Winter Harbour 2013

Headed up to Winter Harbour on July 7th for a 4 day trip, none of us had ever been up there for fishing so we had some learning to do. I towed my boat and trailer to Coal Harbour to launch and park the truck and trailer, $30. for the 4 days. As 2 of us headed out from there the other guy had a bunch of our gear and drove out to Winter Harbour, to Dick's Last Resort where we were booked. The trip out was a pretty easy run out the inlet and when we arrived the truck arrived at the same time, it was blowing like 20 right into the dock so our landing probably could have been a you tube video for sure.

Headed up to the cabin to check out the place, this is the view from the kitchen table.

Seems the key to fishing up here is you can do what the wind will let you, so we got up at 4 each day to check if we could get offshore and lucky for us on all but the last day we did. Headed out and rigged up some big herring, found some likely humps in 200 or so feet of water and dropped the gear. It took a bit of trying to get the lines running nice between swell and current, but when we could get to the bottom we hooked up pretty quickly. We like to troll deep and see what we get, it's usually a mixed bag of species. Each morning we fished till about 10 am.

In the afternoon when the wind came up we could hide in behind Kain Island to fish springs.

We were able to fish all 4 days and we came home with 3 guys 2 days limits of small hali, nice springs, 4 were 22 to 25lbs and 15 of our 18 allowed lings also a half dozen rockfish bycatch.

We must have hit it pretty good cause everywhere we dropped our lines we hit fish, even on the way back we dropped at cliff point to try it and had 2 salmon on in less than 5 minutes. Then the motor started making a nasty knocking noise so we picked up and nursed it back to Coal Harbour and headed home. We'll see Monday what's up with that.

You could see down to the Brooks and up to the Scott Islands.

Attachments

• IMG_1554.jpg
    IMG_1554.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,030
  • IMG_1557.jpg
    IMG_1557.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,020
  • IMG_1553.jpg
    IMG_1553.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,044
  • IMG_1570.jpg
    IMG_1570.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1,045
  • IMG_1572.jpg
    IMG_1572.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 1,034
You were lucky on the wx, gale force winds 4-7 Jul, for me, only got out a little
ways in my Whaler. Bet that pic was taken 8 Jul. Don't see any coho
in the picture either. Really like the screen on the front of your boat.

Great report, thanks,..................BB

Yep July 8, we never even landed a coho, might have hooked a couple though.

Even with all we caught the biggest ones still got away.

Just back from Wh-heard great things-sometimes our expectations get the best of us. Testing mostly the salmon teezer and trying as much as possible to stay away from the flashers. Kain Island by 1.30 pm fri. Blowing 20 kts-pushed out through the gut and it was very lumpy-got out to 200ft st out from the gut-turned downwind got out a chovie and a teezer plus a dble glo green splatterback-wind increasing fast we were only going to get the one tack past the end of Kains-1 hr tack produced 2 teener springs and a small hali - neting was difficult and we released 2 springs to 5 lbs. Next morning 5 .15am into grants but turned into a gong show quickly-too many boats, no courtesy. Definitely some big springs there-not my thing-left. Worked our way out to the pinnacles off shore-small springs and lots of chovie stealing pinks. Chovie and the teezer was picking up lots of fish-hali and ling. Started picking off springs to 25 lbs- chasing the bottom out to 200 ft. Then working 180 to 200 ft of wire into deeper water. No coho off shore. Went to the hiway worked that for awhile-slow for springs but the pinks were driving me crazy. Still by noon we had a 3 man limit of decent springs to 25-the teezer worked very well with spoons or anchovy and was catching more than the splatterback with flasher it was against. Lots of hook ups but there is a learning curve to landing a big spring from a deep troll with no flasher. Cliff point that evening for coho-fun fishing-hot hot hot!! coyotes and a teezer, nasty boy,watermellon and Halloween were the colors.

Next morning-great water-Grants gave up a few but again a gong show- no coho outside, pinks, Finished our limit of nice springs and put down 2 tomic 7 inch plugs (509-i think) one with a teezer on without-bounced bottom for Lings-teezer plug caught 7-3 were legal-the other 2 lings-none legal. Cliffe point-finished our 3 man limit for coho in an hour-lures as above depth 33 to 37 ft-fairly tight in -had to release a mid 20's spring. Crabbing was reasonable. Great trip-learned a lot about the teezer and when to use it-more on that in the teezer thread

Attachments

• DSC01144.jpg
    DSC01144.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 905
  • DSC01146.jpg
    DSC01146.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 910
It depends on what you mean about northern coho-if you are referring to those hook-nose beauties that top 20 lbs then you can start looking for them after aug15th or so at the normal spots up and down the sound. I usually don't target them until sept 1. Are they the true Northern coho-my gut says no-that they probably come a little later than that but by then it is raining so hard that only God could love the place. The trick to the coho I'm referring to is to watch the rain like a hawk-if you get a solid week of hard rain in mid-sept-its probably dead for awhile like maybe May-unless you have webbed feet.LOL

I believe you are correct with the timings regarding the true northern ho,s Plan on going to Wh last week of Aug so hopefully some of the bigger boys will be around at that time. Thanks for the response SF.......j.j

Just got back from three days on the water at WH fishing and staying with the Outpost. Four of us limited out on 15-25 lb springs and chickens. We got most of our cohos quickly but then they mysteriously stopped showing up. Lings were amazing, we got our 3 each of 15lb fish on the first day and then went on the hook after larger ones on the last day. We called it quits after getting 2 each, but all of those were 30+, with the three best being 40, 41 and 45. For us inlanders the sight of those huge prehistoric beasts from the deep was something to gape at in wonder.

