2013 Bamfield Tuna Shootout

Hi guys been going to bamfield nowfor five years now, finally upgraded from my 14 lund 25 etec to a 27' monaro with 225 etec and 15hp kicker. would this boat be able to go out tuna fishing with the fleet? sounds like a real good time and also any good deals on property out there??

YOU GUYS All NEED TO ASK YOURSELF THIS QUESTION....

Am i comfortable coming back in ugly seas on my auxiliary power from 30 - 50 miles from shore???

If not, then don't go. To expect someone to bail you out because you or your boat are unprepared is just foolish

end of rant

Hi guys been going to bamfield nowfor five years now, finally upgraded from my 14 lund 25 etec to a 27' monaro with 225 etec and 15hp kicker. would this boat be able to go out tuna fishing with the fleet? sounds like a real good time and also any good deals on property out there??

I go as often as I can with my 24 Monaro, with no problems so far. I spend hundreds of days on the water reach year. I do regular serviceing on my main motor and kicker. Continualy change coroded wireing, fuel filters etc.
I don't worry about going 75 miles off shore by myself, but what I do watch is the weather. I won't go unless the weather is going to be as good or better the next day as well. This gives you a margin of error in the forecast. Some day I may break down and have to bob around for a while until help comes. We all hope that doesent happen but it may. As long as the weather is good it's not a big deal to wait for help. Our boats don't just sink out from under us in good weather. Fire is my biggest concern that may put me in the water, but in 40 years of boating this hasn't happened either. it's a big ocean out there when you are alone but a neat experience as well.
By all means come along and join in the Shoot out. A great time to experience the far side and you won't be alone!

It sounds like an amazing opportunity. ive been going out as far as 7 and 10 mile in my old 14' lund and pick my days of course. Had quite of few dirty stares my way but worth the experience. So if the weather good like those days i went out in my tinny the new one will handle just fine. Just read that pat died from the bamf gen store thats a real shame he was a nice guy the times i met him. Well cant wait to get back to bam one of my favorite places look forward to it every year. now i get to run the inlet insted of towing my boat into bamfield.. see all you out there in a mth..

I know a guy that runs 20 miles out in a 12ft zodiac. Orange in color :) Funny hearing the stories of people panicking around him when he pulls up thinking they are about to get boarded.

It all depends in how well you know and trust your boat. Because you don't want to be stuck out there.

There are a few of us from Hardy that are planning on making the trip down this Sept to try our luck. Sounds like a heck of a lot of fun. Looking forward to meeting a few of you guys on here too!

There are a few of us from Hardy that are planning on making the trip down this Sept to try our luck. Sounds like a heck of a lot of fun. Looking forward to meeting a few of you guys on here too!

It will be awesome having you guys come down for the festivities. Talked to a few guys up there and it should be a fun trip down the coast!

It will be awesome having you guys come down for the festivities. Talked to a few guys up there and it should be a fun trip down the coast!

X2. The mix of people getting together for this special sport fishery is very cool. I am planning on sticking around for most of the event just to meet everyone!

So tickets will be ready by the end of this week.

A heads up - about 20 - 25 of them have been spoken for already... (John and Bear Cove that includes your groups)

Derby site will be updated as well...

Suzuki and Breakers Marine have stepped up in a HUGE way... We are giving away THOUSANDS of dollars worth of gear on top of the $15,000 in cash prizes.

More to come!!

Do you guys have an idea what kinda of scheduling people are going to be clearing for this event? Do you expect a full crowd for the 8 days or is it looking more like trips of a few days from the majority?

Asking for reasons of accommodations, and competition :)

Keep up the good work y'all!

Derby tickets are designed and now being printed! Shoot us an email at contact@bctough.com for registration. We should be posting the final poster and list of sponsors soon as we finalize things.

Ps Bearcove I just saw I had missed your email. Reply sent!

Last edited by a moderator:
FB,

Our group from Hardy will be watching weather for the most part to determine which days we make did down. Ideally we would all like to fish the final 3-4 days and be a part of the grand celebration at the end. We are going to tow to Alberni and run out. Still trying to figure out where to set up for those 3 or 4 nights. Would like to be around some of the crew so we can meet, maybe have a cold one or two. Any and all suggestions would be great.

Can't wait.

So, booked 4 nights at Mills Landing, Sept 25-26-27-28. That part is taken care of, just hope the weather is good and the warm water is close.

Do you guys have an idea what kinda of scheduling people are going to be clearing for this event? Do you expect a full crowd for the 8 days or is it looking more like trips of a few days from the majority?

Asking for reasons of accommodations, and competition :)

Keep up the good work y'all!

It's gonna be all over the board as far as who's out the whole time an who gets to come for a few or couple of days. A lot of the guys from last year have changed their vacation schedules to attend the whole week. Some boat captains will be exchanging crew members throughout as well.

The phone is ringing like mad, this event is going to be sold out and such a fun experience for all.

Bear Cove - I was at Mills yesterday when you called and spoke with Jerry about accomodations.

Also have a list of recommended accomodations as well - I'd prefer to see people supporting the ones that sponsor the event...

50 boats heading out together to slay some Albies!!! Epic!!!

Can't wait, first time I will fish for our local tuna. Only ever fished for them down south, very excited. Putting our gear bag together over the next couple months, have a couple of guys that are riding with me that know what they are doing. Couple of them are commercial guys that have fished off the coast for years. Hoping that will help in loading the boat.

What are our options with processing if we get lucky enough to get a few? I know I can bring them back to Hardy but would be nice to unload them somewhere instead of bringing them back here.

Cheers,

Rocky Point Charters is gonna have accoms available and moorage. Kens awesome and gonna be out there killing them all week with us. Great to have him involved as he's a top rod.

Ian Macdonalds place - Bamfield Sportfishing has cabins that are great as well and he's another supporter so check that out before they are gone.

I have a house on the water with its own dock that can sleep 10 available as well.

Of course Mills Landing should be the spot if you can get a cabin as that's where all the action will be. Not sure what Jerrys still got.

Stans house next door is awesome as well.

Someones booked into a place I don't support so gonna have to figure that out.. haha no tickets left!! lol!!

But ya.. seriously. Support the people supporting this event!!

You guys are sofakingkilling me. I have a perfect rig / crew but sched does not permit. calm seas boys..... Will make sure it works next year.

Can't wait, first time I will fish for our local tuna. Only ever fished for them down south, very excited. Putting our gear bag together over the next couple months, have a couple of guys that are riding with me that know what they are doing. Couple of them are commercial guys that have fished off the coast for years. Hoping that will help in loading the boat.

What are our options with processing if we get lucky enough to get a few? I know I can bring them back to Hardy but would be nice to unload them somewhere instead of bringing them back here.

Cheers,

Sounds great, can't wait to meet you guys! Mills has everything. Salt ice, blast freezer and commercial vac pac unit.

Gonna be fun!! Just deciding which band to book for the wrap up!!

Back