Peetz Reels

I have three well used in from the good old days in the Saanich Inlet. All are recorders and one has the wrist slashing extension handle as well. Prefer these to to level winds for Hali, more fun when big hali sound back down. I have a Trophy reel with nothing but small issues. Think I might go back to the old Peetz for simplicity.

Was using an old Peetz off Tofino last year trolling for Hali and hooked into a Tyee. You just can't beat the sound of a Peetz. Like the good old days in the Inlet.

I just got this Peetz reel. It used to be my grandfather who got into the tyee club with this reel. He's obviously taken great care of it over the years. I am very stoked to have it and plan to put it to good use. I gave it a good tune up and ketchup cleaning and it is pretty much as good as new. See before and after pictures.

I plan to use it for Hali and salmon fishing so I'd like to load it up with something that will allow it to be a combo reel. Any advice? I was thinking braid. Thoughts?

I know that it is at least from 1976 or earlier from the sticker.

Before
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361161006.587638.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1361161021.183752.jpg
After
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361161034.449362.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1361161047.651906.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1361161061.091355.jpg

If your looking for a Peetz reel for Hali. They make a clone of the wood reel completely out of stainless and brass that fishes the same as the wood ones down to the clicker noise. It is a far more durable version and will never split, break or wear on the rod holder in the same way as the wood ones, especially with mono. Of course it is not half as esthetically pleasing.

You can’t beat the warm glow of the wood in the sunlight or reflecting off some candles on the mantel above the fireplace. Yours is very special because of its family history.

Some of the guys I fish with still use them in the Tyee Pool because of the esthetics, connection to history and some of the rules.

I went by Peetz today in Victoria and chatted for a bit. Seems lots of people use this size for Hali, but even more so the larger sizes. I figure this is a great size for a combo Hali/salmon reel. I hope to take my grandpa out to get some memories with the reel(he's in his late 80's).

I spooled it up with backing followed by 80lb braid. Should hold in the clip and handle any Hali that I should come across.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361242799.856312.jpg

That reel looks nicely spooled,Andrew! Good job. Your gonna love it when that first slab starts to peel!

I'm certainly looking forward to getting it back in action!

I don't think I have any worthy rods for either salmon or Hali though...Feels weird putting this reel on a 9' shimano...

I concur.........Doesn't belong on one of those TDR's. A Peetz rod would suit it nicely though. Keep your eyes on usedvic.

Just found this forum while trying to find a Henry Smith special spoon for a friend of mine. He grew up around Cowichan Bay fishing with his dad in the 40's , a 14' clinker with Briggs engine , of course. I had never heard of a Henry Smith spoon but once I found a picture i finally remembered a white with pink one we had in the 50's.

I found it most interesting that many still remember Saanich Inlet in it's best years. I left Brentwood Bay 1961 and didn't come back to Vancouver untill 1976.
I started Salmon guiding from Creed's Landing, Brentwood BAy when I was about 14. Yes, the Peetz Reels were the best reel to use in the 50's and earlier.
I met Boris Peetz when I was around 12 with my dad. I still have my personal reel from the 50's(recorder) . Recorders were the reel of choice for all guide boats at the time along with a Roy Smith Flasher , strip and minow teasers, wire line , 70-80 lb leader (20-25 ') . the center line was a 5-7 lb bag of rocks which dropped with a salmon strike( had to be at least 10lbs for this to occur).
I believe I have about 50 Peetz reels currently. Unfortunately Peetz did not stamp there reels with dates or serial number. The reels can be aged approximately by the color and grain of the wood used. The first reels were made around 1926, this wood is different then wood from 1980's. I suppose this wood is like our first growth Douglas Fir compared to the 3rd growth we see now. Definitely a difference in quality.

There have been comments about using the new tuff line products with these reels , a local shop put on fly line backing and a braide tuff line type product about 3 years ago , I couldn't use it as it will cut your fingering when guiding line on reel when winding in. If anyone can recamend a smooth product of this type I would gladly try it. This year I plan on halibut fishing in the Sointula / Port McNeil area as we bought a small farm house about 5 years ago in this area.
A monofilament line must have a soft line backing to protect wood from exploding around 3 am after your day of fishing.

This is getting a little wordy for first post. Anyways if anyone has a white/pink Henry special they would like to part with let me know. My friend would like to have one again.
Earlier comment on using a 6" reel with brass spring loaded extension handle would be nice to try on a big halibut.

One more thing I am looking for a Peetz yellow rod with stainless roller guides(for wire) , this rod has a narrow fast upper 20" , very flexible. Have 5 rods but only one with this narrow top part.

Hey Andrew watch on used victoria for a 7 to 9 foot peetz roller rod. I have two for halibut they are fun.

I prefer a 1 piece but you can find two piece as well.

Reactions: cby
Just found this forum while trying to find a Henry Smith special spoon for a friend of mine. He grew up around Cowichan Bay fishing with his dad in the 40's , a 14' clinker with Briggs engine , of course. I had never heard of a Henry Smith spoon but once I found a picture i finally remembered a white with pink one we had in the 50's.

