Nootka Sound - Spring and Summer 2012

Great reports, we're heading up July 13th... fingers crossed on the weather! Aquatech in Comox has shaved ice, by the cooler full, but you should book ahead, they sell out regularly in the summer.

Gone fishing in courtenay and harbour chandler in nanaimo has the lights and the squid lure for Hali. You have to tie the hoochy's I use yourself out of cuttlefish hoochies or the PIRATES Den Pearl glow wench blanks. Check the thread on rigging LED's. Pretty simple-use your regular tie length behind your favourite flasher-weight in the water has proven to be not a factor.

Spring Fever: Thanks for report & photos of gear. I'm coming from Salmon Arm next weekend, which fishing shops between Nanamio & Gold River would carry the LED lures. Also where can a guy get shaved ice? Thanks Gordon J.

French Creek always has shaved ice......$10-15 a cooler full, depending on size.

Spring Fever will be off the momument or bajo this wed pm til fri.-green and white Orca ch 6-stop by for an info exchange or bevy if anchored. Any updates from last weekend-have they rounded the corner in numbers yet? Will report.

2nd - 6th

We fished last week 2-6th Monday and Tuesday the weather was poor windy and raining and fishing was slow the largest spring was only 18lbs and we had to work for that, marked water temps as high as 60.4* and caught mackeral. The fish seem to be late this year or are following the cooler water. We had the same results as SF went out to the 300ft line and did not touch a fish some came back in around the can and caught alot of smaller fish and some Coho. We`ll give it another shot in a few weeks.

Spring Fever : Talked to a friend from Kelowna today who fished 12-14th. Said best fishing was north of Esperenzia(?) up to Kyoquot as a result of a tip. Caught springs 20- 25 lbs. close to shore at various depths Had best day ( 14th up there). Used hootchies & bait. First two days fished Monument, Bajo lots of small coho and bottom fish not much for springs.

Not surprising that was a3 weeks ago-I fished Winter Harbour 10 days ago and it was great!! Nootka could be okay-I wouldn't chase fish on a 3 week old report. I'm going tomorrow and will report thurs night.

Gordon J

Spring Fever: Sorry gave you wrong dates. My Kelowna friend was fishing July 5-7. Best day was Saturday the 7th at Kyoquot.

If the weather permits, we will try this week for bajo, leaving for Moutcha Bay tomorrow morning, only 1 sleep left.......................gawd it's been a long time but
it doesn't look that good as of now.

Extended Forecast
Issued 04:00 PM PDT 25 June 2012
Wednesday Wind southeast 15 to 25 knots diminishing to 10 to 15 late in the day.
Thursday Wind southeast 20 to 30 knots.
Friday Wind southeast 15 to 25 knots.

Sorry I could not send anything as the lap top battery decided to expand and I did get one sent in on July 5 but may have damage
to the computer since it will not charge.

Arrived at Moutcha on June 26 just got back tonight.

First three days the fishing was good and then the fish God decided to turn the switch off and the weather for the first week was
the craps, wind, rain & cold. Not much fun in 2+m seas with a 2+ft chop with 4 to 5 seconds between the waves but we
battled it out.

We had a 17 - 18 pound spring each day for the first two days, between wash - splash rock and Beano, 75ft with a green&white
hoochie, silver with green trim flasher. Third day we decided to try the south west end of Strange Is. wife picked up a 29lb
spring and we lost another one that really tore the line out.

Also between June27 & June 29 there was a 23lb taken off Strange and a 26lb taken off Camel Rk.........then the switch was
shut off. You could pick fish up but you had to work at it and most were on the smaller size.

Heard on the radio chatter of a 109lb hali from the can area and we did manage a couple of 20lb chickens for ouselves off
Escalante. In total we came home with 6 springs, 4 coho, 2 hali, 7 large rock cod, 1 - 12lb ling.

Lots of boats at the lighthouse.......some were doing real good and others were not, The fish were starting to pick up in
the last two days we were there. In total we probably released somewhere around 10 to 14 legal size springs and probably
the same number of coho. The size of the coho were getting larger towards the end and yesterday the wife had three on in
the 7 to 9lb range, but had to release then as they were not clipped. Sould add we also released two small hali

Moutcha has expanded and has more to go in the future, all brand new breakwater & dock, since the winters storm took out
both. They have 1600ft of new dock and will be expanded to 2900ft this year plus 5 new yurts for a total of 8.

Gas at Moutcha is $1.470 Diesel is $1.499 was told second hand gas at Critters was $1.499

Talking to some of the guides they say the fish are around two week late this year compared to the last few years but as I
said, it was starting to pick up just before we left and we will be back on Aug 4 for another go.

Most of the springs were caught between 47 & 75 ft and the coho between 30 & 52ft.......a water mellon spoon worked
good for the coho and a few springs but the hoochie was best for springs..........at least for us.

I met a few new comers to Mutcha with small boats and after getting to the light house, one found out he did not have
enough gas to get back, so here are a few things to remember:

From Moutcha Bay Resort to:

Critters 6miles
San Carlos Pt. 8 miles
Strange Is. 10 miles
Lighthouse 16.5 miles
The can (Whistle Bouy) & outer Bajo 27 miles..............all these are one way, double for return plus your trolling.

It has been a long day and will read what has gone on here since I left tomorrow.

Dennis

Spring Fever I see you are in Comox. I a m new to the area (spend summers on Denman Is) and would like to meet a few local fishermen. I am in Nootka July 20-31 in a 26' skipjack blue/white on 88a mostly out of Friendly Cove. If any of you locals would like to try S Hornby give me a call. Thanks to all you guys for the fishing info.Mike

Got back on Monday night from a four day Nootka sound trip. Fishing was excellent! No tyee's in the boat but a lot of Coho and Spring salmon action in the area. Also had great time at critter cover. Great people and service!

DM/KC- Thanks for the reports gents. Great to see things are picking up. Doesn't look like you used Anchovy?? Also, did you try fishing up the East side of Strange which is newly opened this year? Great calm water to fish in. When you say second hand gas at Critter, not sure what you mean? I've always found their fuel to be fine, and, in fact, Cameron is very sensitive to gas quality in discussions I've had with him. Was there an issue with it? Just curious as I have great faith in Critter Cove and their services/products.

I think he meant that he had second hand info, about gas at critter.

DM/KC- Thanks for the reports gents. Great to see things are picking up. Doesn't look like you used Anchovy?? Also, did you try fishing up the East side of Strange which is newly opened this year? Great calm water to fish in. When you say second hand gas at Critter, not sure what you mean? I've always found their fuel to be fine, and, in fact, Cameron is very sensitive to gas quality in discussions I've had with him. Was there an issue with it? Just curious as I have great faith in Critter Cove and their services/products.

Yes we fished the east side and that is where we lost one that stripped line like the wifes 29lb on the SW corner of Strange.
No we did not use anchovy........getting lazy in our old age, with a bite & herring or anchovy you have to pull in and check your bait, with hoochies or spoons or other gear you do not have to. I did not say second hand gas, what I ment to say was I did not go over to Critters and ask the price but talked to others that told me. Critters fuel is ok

The price at critter has always been with taxes. I dont recall ever seeing marina fuel that didn't include taxes.

Back