Browns Bay reports

It's fishable in a southeaster but I would not run from CR to BB in one.
Two years ago the chum derby had the same weather.
Turned out ok for fishing but our boat was at BB on the dock.
Saw a few hardy souls run from CR but thought they were nuts.
Perhaps others could comment on the run from CR to BB and back in a SE wind.
GLG

Ran up from CR yesterday and fished from 10 till 2 saw lots of jumpers and a few schools finning one very large one in Deepwater Bay on the way up there were no boats at Plumper Bay there were 20 boats around Deepwater Bay fished 2 lines and 2 dummies didn't get any hits there and only saw one fish netted no others there was one troller working the water was calm with no rain by the end of the day the boats had spread out evenly from the wall past Deepwater all the way down to Plumper I talked to 2 boats 1 had one fish and had been there since 7:30am and the other no bites on the way back to town I saw the gillnet fleet heading out around 3pm there was 30 boats that I saw the run from cr is around 7 miles to Plumper Bay and Duncan Bay is worst most open and the longest stretch once you get up to Plumper or Deepwater you can usually find some calm water to fish but DOF I would not do that run in anything more than 15 knot wind if that I only have a 16.5 boat if you could trailer to Brown's it is a bit of a hassle to get launched but the run is minutes to and from the holes much easier if you bring a friend good luck.
Terry

Hey Bluegl...... I was out yesterday as well. Pretty much the way you said. VERY few fish taken at Greensea..... but I did see one boat into a double on the flood. The other boats I hailed had nothing. Frustrating too because there was a nice school of fish jumping right on the beach at the old logging camp. Got a chance to talk to a comm troller..... while he was picking up a few, he said that there were few biters . Heard the same thing from Sam at Discovery Marina.

This years derby is going to be "interesting"

Just arrived back from Browns Bay again this evening and it was slow. The area is very fishable with a SE wind, I was suprised how calm it was coming from the Comox Valley and the wind we were experiencing. Very few jumpers or finning fish around Deepwater Bay, and even less on the sounder :( . We considered ourselves lucky to even get a couple strikes, but nothing to the boat. Didn't see any other rec anglers catching either and word on the dock was the morning was slow as well. We are heading back up Saturday afternoon with our neice and her husband and will post how we do tomorrow night.

The lack of fish may be due to the gillnetters trying to make a living - there was a large commercial fleet in the strait since yesterday afternoon, but as I read the opening it is done on Saturday morning at 9am. Maybe it will improve with the rain and a lack of gillnets! Part of the notice below:

Category(s): COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net
Subject: FN0931-Salmon: Gillnet - Area D - Areas 12 & 13 - Johnstone Strait Chum - Opening

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Areas 12 and 13

The gill net fishery will open for 41 hours from 16:00 hours Thursday, October
11, 2012 to 09:00 hours Saturday, October 13, 2012 in the following areas:

AREA 13
- Subareas 13-6, 13-7 (excluding Deepwater Bay), 13-8 to 13-10

Fished 8-3 at Deepwater yesterday. Chum flopping around everywhere but only saw 2 landed. We had 3 hits but no hook-ups. This morning, woke up with a nasty hangover, looked out the hotel window at the weather and went back to bed.

Might be time to try something different..... anyone tried using chovies yet and motor mooching them?

Didn't get out Saturday but today (Sunday) it seems things are picking up. We had 3 good strikes and one in the boat (12# doe) in 4 1/2 hours of fishing, and we were bringing the average down at the cleaning table. Two other boats were at the table and they had three chum each. We stayed at Deepwater Bay and caught our one at 48' on a the pink squirt 28" behind a green/siver flasher. The other two boats went further north for their fish. Maybe 8-10 boats in Deepwater Bay this afernoon but didn't see much action.

Cuba - haven't tried anchovies...not sure how to really. I've heard about "deep six" which I think was a 6oz weight, a 6' leader with a herring or anchovie and just holding position in a current?? Maybe their jaws are loosening up a little now - I think I'll stick to squirts for tomorrow with my neice and see how it goes. But if I get out Tuesday and Wednesday I might give bait a try. I have seen lots of bait jumping in the area...might be fun?!

This morning, woke up with a nasty hangover, looked out the hotel window at the weather and went back to bed.

Come on tell us the truth why you didn't go fishing in the morning lol!

9.jpg

You are on the ***** list now Dan LOL:D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to the derby, first time for me!! I am writing an article for BC Outdoors about Chum so the derby will add some key content and likely be the highlight in the picture department.

Still only average chum fishing out there. We got 3 chum in the box (and one gently released wild coho) out of 9 good hits over about 5 hours. The commercial trollers seemed to be doing pretty well, there were 4 of them working in Deepwater Bay today. A remarkable lack of jumping or finning chum for the amount of fish we were seeing on the Lowrance. Same gear as before - pink squirts ~30" behind green and silver flashers. We were fishing deeper (away from the shoreline) and caught our fish between 85' and 70'. Seen a few large schools below 150' but didn't go chasing them - it seems soon as we get there there are a bunch back up where we were...

Still only average chum fishing out there. We got 3 chum in the box (and one gently released wild coho) out of 9 good hits over about 5 hours. The commercial trollers seemed to be doing pretty well, there were 4 of them working in Deepwater Bay today. A remarkable lack of jumping or finning chum for the amount of fish we were seeing on the Lowrance. Same gear as before - pink squirts ~30" behind green and silver flashers. We were fishing deeper (away from the shoreline) and caught our fish between 85' and 70'. Seen a few large schools below 150' but didn't go chasing them - it seems soon as we get there there are a bunch back up where we were...

Great report again Scooter. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sculpin

It is still sounding slow up there.
Last report on commies I read was that the gillnetters were closing on the 13th?
Has there been another opening for them and if so, when does it end?
Thinking about heading up this Saturday for a last trip..

Was at deep water and Sep head , managed 3 nice chum .fished 7 hours I was the only boat that I seen dip the net .
talked to a seigner said they will be out on monday and gill netters on wend.Wonder what will be left .
Dont know what will be left after the commies are finished .
Sorry for the crappy news.

All week looked forward to a free day Saturday. Called marina Thursday afternoon and was told that many were limiting as of that day.
Woohoo! Go time! Took a crew of 3.

Easy limits were NOT the case for anyone we saw or talked to. Out of about 20 boats at SepHead you could occasionally see a net out.
A couple of buddies spent the mid-morning til early afternoon in 2 boats at Chatham and got 3 for their efforts.
We managed to box 3 in a whole day of effort. The young lady with us reeled in her first 2 chum ever so that was nice.
One unusual thing to note, 2 of our 3 fish were taken just up from the marina - on the side everyone doesn't fish!
We did manage to have a triple header, then lose all of them OMG! Crew was pretty quiet for a while after that - even though no-one screwed up ;-)
My second mate reports that most of our hits (in other words 4 out of 7 hits) were on a nasty old blue flasher, 32" leadered Googly. Best depth was 55'
At least there were people at the cleaning table last night, but each boat would have 2 or 3 only.

The seiners were setting up in force, almost every solid tree along Quadra seems to be the stern tie point for one ship or other!

I do not have a good feeling about the derby as far as fishing goes, sorry folks.

Did anyone hear why the Derby was pushed back a week«
Although not great fishing now I``m fearful it`s better than we are going to see next weekend.
I hope I`m wrong

Back