Thompson open

Last i heard the Log Cabin and Shaw Springs were still open as well as the businesses in Lytton such as the Hotel and the Totem Motel where i used to always stay

Correct me if i was wrong

BTW, i'm with Dennis on most of this

I know you are. He's a regular client, the customer is always right! All kidding aside, do you think those businesses have that much clout with MOE?

I know you are. He's a regular client, the customer is always right! All kidding aside, do you think those businesses have that much clout with MOE?
Its a well known fact,that the local business of Spences Bridge due indeed exert pressure on MOE and make there phlight well known to anyone who will listen they need this fishery. This fishery reeks of MOE caving in to the pressure exerted by anglers and local businesses.

There is room for a C and R fishery. Having the fishery drag into the middle of winter however is ludicrous IMO. By the middle of Nov most of the fish are now in overwinter mode and are swimming around in circles at the popular bottom bouncing holes around spences bridge.
An open fishery that shuts down at the middle to end of November would be a better way to go. If the test results and creel surveys are indicating that the numbers are down, close the fishery.
Unfortunatly I have not fished the T for 8 or 9 years now and I won't be fishing the shotgun opening this year either.
I expect there will be plenty of bs written about the conflicts between flea flickers and gut slingers again this year.

I posted this elsewhere and got no answers so maybe some one here can let me know,

anyone want to explain just how more than a decade of closures on the east coast of vancouver island rebuilt the runs? How the lack of anglers improved it so much that the runs just bounced back in great numbers? I do know a generation of anglers dissapeared and the rivers had virtually no friends. Maybe that's the self interest part.
Looking over there it would seem like cnr sports angling really makes zero or almost zero difference to the ability for a species to survive.
How about someone pointing out a salmon/steelhead fishery where cnr sports angling decimated it beyond hope to where the river was wiped out?
Maybe all this arguing about the Thompson is really for nothing and the energy should be focused on getting something that matters done

I agree, rln. Poaching is a different entity and you will have poaching no matter if a stream is closed or opened to fishing. In fact, as someone mentioned, having some enthical fishermen running around may even discourage some poachers. Let's assume that most anglers with an honst intention for C&R are capable of doing so in an ethical way. I know many that do. And with our current governments, anything that does not provide any sort of economical return is not even on their radar and useless in their eyes. So, trusting in our ability to be the best possible stewart for our fish resource, having a C&R fishery on sensitive streams may even make sense.

I posted this elsewhere and got no answers so maybe some one here can let me know,

anyone want to explain just how more than a decade of closures on the east coast of vancouver island rebuilt the runs? How the lack of anglers improved it so much that the runs just bounced back in great numbers? I do know a generation of anglers dissapeared and the rivers had virtually no friends. Maybe that's the self interest part.
Looking over there it would seem like cnr sports angling really makes zero or almost zero difference to the ability for a species to survive.
How about someone pointing out a salmon/steelhead fishery where cnr sports angling decimated it beyond hope to where the river was wiped out?
Maybe all this arguing about the Thompson is really for nothing and the energy should be focused on getting something that matters done

Well said....... :)

Last i heard the Log Cabin....

The Log Cabin....HA! Was fishing the main Fraser and checkin out sights when a hankering for a Tap beer came up. Ventured over to the Log Cabin for a cold pint, only to be turned away at the door. The reason? We were in our waders!! The lady at the bar could hardly be bothered to interupt her conversation with what I am sure was the last remaining customer in town, besides us.

She informed us that if we wanted to sit down for a beer we had to take our waders and boots off (no easy task after a morning of fishing in neoprenes), otherwise, we were not welcome. Needless to say they did not recieve our business, and for that matter, will never recieve a penny from myself or those in my party.

SO if it IS closed, I can see why. Probably would be wise to cater somewhat to the only tourists in town from november to march, ie. the fisherman.

The Log Cabin....HA! Was fishing the main Fraser and checkin out sights when a hankering for a Tap beer came up. Ventured over to the Log Cabin for a cold pint, only to be turned away at the door. The reason? We were in our waders!! The lady at the bar could hardly be bothered to interupt her conversation with what I am sure was the last remaining customer in town, besides us.

