SFBC Banana Derby on Father's Day Weekend?????

chris73

We have seen quite a few members drop out of this fun event because of the Mother's Day date (May 11/12). The whole purpose for this event was to get as many SFBC Members from all over the places together for a big fun show and to raise some funds for good causes. If only few show then what is the point? Because most expressed concerns about the picked Mother's Day date, I want to throw out an idea here: The famous and well popular JDF Derby on Father's Day weekend is a NO GO. Who of you would participate in the SFBC Banana Challenge if it was moved to Father's Day weekend June 15/16? The organizers are prepared to go through the pain of reorganizing everything for the new date IF many more committed to join the event then.

Please gives us your feedback either here, or on the sticky thread "SFBC Banana Challenge" or send me a PM.

To clarify, the Pub Night at the Herman's Jazz Club would still go ahead on Sat May 11, it is already booked and deposits are made. I encourage you to come out for this and bring your spouses, wifes, moms or whatever along. It should be a lot of fun! Great opportunity to meet forum members in person in a fun atmosphere - not one of those depressing fishery politics meetings when we discuss more restrictions!

And I want to reemphasize that the Mother's Day date was not the organizer's idea and first choice but was rather dictated on us by others inconsiderately snatching our original date (April 20/21) after we had already made plans for this date.

Who would be in June 15/16???

I'm down for whatevs. Looks like it would allow for a slightly larger fish too given the 85 cm and under coming in on the 15th (or that is how I read the regs on an iPhone) I think it is a better date given past June vs May fishing not to mention weather is ususally mariginally better. Decent currents too looking quickly if flatties peak your interest.

Just to be clear there are no hard feelings from me about having to change the original date because of the conflict that happened later. At the time of planning we didn't consider the Fathers Day Weekend because there had been no decision as to whether the JDF would be held or not. Now that that weekend is available it may be our best option even though it means more work for me...lol I'm more than willing to make the adjustments and have all the changes done by the end of the weekend. I will make my decision by Friday and base it on the pros and cons posted here. So weigh in.. May 11 & 12 or June 15 & 16?

Not as much as mom it seems!!! Lol

JDF is cancelled 100% for sure

As a new area fisher who was planning to enter, I'm good with either date, although the Fathers Day will be a much easier sell with the family for a full weekend of involvement. I would be most impressed if profisher and team are able to make the wholesale change with all the supporters (Pedder Bay etc) involved....good on you.

Pedder Bay Marina is on my call list first thing in the morning to see if they could accommodate us on the June weekend. This will factor into the outcome more than anything else. The rest is reprint the tickets...easy. Stickers to cover up the old date and list the new on existing posters...easy. Online ads even easier. Just more running around for your truly. But happy to do it if it means a better turnout (happier moms) and more funds for the cause. That is what it is all about anyway.

well I'm going to buy a ticket if I get to fish or not cause I want to help out the cause. The earlier date might be better cause the wife is away and I'm left to fend for myself at that time, I had a trip planned for the later date but have since postponed it till July, so either would work.

Rollie,

Father's Day works for me for a couple of reasons, not the least being that my brother and I were in the JDF on that day for the past 15 years. Our families are used to us fishing on that weekend. Mother's Day not so much. Thanks for all the work you are doing for this good cause.

Frank

June is ahead. lol

Could n't make the Mom's day date but definitelly would be interested for the June dates. If there's a change I'll re-poll the crew.

June is pulling away. lol

Man you guys are working hard. So tough to please everyone!

My schedule allows for May, not June, fish the same group that weekend every year. I'm sure most normal people are better off with the opposite dates... hard to tell dad he can't go fishing on fathers day... lol.

I'll be heartbroken to miss it though, it's a great idea and a cool way to put names to faces. That halibut derby down there 7 years ago was a blast!! (nogs hat toss at the red lion...)

I really hope it goes off as we would love to host the event up here or see it in Comox next year.

I would be would in for a pair of tickets for the Fathers Day event. Fished the JDF for 15 or so years. So count me in. Cheers FC

Osama, we know that if we change dates there will be a few casualties and that sucks. We would like to see everyone make it. Decision will be made by tomorrow. Haven't talked to Pedder Bay yet.

would have loved to get in on this,,fathers day already committed at harrisons. this is a great idea for OUR derby,,sorry i cant make it...

Back