Campbell river 2013.

Fished this weekend as well. Saturday was 2 springs, 3 hatchery coho, from 80-140 feet. Both white springs, about 12 or so pounds. Sunday was a bit of a bust due to a slight overheat problem, but still managed to get 2 wild coho to the boat and then released, it was the father in law's first salmon. Monday afternoon was 1 spring and 3 hatchery coho, all at 60 feet. Went out again to watch the fireworks, brought along a couple that just moved here from Ontario. I told him to get a licence, just in case. We were a bit early, so I said let's go down just south of the light and throw the rods in for half an hour. It was unreal. 10 fish in half an hour, all wild coho except 1, all at 60 feet. Green flasher, cop car glow hootchie.

This is ridiculous. The best fishing in something like 30 years out of Campbell River, and nobody is saying anything ?

Anyway, went out tonight from 6:30 to 8:30 for a bit of flood tide action on the hump. Landed and kept 1 hatchery coho @ 70 feet on cheap green flasher and glow green splatterback hootchie, landed and kept 15 lb spring on some flashy funny coloured flasher and purple haze hootchie @ 180 feet. Brought about 8 or so wild coho to the boat, then released. Nice night to be out.

This is ridiculous. The best fishing in something like 30 years out of Campbell River, and nobody is saying anything ?

What do you want said? Lots of 4-5 pound coho... Some of them clipped try not to kill the unclipped ones? These fish are being caught all over the Straight of Georgia this year and I believe everyone knows this already.

There pinks have shown up. A few pinks being caught. Go catch them and feed them to your dogs they will love you for it.

12 year old granddaughter and I headed out today. Went to the green/black can area, hot and calm. Lots of fish on, lost all but one and had to release that. Grandaughter played everyone hooked--for first time out she did quite well. fisheries and oceans were out today, the must have checked 10 or so boats there, they stopped and had a short talk with us before heading off. Gosh they looked hot in there uniforms. Check that; I mean sweltering :)

I am glad they are out there. Maybe next time some american or albertan yacht comes through and almost runs some people over, they will notice. Why do they run right up the middle anyway ? It's not like it becomes super shallow anywhere around, in fact they are heading for the shallowest spot within miles. Is it beause their chartplotter\autopilot tells them to go that way ? Even the cruise ships make an effort to go a bit to the Van Isle side, not right up the middle. Rant over.

Fished the hump early AM, nailed a hatchery first thing, about 0600 hrs.
Tried for Springs the next 3 hrs, lost two, but kept catching cohos none stop.
180-210 on the rigger. Only fished 1 rod. Best action was at tide change, 0635 hrs.

Lots of. Bait showing, so maybe the cohos will stick around longer. Oh, forgot
Also boated a nice ling. .....BB

Still lots of action at the hump for coho and chinook.catching coho at 15 ft, lots of them.finally got a big 23 lb chinook last night off of the hump as well.I hope this keeps up!

Slow out there tonight. Fished from 7 to 9 pm, not even a sniff, except for a slightly undersize lingcod. Lots of boats out, didn't see anyone else with the net out.

Pretty slow at the hump yesterday, picked up the trifecta tho - one hatch coho, one spring, and one pink. all hit at the tide change 160-200'

Got out today, managed 2 springs, about 10-12 lbs each. Both on 6" tomic 602 @ 180 feet. Tried to go up north, but turned around @ deepwater bay, as I was taking green water over the bow. Pretty windy up there.

Out this morning at the hump, 20lb white spring, green splatterback @ 220 ft. two hatchery cohoe both on a lure check. I am really amazed at the number of people netting cohoes and either keeping them (can't be that many tagged) or after allowing them to flop around in their boats, just tossing them back. The only obvious exception were the OBMG guides, who I saw release quite a few in a timely and efficient manner.

Fished cr hump today. Lots of cohos at 125- 185 ft
kept one small hatch. Caught a couple pinks near the shoreline at 100 ft
lots of boats out. And didnt see much action except boats at the hump were fishing so close together and going in all directions. Im sure there must have been a few tangles with other boats. i wouldn't like some one running across my lines especially if a fish is on.

61.5 pounder caught in the tyee pool yesterday. All of a sudden 7 boats out in front of hidden harbour tonight.

Decks, did you mean "31.5" pounder????? A Tyee that big would be front page news in Vancouver. There have been no fish that size in a decade.

Drewski

Back