She informed us that if we wanted to sit down for a beer we had to take our waders and boots off (no easy task after a morning of fishing in neoprenes), otherwise, we were not welcome. Needless to say they did not recieve our business, and for that matter, will never recieve a penny from myself or those in my party.

SO if it IS closed, I can see why. Probably would be wise to cater somewhat to the only tourists in town from november to march, ie. the fisherman.

I wouldn't let you in my house wearing waders either....just sayin

Okay, I will bite.No one ever said,closing the fishery to protect the last remaining stock would bring it back.I witnessed that first hand on the Englishman river when i lived in Parskville during the 90s.The T has many friends some of who,choose not to fish it anymore.I agree with you about the focussing all our energies to get something done. I think the public needs to get aware of the problems plaguing the Thompson.Maybe a demonstration of some sort,with news media coverage is in order.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't let you in my house wearing waders either....just sayin

I'll remember that when I'm, or anyone I'd refer, is packing rain gear for a guided trip on the west coast.....juuuust sayin!

log cabin is still open and the owners, John and Laurie also bought the Circle J motel and refurbished it plus changed the name to Bait's motel. So they see to be doing just fine.

Okay, I will bite.No one ever said,closing the fishery to protect the last remaining stock would bring it back.I witnessed that first hand on the Englishman river when i lived in Parskville during the 90s.The T has many friends some of who,choose not to fish it anymore.I agree with you about the focussing all our energies to get something done. I think the public needs to get aware of the problems plaguing the Thompson.Maybe a demonstration of some sort,with news media coverage is in order.

Dennis,
I am just looking for a river that catch and release fishing has deciated the run. Seems like no one can coe up with an example of it happening. Did not happen on the Island from what I can tell and since so any people are lighting their hair on fire about fishing the Thompson I am hoping for a reason to be able to say Do or Don't fish.

By the way the last two days on the river have been crazy crowded according to a few of my buddies that fished it. People low holing like there is no tomorrow, tons of young "newer" thompson anglers. Guys getting to "their" spots at 3:00am to be first.

popcorn.gif

Dennis,
I am just looking for a river that catch and release fishing has deciated the run. Seems like no one can coe up with an example of it happening. Did not happen on the Island from what I can tell and since so any people are lighting their hair on fire about fishing the Thompson I am hoping for a reason to be able to say Do or Don't fish.

By the way the last two days on the river have been crazy crowded according to a few of my buddies that fished it. People low holing like there is no tomorrow, tons of young "newer" thompson anglers. Guys getting to "their" spots at 3:00am to be first.
I was afraid ,that was going to happen.Sad to hear,that piece of news.But not surprising its turning into a Vedder river gong show..I heard of fights there last yr between the feather and fur flingers vs the gut chuckers. I guess the days of common courtesy and anglers respecting each other up there are gone.

Dennis,

Driving home from hunting in Williams Lake/Quesnel this morning and the river was absolutely packed with guys. Vehicles at every pull out, guys in every pool. Water looked really low.......not a lot of places for the fish to hide.

I'll remember that when I'm, or anyone I'd refer, is packing rain gear for a guided trip on the west coast.....juuuust sayin!
Seriously? This what you are choosing to argue about? Wearing waders and rain gear inside?

Does your woman let you wear your waders in the house? I doubt it.

Seriously? This what you are choosing to argue about? Wearing waders and rain gear inside?

Does your woman let you wear your waders in the house? I doubt it.

Last time I checked when I walked through the doors of the Log Cabin PUB it was a PUB, not someone's house. Do you think the Pub around the corner from a construction site tells every patron to take off their work boots before sitting down? Nope!! They say, "Thanks for the business, please come again!"

Yes "my woman" lets me wear waders inside the house. Keep going Tofino Osprey. As a business owner who displays his company web address in hoping to gather more business, you are doing a great job. Thanks for the laugh this morning, not that I needed it. I'm going fishing, coming home wet, to no complaints!! Haha. Pass the popcorn...

rln,

What happen to the old owner at circle j? Did Bill passed away :(
He is always grouchy but we always get along just fine! Cabin 12 With the ketchen unit will always hold some special memories. Will missed that guy :( He never gave us a definite yes or no when booking but there was always a room reserve when we show up :)

Have not being up there for a few years and sure missed her.

HS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back