We were lucky with wind and weather, got to fish outside all three days. We liked the entire setup at the Outpost: excellent boat, guide, accoms, fish processing area and general welcoming atmosphere. Thanks to all for the info on WH, now it's off to find some cod recipes!

20130720_144511[1].jpg

Those lings look nasty!

Thankfully you don't need to stare at their ugly mug when they show up on your dinner plate. Nice fish sounds like a great trip.

Just got back from three days on the water at WH fishing and staying with the Outpost. Four of us limited out on 15-25 lb springs and chickens. We got most of our cohos quickly but then they mysteriously stopped showing up. Lings were amazing, we got our 3 each of 15lb fish on the first day and then went on the hook after larger ones on the last day. We called it quits after getting 2 each, but all of those were 30+, with the three best being 40, 41 and 45. For us inlanders the sight of those huge prehistoric beasts from the deep was something to gape at in wonder.

We were lucky with wind and weather, got to fish outside all three days. We liked the entire setup at the Outpost: excellent boat, guide, accoms, fish processing area and general welcoming atmosphere. Thanks to all for the info on WH, now it's off to find some cod recipes!

View attachment 8188

Nice catch, I wonder how old those puppies are

Spring Fever will be off Kain island by 2 pm Mon thru wed afternoon. Any recent info appreciated. Working ch 6-green and white Orca. I share info-staying on the hook-drop by for a chat and see what we are testing this week. Will report thurs evening. Tight lines.

WH long weekend

Spring Fever will be off Kain island by 2 pm Mon thru wed afternoon. Any recent info appreciated. Working ch 6-green and white Orca. I share info-staying on the hook-drop by for a chat and see what we are testing this week. Will report thurs evening. Tight lines.

Sounds good, I am heading out Friday am until who knows!! Looking for halibut mainly, then I will target some springs! any info for the hali is much appreciated! Look forward to your report thursday pm!

have fun

We spent the weekend in Quatsino and managed to have a wonderful day jigging for coho on the inside. We had children with us so that was the focus though one of members of the group did get into a couple of springs cut plugging on the inside.

Heading up soon

We spent the weekend in Quatsino and managed to have a wonderful day jigging for coho on the inside. We had children with us so that was the focus though one of members of the group did get into a couple of springs cut plugging on the inside.

Guys,

Thanks for all the reports on WH! I am heading up next Wednesday for a week, and after 10 years of fishing Nootka/Espy this will be our first trip to WH. Black on White Seasport, staying in a private cabin right across the road from Wayne Ridley's fish camp. Stop in and say howdy if you want, probably be a wobbly pop or two being consumed in the evenings.

Plan on fishing mainly with cutplugs, no flashers. That has been our mainstay in previous years, so hopefully it is the medicine to cure 'Nookie Fever!

Chris

I have prawned up there for the last three years with very little success. Prior to that we had done well, so I don't know what changed. I am heading up starting tomorrow and not sure if I am going to take the traps or not. Good luck if you try - maybe I will see you up there. I have been going across from Cliff Point on the north side of the channel, maybe I need to prospect out something new!

Attachments

• P1010491.jpg
    P1010491.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 347
A Foggy Winter Harbour Tale

Hit Kain isl 2pm Mon the 29th. Guy at Cole Harbour said fishing was poor only got 3 Springs-one a 30 Had a look-don't buy anything weighed by this guys scales-barely made 20 but still not a rosy picture. Heavy heavy fog at Koprino-full radar required. I'll cut to the chase-cliffe point ( Lighthouse end) the north end was slow-south end down by the big rocks held some coho and springs, Kain was basically dead while we were there. Grants Bay held the odd spring early but nowhere as good as 2 weeks ago. The place to fish as far as I'm concerned was from 200 ft deep at the first set of pinnacles directly off Lippy straight out to the hi-way. Pretty steady action for Springs coho and some of the largest pinks I've ever seen. The Springs seem smaller to me than other years-our best would have been 22 tops however I was forced to release 2 over 20 as we already had our spring possession limit. I was testing a new prototype lure that Salty-dog and I have come up with in conjunction with a major manufacturer-we picked up a 40-ish hali (108cm) and 3 lings over 20 trolling. Guys -It was FOGGY for 3 days-solid-most of the fish were off-shore- the radio chatter consisted of guys trying to screw up their courage to go without a radar. Winter Harbour is not like it used to be-there are lots of boats out there-you can't run at 25 knot on a chart plotter-we're going to lose somebody!! No fish is worth it.
Lures to use anchovy with a Teezer or flasher, White cuttlefish hootchy with double flash LED. Didn't use anything else except the new test lure and my son-in-law refused to switch. Depths-180 to 200 ft of wire-chase the bottom if you are shallower. Sorry-no pictures I can show as they show the new lure and we are at a delicate stage with negotiations right now-its a real winner!! I guess it is slow really for Winter Harbour-I have never seen so many boats and so many boaters ill equipped to take on Winter Harbours challenges. It ain't a Lake guys-slow down in the fog and make sure you really understand how to work and drive on your Radar! Great trip for us-lots of challenges but a full hold and a grand adventure!! Tight Lines!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back