number and capture
date and location at 1-866-431-2473 (BIRD) or by the email below. Handle birds
with gloves, double bag dead birds and label each bird with date, time, and
location and store them on ice. Please call your local charter patrol to
organize pick-up or drop them off at a local DFO office. Alternatively, please
send photographs of birds with a reference object such as a coin, and the date,
time and location to laurie.wilson@ec.gc.ca. Your names and vessel names do not
need to be identified or included.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just returned from a really quick trip to Nootka-Mon, tues. Burdwood- some coho some springs-there may be an early bite-we got there at 9'am- released a 10 lber-water was flat -straight to Bajo-strictly a coho show -lots of them-few hatchery-proceeded out to the hiway-in 310 ft of water 180 ft of wire we started getting a few reasonable springs-hi-teens. Evening fished inside around canal island hit a few nice ones. Next morning finished our limit there and headed home.
Used chovy's with an LED teezer, green double glow splatterback hootchy, White cuttlefish Hoochy with a double flash LED and finally a 3.5 coyote spoon-nasty boy. We also were using an experimental lure still in the development stage-which did exceedingly well. When the legal work is all covered I'll tell you about it and post some pics. Meanwhile here is some fish **** from the trip-the first clue is notice how dark it is!!

Attachments

• DSC01178.jpg
    DSC01178.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 409
9600 pieces caught by sports fishers puts a lot more money in the economy than the commie commercial guys do .
they can do a days work wiping out a resource so they can qualify for UI for another year and sit on their arses
I hear the opening is the day before the children hospital derby out of cougar creek, pathetic management

Well I'll be there thursday. What a buzz kill at the least, heard fishing was excellent but after this who knows. Might be an expensive boat ride for less than stellar fishing. My fishing partners are beside themselves, can't believe they are doing this prime time and going back on their word to all the lodges that met with DFO this last winter, stating that they promised no openings till the last weekend of August. This is going to hurt big time.

This is terrible news. I was also planning on being there Thursday. Luckily I have a bit of flexibility so I can postpone until Saturday. I have only fished Nootka 3 times but once was about 7 days after the commie's and it was ok. Any opinions if 3 days is too soon after a commie visit?

if those are columbia river fish it might affect the tofino, euculet, bamfield fishing for the next week or 2 after also... hope not.. or is the area they're opening guaranteeing these are mostly conuma fish?

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 1 fished out towards Estevan .
Nice conditions especially after getting blown off for a week straight when we were here 2 weeks ago.
Plenty of Lings to 30# at our first stop.
Next stop drop down and double on 80# class Hali's
Reset and next drop deja vu doubled up again on similar size fish
Don gets one more big Hali and we needed a break.
Fished a few more rocks for lings and assorted rockfish.
All fish caught on 8 and 12 oz scampi jigs with the barbs pinched for easier release.
Kept one big goldeneye for dinner otherwise all fish released.
A little sporty unhooking the jigs from those big Hali"s
One our best days ever fishing Tahsis for myself and fishing buddy Don
Looking forward to see what the rest of the week brings

Yessir Mike and Don,whacking them good!!! Must've been a sight both hooked up on BIG hali's,we gotta get us a GoPro for some of that type action in the future!Keep them warm for me next week!

The opening (at least this one) is for an area that covers just outside Moutcha Bay and just inside Critter Cove up Tlupana inlet to just south of the Conuma river. So the target will be just Conuma fish. What I need to know is when the other two openings are planned and will it be the same parameters as to location. Does anyone know how to get this informaiton? Do I just call the DFO hotline?

The opening (at least this one) is for an area that covers just outside Moutcha Bay and just inside Critter Cove up Tlupana inlet to just south of the Conuma river. So the target will be just Conuma fish. What I need to know is when the other two openings are planned and will it be the same parameters as to location. Does anyone know how to get this informaiton? Do I just call the DFO hotline?
To my knowledge (18 yrs) they have never opened it any other place but there. Slows fishing in that area for 3 to five days. Also seems to stack fish at the point where the opening line was. A lot depends on how many fish are yet to come-ie on the hiway, Bajo Ferrer point, The Monument and the Tahsis inlet. Based on what I saw yesterday (no springs at Bajo, some on the hi-way, few at Burwood -I would say this should have a definite impact.

To my knowledge (18 yrs) they have never opened it any other place but there. Slows fishing in that area for 3 to five days. Also seems to stack fish at the point where the opening line was. A lot depends on how many fish are yet to come-ie on the hiway, Bajo Ferrer point, The Monument and the Tahsis inlet. Based on what I saw yesterday (no springs at Bajo, some on the hi-way, few at Burwood -I would say this should have a definite impact.
Thanks SF. Much appreciated. I think I am still going, but it may be more cruising and exploring and less hard core fishing.

the obvious question, is why there is a commercial opening on what is a sport fish under the Salmon management plan? Coho & Chinook were to be primarily Sport Fish, and there are still plenty of Sport Fishermen who wish to utilize the resource.

The Canuma River hatchery may have in holding pens their fish, but the River is not going to be over capacity for its spawning beds. What is so wrong of having a bumper crop from the extra smolts produced, which will return in 4 & 5 years time, because of the increase in spawning fish this year?

Even last year when it was a slow year, the commercials did a gill net fishery in mid August, when the numbers in the Sound were relatively low. That was counter intuitive to building up run numbers for the future.

Drewski

The opening is up close to the Conuma River. Those fish are mostly dark and booty by now. I fished the day after an opening several years ago and it was my best day. Go outside the gillnet boundary line or beyond and it will be fine.

Back