I found it most interesting that many still remember Saanich Inlet in it's best years. I left Brentwood Bay 1961 and didn't come back to Vancouver untill 1976.
I started Salmon guiding from Creed's Landing, Brentwood BAy when I was about 14. Yes, the Peetz Reels were the best reel to use in the 50's and earlier.
I met Boris Peetz when I was around 12 with my dad. I still have my personal reel from the 50's(recorder) . Recorders were the reel of choice for all guide boats at the time along with a Roy Smith Flasher , strip and minow teasers, wire line , 70-80 lb leader (20-25 ') . the center line was a 5-7 lb bag of rocks which dropped with a salmon strike( had to be at least 10lbs for this to occur).
I believe I have about 50 Peetz reels currently. Unfortunately Peetz did not stamp there reels with dates or serial number. The reels can be aged approximately by the color and grain of the wood used. The first reels were made around 1926, this wood is different then wood from 1980's. I suppose this wood is like our first growth Douglas Fir compared to the 3rd growth we see now. Definitely a difference in quality.

There have been comments about using the new tuff line products with these reels , a local shop put on fly line backing and a braide tuff line type product about 3 years ago , I couldn't use it as it will cut your fingering when guiding line on reel when winding in. If anyone can recamend a smooth product of this type I would gladly try it. This year I plan on halibut fishing in the Sointula / Port McNeil area as we bought a small farm house about 5 years ago in this area.
A monofilament line must have a soft line backing to protect wood from exploding around 3 am after your day of fishing.

This is getting a little wordy for first post. Anyways if anyone has a white/pink Henry special they would like to part with let me know. My friend would like to have one again.
Earlier comment on using a 6" reel with brass spring loaded extension handle would be nice to try on a big halibut.

One more thing I am looking for a Peetz yellow rod with stainless roller guides(for wire) , this rod has a narrow fast upper 20" , very flexible. Have 5 rods but only one with this narrow top part.

PM sent.....

I have an all pink Henry Smith if you want it. I have so much gear now, can't imagine using it anymore. I can picture the white with pink edge one from Gramps' tackle box. I remember him losing a big spring at Tent Island in about 1974 when his "metallic" green HS broke in half. I'll trade you for a 5-7 lb bag of rocks. pm me and I'll mail it.

I never even thought to test em on Dino's! Cool pics!

Might be a dumb question, but some of you experienced Peetz users I'm sure can answer this for me...

When playing a larger chinook, what is the preferred method in using or not using the wingnut drag?
Since tightening the nut applies drag to both directions, is it better to have it loose and easy to reel, while palming the reel for drag?
Or find a middle-ish point where it is somewhat easy to reel, but also keeps some tension on the drag?
Or is it best to be constantly working the wing nut, backing off and on the drag as the fight permits?

These are my basically new reels so no varnish has been warn off and I could see it definitely burning a hole through my hand if it was all done by palming the reel. Curious to folks' technique!

Cheers

That mid-ish point is tricky. We used to have some peetz reels and lost a few big fish on the run because as they run the heat they generate on the drag tightens it up more and more. Nice to just work that big drum with your palm but they are tricky

I will be putting my Peetz up against som 40+ pounders (i hope!) and I definitely don't need the drag tightening due to heat...cuz these reels will be bakin'!

Might be a dumb question, but some of you experienced Peetz users I'm sure can answer this for me...

When playing a larger chinook, what is the preferred method in using or not using the wingnut drag?
Since tightening the nut applies drag to both directions, is it better to have it loose and easy to reel, while palming the reel for drag?
Or find a middle-ish point where it is somewhat easy to reel, but also keeps some tension on the drag?
Or is it best to be constantly working the wing nut, backing off and on the drag as the fight permits?

These are my basically new reels so no varnish has been warn off and I could see it definitely burning a hole through my hand if it was all done by palming the reel. Curious to folks' technique!

Cheers

Hey FB,

I personally have only peetz on both sides(5") and love them(both hali and salmon on same reel spooled with 100# braid, which works great in the DR). Everyone has different preferences, but after trying pretty much everything under the sun, I've settled here. There is certainly a learning curve, but once you have it, it's awesome!

What I have found is that palming is the way to go. I keep just enough drag on so that it is not completely free, but also is not resisting when winding in. I haven't found the issue that Terrin mentioned, but could see how this would happen if either the drag washers were not greased or if you were maybe missing one(should be one inside on top of a metal tension washer and then 2 outside). If they are well greased and the fish is heavy and on a big run, you should be able to tight a bit to slow a tad, but really haven't had any problems or too much palm heat either. I've had a few fish around 20# on them now and no issues with controlling the run.

Now just throw a classic chrome Nootka flasher with an old krippled k behind and you are really in for some fun!!

Cheers
I agree with Andrew P. Palming is the way to go. No need to fiddle with the wing nut.
Only played a couple of 20+ fish on my Peetz but had no problems with palm burning. The wooden spool is heavy and the spool edge is quite wide so only light pressure is sufficient drag in my view.
Don't know what would happen if I ever hooked a 40 lb + fish, but since that is never going to occur, I don't worry about it....LOL

Back