Nootka Sound - Spring and Summer 2012

Returned today from a hard working trip. If you like mackeral than this is the year for you.. Picked up three in the 30's with most of the 12 caught being in the 22-25 lb range.. White hooch did most of the damage with a 658 tubby plug coming in a close second.. One of the 30's actually came from jigging by camel rock on Tuesday.. Loved hearing guys going by saying to each other that "jigging doesn't work anymore" as the
30+ was sitting in the box.. Some fresh fish have just moved in and 90% of ours were nice and silver. If you're planning to stay at Cougar Creek be prepared as Dick is full up every day. Had to stay in the parking lot on the first night but not a worry as we were there to fish and not to camp. Have fun anyone going, should be good these next two weeks.

Atta Boy Slayer!

Just got back from a trip to Nootka Sound and stayed at Cougar Creek.
Trip started off on a sour note as we approached the Cougar Creek campsite there was someone who had just gone over the edge in a camper van. Fortunately no one was seriously hurt but the same cann't be said about the truck and camper - probably write-offs. On arrival at campsite it was beyond totally full - no room at the inn but Dick (manager) managed to fit us in. Over the course of the next few days some people had to be turned away but Dick did all he could to accomodate people. I was told this was the busiest he had seen it in 20+ years. Now on to the fishing.
Day 1 (Tues 24th) was spent most of the day around Tashis Inlet/Hoist/Strange Island and managed to boat only 1 coho - lost a couple of bigger springs. Using achovies and houchies.
Day 2 we spent the morning at Tashis Inlet with no results so we headed outside around noon. We managed to put 2 small springs and 1 @ 22lbs in the boat on an army truck houchie. Things still not looking good but some guys were getting their limits while a good number struggled like us.
Day 3 was our low point as we boated only 1 smallish spring with few knock offs. What were we doing wrong. That night we prayed to the fish gods and made an offering.
Day 4 we hit Tashis inlet before sunrise and decided to go with spoons. Within 5 minutes there was a 23lb in the boat and within the next 1 1/2 hrs put a 29lb and a 25lb in the boat. Around 10:30 things started to slow down so we went back to camp, dumped the fish at the campsite, had some lunch and headed outside to try our luck bottom fishing. Heading out it was a little choppy but as we rounded the pint the water was calm and we headed to just off B reef. Water was great and over next 5 hours landed 2 halibut, 1 nice ling cod and managed to participate in a cluster f--- in 200 ft of water between a ray and a dogfish whcih toke us a 1/2 hour to sort out when we got both lines to the surface.
All told the fishing was moderate, the weather co-operated and a good time was had by all.

Hi all
heading up there on monday but the tide in Gold River is super low in the mornin.g Anyone know if the natives are at the parking lot as early as 5.30ish?
thanks and by the sounds of it it is hit and miss on the fish.
Peter
24ft Bayliner 242 AKA 3 amigos

Back from 4 days of fishing.
picked up a 31 and a 28 near the red can on the outside.
Did a tour of the usual place and picked up some teeners in them.
Did my first fish in Tashis inlet and lost way more then we boated.
Had a great time staying at Hoiss Point. (two thumbs up)
Best gear for us was watermelon and green/white c-spoon.
Anchovie worked on the outside but the macks hammered them on the inside.
Needless to say we save our anchovies for the outside.
When fishing the inside I use large spoons and dummy flashers.
The macks left them alone and I still had hookups.
Spotty fishing but brought home our limits.
Hali fishing was a near bust for us as we had a dogfish show.
Did manage a few lings and a small Hali for our efforts.
Of note was I brought my old uncles out and they got fish of their lifetime into the boat.
Lost a hog that jumped clear out of the water 6 times and had blistering runs.
Would have liked to put that one on the scale as that one was the biggest, by far, of the trip.
Best depth for us was 43 feet outside and 51 feet inside.
GLG

First trip to Nootka...beautiful!! Launched at Gold River and stayed at Moutcha Resort Mon-Fri. Nice digs, and the marina wharves are brand new. Fished mostly inside, but did get out to Maquinna (a great tussle with about an 8 lb wild hooknose) (released and not netted) and Escalate (two hali). Released a lot of jacks inside and kept all the mackerel for hali bait. The water inside was in the mid sixties up to 68F. The group of six of us retained 12 Chinook mostly in the teens and low twenties with two in the high twenties. The mackerel were hitting just about anything we tried except large plugs. Anchovy was the most effective. A real gong-show at the Gold River ramp when recovering on Friday. Waited over 90 minutes to recover, but watching all the twitching going on was entertaining. Off to Port Renfrew for a week starting Monday.

Great reports guys! Im going to critter on tuesday. Looking forward to the trip as always.
Hopefully the launch at gold river isnt a gong show.

