What is your favourite type of rod holder?

RiverBoy

I currently use the rod holder that is mounted on the booms of my elec. down riggers, but I find the rod quite difficult at times to get out of the holder quick enough to get get a solid hook strike. So what type do you prefer and why? Remember the old school holders that were a single pieced of metal bent like a pigs tail? Loved that style. Just lift the rod up and out, as opposed to yanking the rod butt out and away from the boat.

Oh, and for fun, I've included a pic of a Van Isle west coast sunset from last summer. Showing rod holder on my boat. Guess the area ( fishing hotspot ) and you win..........well, nothing frankly. ;) how about bragging rightSimage.jpgimage.jpg

Remember the old school holders that were a single pieced of metal bent like a pigs tail? Loved that style. Just lift the rod up and out, as opposed to yanking the rod butt out and away from the boat.
They still make those!

The old Sidewinder #222

222_Sidewinder_side.gif

For Halibut - the Scotty Striker for the strength of the stainless steel rods.

For Salmon - have been using the Scotty Powerlocks but have been testing the new Scotty Rocket Launchers with the stainless steel jacket and really like them, especially when mounted on the gunwale so that you don’t have to reach out for them like when they are on the rigger.

I like to keep the rods very tight so that the salmon has less free line to work with to throw the hook once it is pulled out of the release clip. I find it easier to remove the rods from the new Rocket Launchers without damaging the cork on the rod. In addition the launchers have a sealed end so that when they are mounted on the riggers it is not possible to have the rod butt end cap pull out of the rod and fall through the open end of the holder into the water as the rod is being pulled from the rod holder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Orcas - but get the new ones. They are reinforced at back portion so don't open up like the first gen ones. Also Scotty has new discs to insert into your adjuster to make it so you have no end of adjustments - old style had slots so you had limited angles you could set your rod holders at. They also have new lockable deck mount so when you lift up on the new Orca holders they don't lift up in the deck mount.

I prefer the Scotty Strikers. Seem to get a pretty "quick draw" out of them,and sturdely built for when a big hali
slams it good. Haven't tried the Orca's out yet,but they seem to be getting a bigger following all the time. That in itself
says something.

Stick with the scotty tubes , I have a hell of a time getting the rod out of the other types.
Just my 2 bits

Back