Berkley Big Game for Main Line

burnsy22

Anyone use Berkley Big Game for their main line for trolling? My brother in law was looking into buying a large bulk spool but wasn't sure of its quality. I think it was 25lb.

He has normally used maxima but the price of this Berkley was pretty good.

Thanks

Berkley Big Game is great for main line or anything else. I buy the 8000 yrd spool and it last me a few years. I've used that line for the last 25 years and had no problems.

Good Stuff! It's all I use.
Dave

It's been my main line for years, used to be Maxima, but for the price, you cannot beat BBG. Buy it in the bulk spools and store in some place cool, dry and out of the sun.

Cheers

SS

Used it for a few years when i guided at painters, nothing bad to say about it but i ended up switching over to braided and have never looked back

Berkley Big Game is great for main line or anything else. I buy the 8000 yrd spool and it last me a few years. I've used that line for the last 25 years and had no problems.

Same here I love it.

I'm with albernifisher,go with 30 lb. Big Game green for mainline if you can. It will save you some gear loss.;) eman

30lb main, 40 lb leaders no complaints . I still have some coils of 60lb Triple Fish for hootchies which is good too.

i actually almost bought a spool of big game for my hoochie leaders yesterday , they were sold outta max ultra , but i bailed lol ,hate switching things when i have so much confidence with what i use? any of you use 40lb bgame for leaders ?

thx in advance

( just seen ur post tubber , thx )

fd

I use the 40lb for hootchies. Otherwise I just use 30lb big game for both mainline and leader with bait/spoons. It works great. Haven't lost a fish to a line break in at least year. Except one in Bamfield but that had a knot tied by an inexperienced fisherman. The line works great.

thx

the price is right lol , way cheaper , i may pick up a small spool and giver a whirl , its much darker in color than my normal Maxima Ultra green ?

cheers

fd

I use the 40lb for hootchies. Otherwise I just use 30lb big game for both mainline and leader with bait/spoons. It works great. Haven't lost a fish to a line break in at least year. Except one in Bamfield but that had a knot tied by an inexperienced fisherman. The line works great.

I've used both 40 and 50lb test for leaders, the stuff works great. No difference in quality, except tyees only bite on maxima ultra green.

I've used both 40 and 50lb test for leaders, the stuff works great. No difference in quality, except tyees only bite on maxima ultra green.

Well, I'll agree with the first part anyways. When you've got a big Chinook charging your boat and dragging the flasher behind him I like to have a big strong leader between the fish and the flasher.
Dave

OK I'll jump on board. 30 lb. big game is all I have ever used for mainline and it has never let me down. As for hootchie leader 40 lb. big games works just fine.
Hey hambone I'm glad you never told me before that tyees only bite on Maxima it may have thrown off my confidence. LOL. I have been known to catch the odd Tyee on big game.

h.e.h.

I'm with HeH as far as set up goes on mainline and hootchie leaders. I do have 30lb Maxima on my Islanders.......but that's because they spooled them with your choice of line so I went with the more $$$$$ one! lol Almost $1400 for both reels and FREE line on both ......what a deal! lol ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used Berkley B.G. for mainline for years with great success, 25 lb. and 30 lb. I also have no problem with the new hi-vis BBG lines. I find Maxima a little stiff and with too much memory for mainline for my liking.

I have switched to Maxima Ultra Green for leaders - 30 or 40 lb. for salmon and 80 lb. for halibut for the extra abrasion resistance and strength. I also use flourocarbon on occasion when necessary.

...Rob

Back