Craigslist 2005 Trophy to good to be true?

scam,,, reply and see where it takes ya,,, post up results...

I'll bite. I love answering these ads. Let you all know what I get for a reply.
Dave

I'll bite. I love answering these ads. Let you all know what I get for a reply.
Dave

Replied to his ad and haven't heard back. Strange, they usually jump right onto replies.
Dave

Just heard back from my query today.

"I still have the boat for sale. There are no structural or electrical problems with this boat. It is in outstanding condition . Both hull and interior in nice condition .No mechanical issues with this engine at all. It starts easily and restart easily all day. It has ALWAYS been properly maintained and never run hard or abused. Trailer is in very nice condition and the tires are almost new with plenty of tread left. It has a clear and clean title, free of all liens and encumberances.
Unfortunately I am not home and I can't sell it myself because i left town few days ago to help my daughter organizing her wedding and i may stay here a while, but this is not a problem because i`ll sell it through OCG services. I believe you know what OCG is if you buy and sell online often, if you don't I'll be glad to walk you through the process. Let me know if you are still interested
See more pictures bellow:
https://picasaweb.google.com/101314...TROPHYWALKAROUND?authkey=Gv1sRgCPSDvpSGqbv_Qw
Hopefully all of them do justice to the condition this boat is in."

Dave

That's funny vetteman. I responded to a 2000 bayliner 1952 cuddy for sale on kamloops Craigslist, 4400 dollars. I received the EXACT same email. I can't believe that scam is still going! It must still work I guess, but who would fall for that??????
Anyways, waste of time.

That's funny vetteman. I responded to a 2000 bayliner 1952 cuddy for sale on kamloops Craigslist, 4400 dollars. I received the EXACT same email. I can't believe that scam is still going! It must still work I guess, but who would fall for that??????
Anyways, waste of time.
Somebody must be falling for these scams or they wouldn't keep posting them.
Dave

I got the same sort of scam emails when I was selling my last boat.

Watch for a response like this!!

Hello,

Thanks for your swift response to my inquiry.I'm Okay with your
asking price , and i don't want you to bother yourself about the
shipping,i have a shipping company that will be handling the shipment of
this item down to my residence as soon as the payment has been made.I
live in Alberta but currently not in town for now am out for a business
trip.The shipper will come for the immediately pick-up and make sure
everything is clean up ok

The payment will be made via Canadian Money Order or Bank Draft
payment which will contain both the asking price and the shipping
fees,and no shipping and no pick up arrangement will be made until the
Payment is received and cashed by you,then you will be sure of payment..i
will be needing your full mailing information so that i can mail the
Payment to you,such as

Full Name:
Full Contact Home Address:
City:
Province:
Postal code:
Cell/home phone number:
Your last selling price:

As soon as this is received ,I will be mailing the payment right
away with no further delay,and the purchase can be completed .I will look
for your email later.

Regards,
John

I don't really know what happens next....but when I responded to the guy saying that this sounds like a scam and please call me to discuss if otherwise, I never heard from him again.

Ap

I got the same sort of scam emails when I was selling my last boat.

Watch for a response like this!!

Hello,

Thanks for your swift response to my inquiry.I'm Okay with your
asking price , and i don't want you to bother yourself about the
shipping,i have a shipping company that will be handling the shipment of
this item down to my residence as soon as the payment has been made.I
live in Alberta but currently not in town for now am out for a business
trip.The shipper will come for the immediately pick-up and make sure
everything is clean up ok

The payment will be made via Canadian Money Order or Bank Draft
payment which will contain both the asking price and the shipping
fees,and no shipping and no pick up arrangement will be made until the
Payment is received and cashed by you,then you will be sure of payment..i
will be needing your full mailing information so that i can mail the
Payment to you,such as

Full Name:
Full Contact Home Address:
City:
Province:
Postal code:
Cell/home phone number:
Your last selling price:

As soon as this is received ,I will be mailing the payment right
away with no further delay,and the purchase can be completed .I will look
for your email later.

Regards,
John

I don't really know what happens next....but when I responded to the guy saying that this sounds like a scam and please call me to discuss if otherwise, I never heard from him again.

Ap

Yup had quite a few of those before. I just tell them to send me a cash deposit and they turn into vapor.

Don't respond!

They're fishing for money, but also for your data. Respond to these and you give them your email address to sell or to try and crack for your contacts. They also know you're interested in fishing/boating now and that info can be valuable to organizations who want to send you tailored adds or target you with another scam about something they know you have an interest in and might be more likely to fall for. Usually the email address of the responder is a clue too; duffus@shaw.ca is more likely legit than 11239c@yahoo.com. Just delete and block sender, then clean your "deleted" folder out to be sure! At least in their initial response to your ad it goes through the CL or Kijiji system to get to you so your email isn't given away...unless you write your email address and phone # into the ad! Then you're doing half the work for them! If you respond to one of these ads that is obviously bogus you instantly give them your address and will likely be spammed as a result.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup,and keep your computer updated with the latest service packs and use a good internet firewall etc.

Well, you guys were right. My email has been compromised, and now I don't have access to I anymore. Real pain in the butt. Yahoo won't do anything unless I pay 100 dollars??

Back