Catch of the Day

Wow that second pic that KK posted is a very nice fish, looks like a pig. Looking forward to start slaying, when I get back.

Kunni

Nice fish KK. Cant wait to be back home and enjoying some fishing! Been a month today since ive had my line in the water!

Finally had our first catch! One pounder rainbow in lookout lake. Also caught another smaller guy we released.

Tried all different baits and lures, the winner was bottom with orange or pink power bait. Foot and a half of leader, around 5pm.

Cheers

Awesome to hear ya had some success ! The fishing should only pick up from here over the next month and now that your perfecting your technique you wont be able to keep them off. Im doing a 4 day trip to brewster lake by campbell river starting monday and Ive tied up an assortment of flies in anticipation hopefully ill be able to get into some nice cutties.

Great to hear you had success. I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but to improve your results when your fishing in area that is heavily fished, or the fish are shy, put on a micronymph before you put your power bait on. The micro nymph should sit below the power bait, almost on a small part of your leader line. So when your bait is floating of the bottom, it will be in the order of hook, power bait, micronymph. The micronymph are made by powerbait, and come in a assortment of colors. I have only ever been able to find them at island outfitters, but I haven't shopped for them in the past year or two. The micronymphs don't float, so check your bait in the water before you cast

another thing that can be done to entice the fish is to add some scent for your bait. It is basically a concoction of nasty fishy smells that are in a liquid form. I have had most success with the herring, or anchovy scent.

Kunni

I ended up finding a little pond to fish at, inside my grandparents retirement complex. I had a difficult time finding a rod to use, but after a bit of searching my moms sisters husbands parents bought a 3 ft kid combo for their grandchild a few years ago. I borrowed it from them, and cleaned the incredibly old reel, and it was spinning relatively nicely after a good clean. There was one weight, a swivel, and a small hook on the rod, so I made it work, and rigged it for a drop shot technique, as I was assuming to catch bass.

I arrived at my grandparents place, and started digging for worms, but I had not luck. I ended up finding some old bacon fat, which I thought would be sufficient as bait. I made my way over to the pond, with high expectations, and ended up finding a tiny little green puddle. I thought I might as well give it a go, because I had made such an effort to collect the gear. So with a little effort I was able to cast a piece of old bacon fat out about 30 ft using a 3 ft rod. I was working a little rock ledge, when wham got a strong hit, but the fish ended up spitting the barbless hook. 5 minutes later I was working the same ledge, and I got a slower take, but still a powerful one. I set the hook immediately, and started reeling, but as you can imagine I did not have much leverage with the tiny ice fishing rod. I was at the mercy of the fish, and after 3 nice jumps, and a few very nice runs, pulling a nice amount of line. I managed to land the fish. It was about 12 inches long, and probably close to a pound. After further online reaserch I am almost 100% sure that it is a banded tilapia. After the excitement of the nice catch and release of the fish, I made another cast in hopes of hooking a largemouth bass, or something a little larger. That cast did not go so well, and I ended up loosing my only hook in the tree. I had to call it a day after only 20 minutes. It was a great day, finally caught a fish in a foreign country, and hopefully relived my urge to fish until I get back on the 29th.

Kunni

Finally had our first catch! One pounder rainbow in lookout lake. Also caught another smaller guy we released.

Tried all different baits and lures, the winner was bottom with orange or pink power bait. Foot and a half of leader, around 5pm.

Cheers

Congrats! you are hooked now for sure... I'm thinking about heading to durrance this evening, this weather is a nice change.

Now that sounds like somthing I would have done at your age. Wait... I would still do that. Congrats on the sweet catch!

Now get back inside and start taking apart the VCR there has to be somthing to make a hook out of!

-KK

Hello, I have been a long time follower of this site but this is my first post. I am just getting into fly fishing and decided to try Durrance lake today. It turned out to be very busy at one point I counted 9 boats on the lake, and 6 people fishing from shore. Everyone seemed to be getting fish, I got 2 in about 3 hours. Black and green bugger worked for me.

We're you in a boat? I got a great tip from a member on this forum when I was fishing durance about 2 weeks ago. Try a full sink type 3 line, with a small brown leech, with lots of flash. If it weren't for KK's advice I would not have done so well. A. Green olive leech has always been a great producer for me, I prefer black in the morning, or later on in the day. Olive and brown, sometimes even a blue ish green, have also worked. I haven't been fly fishing for to long either, so alot of this is new to me.

Kunni

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tips. I am fishing out of a U-boat. I stopped by Prospect lake today and got 5 in a little over two hours, largest being 15 inches. I tried a olive colour leech later on in the day after I lost me first fly to the bottom. Got two on it.

I have heard that prospect lake is an incredible chronimid lake. Olive size 14 a few guys ive talked to can't keep them off those. One fellow even went as far as saying he colden't keep up with fishing 2 rods and went down to one as to many doubles. Now that is the chronomid fishing I want to experience. This was all last year though.

-KK

Great to hear you had success. I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but to improve your results when your fishing in area that is heavily fished, or the fish are shy, put on a micronymph before you put your power bait on. The micro nymph should sit below the power bait, almost on a small part of your leader line. So when your bait is floating of the bottom, it will be in the order of hook, power bait, micronymph. The micronymph are made by powerbait, and come in a assortment of colors. I have only ever been able to find them at island outfitters, but I haven't shopped for them in the past year or two. The micronymphs don't float, so check your bait in the water before you cast

another thing that can be done to entice the fish is to add some scent for your bait. It is basically a concoction of nasty fishy smells that are in a liquid form. I have had most success with the herring, or anchovy scent.

Kunni

awesome, thanks for the tips Kunni. Will try them my next time out.

Caught 5 @ Durrance today, nothing huge but my buddy got a nice 2.6 pounder out of the 9 he landed.
:D I saw him catch that one, I was in the yellow kayak. I got 4 small ones in the 2 1/2 hours I was there, then it got a bit crowded (6 boats!) so I headed out. I was trolling small black flatfish

got back from holiday yesterday, and hit elk today. I was trolling flies on a type 3 full sinking line. i had 6 fish in 7 hours, the largest was a very beautiful wild rainbow it was 16inches, and close to 2 pounds. dark red mohair leeches in size 8 were the ticket today. all fish were released. The lake was busy, everyones trying to find out the perfect pattern/lure for the upcoming derby.

kunni

hit elk again today 5 fish in 4 hours, biggest was 17in, lots of guys out that normally aren't. Lots of newbs aswell, and every time any one caught a fish there would be a migration of boats to were the fish was caught, I caught fish in all parts of the lake. I will be out again tomorrow, and will get some pictures. 4 out of 5 fish were taken on a special leech that I tied last night... I know what I am taking to the derby

kunni

Fished wolf lake at the base of mount washington the other day and managed to get two small ones. Only brought bait lines but could tell, with this sun we've been having, some hatches have started. Lots of surface action, but also big schools of fry started jumping right before dark. You know the big cutties have to be swallowing them up. I plan to get out again, this time armed with a fly rod and some bucktails or epoxy minnows and hopefully I'll get one worth getting some pictures of.

Mike

Back