Back from second trip to Nootka this season. Second trip was ALOT more work to get our fish. It seemed to have died off considerably after the full moon. Tuesday we got in late and fished camel rock for a
few hours. Nothing in the boat. Wednesday we went out to the bank and got a couple 18's and a couple 23's with two nice lings. 44 feet and 55 feet on the ball with anchovies. We experimented with running
the flasher 50' behind the clip and that rod hooked up twice as many as the 20-30' rod.

Thursday was ROUGH on the outside and we got skunked for springs. ended up with two more lings and a nice yellow eye. Friday was slow again and it was our day of destruction for gear and boat parts.
We did end up with a bunch of black cod and a 26 lber on Friday.

Saturday we went back to the bank and trolled at 44' and one on the bottom. Finished off at noon with two more lings, a 20lb'er and a couple around 14 or 15.

Cleaned and filletted, we packaged out at 115lbs of meat. Pretty good trip, but nowhere near as good fishing as the same time last year.

Time to fix all the damage, clean the boat, wash out the salt and prepare for the Fraser River.

Many thanks to a Guy named Tim that was in slip 505 at Critter in an Osprey. A TRUE sportsman and an Amazing help. Not sure if he's a member here, but wanted to extend an extra thanks for the advice,
and info.

Critter Staff was AMAZING as always.

Show up at the ramp Saturday morning listen to some guy say he was going home. He was saying it was the worst fishing in Nootka Sound he had done in 25 years. Started off fishing in the sound and thought it was going to be true. Mack after mack leave your bait in the freezer if planning on being on the inside. So out to the reef we went. Not to hot fishing but no macks. Managed one in the mid 30's and a couple a coho. Stoped at Camel on the way home and fished a bit saw a couple fish caught but concidering there was 100 boats around I would say SLOW.... Sunday had us heading off to the reef once again. Draged the bottom and got a little white meat for the freezer and 2 small spring. Over all we ended 4 spring and 3 small coho over 2 days with 3 people on board. The second bigest spring was only about 14lbs.

Tlaked to a friend of mine that fished the same 2 days this weekend. He got 1 small sring and a few small ground fish.

Sure hope fishing some where around this island picks up.

Just back from 3 days at Nootka. Forget fishing inside...... managed 1 nice coho first day at camel. Fought the macs till they drove us nuts, were even hitting my 6" tomic pilchard spoon! First light 3rd day hit 6 10-12 lb coho at hoise in under 30 min! crazy! bounced out to the highway and found the fish...ended up with 14 fish (20# chinooks and 10# cohos) headed back in at 12 as my "crew" were "done" ;-) Fished tashis inlet that afternoon and had 1 on a very large cut plugged herring which the macs seemed to leave alone. Decided that was enough, loaded the fish cooler and headed to Gold River for the trip home...... Critter was great as always, thanks to cam and catherine...... all in all hardest fishing I've done in nootka, we saw temps of 69-70 inside and 58 on the hwy...guess thats why the fish aren't coming in.....

How much trouble do you folks think I'll have with a 24' motorhome towing my 21' aluminum (about 4000lbs) to Moutcha bay?

Fine, as long as you take your time and make sure your motorhome's brakes are in top condition. There are two steep, windy descents going to Moutcha. One is 15% and the other is 18%. Keep right and watch for logging trucks.

Sent from my iPhone when I should be fishing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course its slow, we just got over a huge full moon. Most of you should know better. It will pick up, give it a couple days.

Hey guys.
First year fishing these waters, we'll be at Critter Cove next week.
Former Rivers Inlet/Charlottes guide needing some words of wisdom from you local scholars - where to go? whats hot? Anybody plugging with an XL herring to try avoid the mackerel? Any oldschoolers out there motor mooching (also an effective way to reduce mackerel strikes)?
Much appreciated!

JS

COMATOSE!!! (No, not slow)

Just got back from 5 days at Nootka, inside, outside, Tahsis, Burdwood, escalante, etc. ALL SLOW.

About 200 boats in the sound right now. Most mornings on traditional spots where there are 20 - 40 boats, you are lucky to see a net pulled out. There are some fish, but be warned that a gill net fishery was scheduled from Tuesday at 8 PM to 8 AM Wednesday. Last count there were over 40 commercial boats from Critter Cove to Head Bay.

I suspect that the hatchery has their fish, and that the river count is on target, so a salvage fishery is starting. I would love to know how many "pieces" they get, as all the sport boats in the sound are not.

I spoke to a handful of boats pulling out who had been there 4 - 5 days without a fish. Apparently July 10 - 15 was great in Tahsis inlet which has not been open for years, and then the fish disappeared.

Did the rains drive the fish up the river like it did in Port Albernie??

Drewski

The Fish just ain't there-been saying that since June-it's a bad year-just like 2008-maybe this will thin the crowds out of Nootka-everycloud has a silver lining!!

Back