Bamfield tuna shootout - preliminary info release

Based on phone calls and emails it looks like we are sitting at about 19-22 boats right now. Of course, those aren't paid, but I know who about 2/3 of them are and I know they are coming.

Kelly and Jon are working hard behind the scenes here, SFBC themselves have come onboard to sponsor the event as has Island Angler and Amundson rods and reels.

There will be THOUSANDS of dollars worth of gear given away alone.

Good to hear Todd nailed down his ride, did he book the accoms yet? I had an email from him a week ago! LOL

New poster is great, gotta nail down a couple more before we go to print with it. Thanks all for the support.

Jeff

Ok, I have my crew nailed down. Firelight and a buddy of mine who is a good deck hand but a tuna virgin. It should be fun and I can wait.

How many boats are we up to now Jeff?

Alright alright...I will wipe the egg off my face and take my foot out of my mouth...

Sounds like its really coming together Jeff and Crew...you've made the $500 buy-in seem much smaller with all the great prizes and offers (free Ice?? DAMN!!!). Willing to admit I was wrong to jump the gun...keep up the good work!

-FB

I agree. Cool event and its really starting to look like a major event. One question: Why hold the event so late in September? Why not in the earlier part of September? The reason I ask is it seems to me that the weather is a little more likely to be stable earlier on in that month. Just curious.

I'd love a t-shirt that had the same general appearance as the banner add at the top of this page. Thats a cool add!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. Cool event and its really starting to look like a major event. One question: Why hold the event so late in September? Why not in the earlier part of September? The reason I ask is it seems to me that the weather is a little more likely to be stable earlier on in that month. Just curious.

I'd love a t-shirt that had the same general appearance as the banner add at the top of this page. Thats a cool add!

We have found that week to be level weather wise (generally) and the fish seem to be more abundant and as close in as they come. I think FB and Darren nailed them under 40 miles off 2 years ago. The boys in Washington seem to be slowing a bit by then as well so we hope to get some of them traveling up to extend the season a bit.

T-shirt will be similar for sure, nice work Kelly!!!

Well I'm one of the confirmed.

Jeff are the same accommodations as last year booked for Captain Wank and my self? He is already dreading the improvement projects that await.

I think FB and Darren nailed them under 40 miles off 2 years ago.

I think we were a little past 40 mile but not much. Finished Business no further than 50 miles ;)

This year I know of at least one boat that hooked up with a half dozen fish in close (40mile area) and I saw a few commy boats in and around 40 as well. It was well into the green water, a GOOD few miles from the blue water. Maybe next year it might be worth it to have a couple boats stop at 40/45mile while the rest go deeper (if need be)...

we ran a Tuna over with the boat around 45 when we were heading in this year...

We spotted Albies jumping along side Coho about 35 Nautical miles off of Beale up on the bank on the second day of the shootout last year. I wish it was on the way out because the fishing was slow in the canyons that day.

Just off the phone with Ted from Washington, one of the QCove dudes.

Lots of cool giveaways coming up with him -

Also a 2 hour tuna fishing seminar to be provided to shootout participants the first night.

Looks like discounted moorage is on the table as well as free salt ice. Not quite February yet! LOL!!

Some more crazy good stuff in the works. Stay tuned.

Website will be done this week.

Jeff

Just off the phone with Ted from Washington, one of the QCove dudes.

Lots of cool giveaways coming up with him -

Also a 2 hour tuna fishing seminar to be provided to shootout participants the first night.

Looks like discounted moorage is on the table as well as free salt ice. Not quite February yet! LOL!!

Some more crazy good stuff in the works. Stay tuned.

Website will be done this week.

Jeff

Good stuff Jeff. Who is putting on the seminar?

Good stuff Jeff. Who is putting on the seminar?

Ted's gonna do it.

And he'll be fresh off a crazy season down that way so it should be awesome!!

P.S. - We might be trying to stuff him in a vehicle or boat to get him from Port out here!! hint hint!

Ted's gonna do it.

And he'll be fresh off a crazy season down that way so it should be awesome!!

P.S. - We might be trying to stuff him in a vehicle or boat to get him from Port out here!! hint hint!

That's cool. He didn't mention the seminar on the phone yesterday. If I don't pizz him off to bad during our tuna party boat trip the weekend before I can run him out there:p:D.

That's cool. He didn't mention the seminar on the phone yesterday. If I don't pizz him off to bad during our tuna party boat trip the weekend before I can run him out there:p:D.

That is because Jeff and I just discussed it today and my crystal ball was in the shop yesterday, so I couldn't fortell the future.........of course, I don't do these kinda things for free.......I will require a case of some good Canadian beer, prime rib dinner, 2 hot bamfield girls (one for each arm), and a lifetime pass on the BC ferries for me and my boat............other than that I'm doing the seminar for free........Thanks for inviting me up Jeff, looking forward to it.

I guess I posted on the wrong thread-maybe you tuna guys are interested. I'm rigging my 26' Skipjack for tuna/sox going by George Poveromo rigging system (8 rods) designed for shallow fishing. I have 2 X 16' outriggers with 2 halyards ea and 2 rods stacked on ea DR. Anyone tried this system? Pros/cons.

8 rods?

WTH are you gonna do when you hit a school of fish?

OK I think it's 2 rods too many if you had a 35' plus boat and a seasoned crew maybe you could swing 8 but it sounds like a lot of work (except under perfect conditions).

He has a point when he says on his site that outriggers can cause erratic lure action and not in a good way.

http://www.georgepoveromo.com/content.php?pid=49

nononsense_rigger_8bait.jpg

I guess I posted on the wrong thread-maybe you tuna guys are interested. I'm rigging my 26' Skipjack for tuna/sox going by George Poveromo rigging system (8 rods) designed for shallow fishing. I have 2 X 16' outriggers with 2 halyards ea and 2 rods stacked on ea DR. Anyone tried this system? Pros/cons.

Plenty of the Westport hotshot recreational tuna boats run 6 rods and 2 handlines (8 total).

One on each outrigger (2 on each can be done, but it's way more hassle and tangles are more apt to happen, especially when clearing gear), 2 rods down the middle and 2 rods out to each side, then 2 shorter handlines off the stern. The gear is staggered to keep from tangles, especially while turning.

Stacking rods on a downrigger might be tough trolling 6 knots. Planer boards can get your gear down a few feet if that is what you were thinking, just make sure those reels pulling planer boards have plenty of drag poundage, cause you'll need it.

BTW, 26' skipjack is a nice boat and I'm sure it'll work great for tuna no matter how you end up rigging it.

Some of the Westport boys do bring thier downriggers with them on a tuna outing, but it's so they can salmon fish on the way back in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back