Such a waste

Was taking a stroll along the Nanaimo River estuary this morning watching the chum come in on the high tide when I came across this unfortunate sight at the end of Raines Rd. At first, I thought it was just the carcasses of filleted chums until I saw all the fillets thrown in as well. There were also quite a few whole salmon that appeared to be just thrown away. Looked to be mostly chums, maybe a small coho or two, not sure. The fish all looked to be pretty fresh, not sure why they were dumped. Such a waste to think these fish couldn't have been given to somebody instead of being dumped. What gets me is why somebody did all the work of filleting the fish and then just threw them away as well. :(

Attachments

• IMG_1110.jpg
    IMG_1110.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1111.jpg
    IMG_1111.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1112.jpg
    IMG_1112.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 150
Use the photobucket img code

IMG_1110.jpg

Yeah, a bit of wastage there

Was taking a stroll along the Nanaimo River estuary this morning watching the chum come in on the high tide when I came across this unfortunate sight at the end of Raines Rd. At first, I thought it was just the carcasses of filleted chums until I saw all the fillets thrown in as well. There were also quite a few whole salmon that appeared to be just thrown away. Looked to be mostly chums, maybe a small coho or two, not sure. The fish all looked to be pretty fresh, not sure why they were dumped. Such a waste to think these fish couldn't have been given to somebody instead of being dumped. What gets me is why somebody did all the work of filleting the fish and then just threw them away as well. :(

I think i know who would do something like that.

Lorne

well lookie if it aint the FISH snob and resident know it all

well lookie if it aint the FISH snob and resident know it all

Creaper!! Whats going on man? you must be going stir crazy not being able to snag those chums in the Punt eh? Did you re-spool with some new braid and buy your self a few 8/0 hooks? Looks like a purple yarn type fall!

Lorne

sort of wondering what the hell goes through some peoples heads at times... just brutal!

popcorn.gif

Summersteel,

That should be sent in to the Vancouver Sun, Times Colonist, News agencies. Worse than the Capilano Coho Massacre you tube Video. But similar group of people. Good example of keepers of our land again. The more exposure this type of s h i t gets the better. Eventually maybe everybody will have the same rights as human beings and not be able to do stuff like the above photos show as easily. Can't wait to find some nets lying around.

SH

I WILL NOT PROVIDE HOURS OF USELESS ENTERTAINMENT FOR YOU LIPPY!

Lorne

We'll I'm going to bed now :D

Turkey round two............And I'll check in the morning

Summersteel,

That should be sent in to the Vancouver Sun, Times Colonist, News agencies. Worse than the Capilano Coho Massacre you tube Video. But similar group of people. Good example of keepers of our land again. The more exposure this type of s h i t gets the better. Eventually maybe everybody will have the same rights as human beings and not be able to do stuff like the above photos show as easily. Can't wait to find some nets lying around.SH

SH,

I hear your frustration. It's not the first time I've encountered this type of thing in this area. I've reported it ( to DFO ) before and gotten the same old responses........"We'll check into it", "Thank You for bringing this to our attention", etc, etc, etc. I don't blame the field personal, even if they investigated it, found out who was responsible, and tried to pursue charges, the "higher up's" and bureaucrats simply won't back them. I can understand how they don't want to spend the precious few resources they have pursuing something that none of their superiors wants anything to do with. The real tragedy here is the wasting of the fish. Somebody bothered to take the time to fillet most of them, to then turn around and just throw it all away. I'm sure there was somebody that could have made good use of that fish.I wonder how many Thanksgiving meals the local Sally Ann turned out today.....2-300?? I'm sure they wouldn't have minded cooking salmon a day or two earlier. The effort to catch it, clean it and then just dump it makes no sense to me. I guess it is part of the mentality when you are allowed unlimited, uncontrolled access to the resource, there is no urgency to care what you do with it............you know you can always just go and get more whenever you want. It is that attitude that is most distressing...........it is how resources get used up........permanently.
I would also like to note that I am not painting all FN's with the same brush here. As with any user group, it is the few bad apples that tarnish the reputation for all. Ask anyone who hunts here on VI, how many locked gates they are finding this year, and why.

This one is tough to swallow, especially after the Cowichan tribes just put a stop to all fishing. Sure they are chum, and may not be the high prize for most, but that is far from garbage. This one makes me sick, and I've seen it before out on the Central Saanich reserve, with sockeye, and twice as many. Didn't have a camera, but called it in, and as you guessed, DFO was looking into it.

Back