Nanaimo and Area reports - Spring and Summer 2012

No offense to my northern friends but I am sure we have more people out fishing on this website than the Esperanza/Thasis area...

I think there are more fish out there that we know of. Large schools of them moving fast. Just have to be at the general area. I don't think depth is too important as I've heard and seen them hitting anywhere between 100- 165.The season has just started and I'd bet it will be a GOOD one.Forecast so far looks REAL-NICE for the weekend but we can just hope till then!

Bonked a 21 this morning 3 miles out from Piper's lagoon.Should have been out earlier.Just that 1 fish @9:30 within 10 minutes ...then dead.Green @white glow spoon 145ft.

Thurday 6 am-11 am. Fished the fingers, released two borderlines, lost 2 and bonked a 14 and 16.

Surprise of the day was ZERO snot on the lines!! WTF!! Sunday was hell.

Attachments

• bobby.jpg
    bobby.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 148
Last edited by a moderator:
Thought people might check the new regs. there is another notice about 29-4, 29-5. I put it in gulf islands thread.

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0379-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Area 29 - Chinook non-retention

As part of a suite of management measures required to reduce harvest impacts on
Fraser River chinook stocks of concern (including those stocks in the Spring 4-
2, Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 PST management units), restrictions continue to be
required in commercial, recreational and First Nation fisheries that impact on
these stocks.

Effective immediately until 23:59 hours Sunday July 15, 2012 in Subareas 29-6,
29-7, 29-9 and 29-10 the daily limit is zero (0) Chinook salmon.

Management measures to protect and conserve Fraser River Spring and Summer 5-2
Chinook stocks of concern may also be required after July 15th depending on the
in-season abundance of these stocks estimated from the Albion test fishery and
consistent with the management zones outlined in the Draft 2012 Southern Salmon
Integrated Fisheries Management Plan. An update on these management measures
will be announced in a subsequent fishery notice in mid June.

Sport Fishing Advisory Board representatives have been consulted on these
measures.

Variation Orders: 2012-182 and 2012-184.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

For more information contact your local fishery office or the lower Fraser
Recreational Fishery Manager, Brian Matts at 604-666-2096 or e-mail:
brian.matts@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0379
Sent May 3, 2012 at 13:57
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Hi firelight, I can't seem to find anything about a closure in 29-4 or 29-5, I went on the D.F.O site and all I can find is 29-6 29-7, 29-9, and 29-10 closed. Could you tell me where you found the other closures
Thank-you
Tony

Hi firelight, I can't seem to find anything about a closure in 29-4 or 29-5, I went on the D.F.O site and all I can find is 29-6 29-7, 29-9, and 29-10 closed. Could you tell me where you found the other closures
Thank-you
Tony

The only closure information we received was for south of Thrasher and the Banana area of the Fraser. There were no notices for 29-2 or 29-3. Portions (not all) of 29-4 and 29-5 are effected by the notice.

this is off the dfo site kinda in the fine print below the chart, I guess we need to plot the co-ord's to see how much of these areas are changed.

Subareas 18-1 to 18-6, 18-9, 18-11, 19-5, and a portion of 29-4, and 29-5 that lies south from a point on the east side of Valdes Island located at 49.05.562N/123.39.989W then extending 57 degrees True for 5 nautical miles to a point at 49.08.316N/123.33.669W: Until June 15, 2012: the daily limit is two (2) chinook salmon per day of which only one (1) chinook may be greater than 67 cm.

I just had a call from Todd at High Roller charters who asked "where are you and your boat"? He fished both morning and afternoon yesterday and boated 11 fish between 8 and 22 lbs. he started off this morning with a double header - twin 14s Not bad for Nanaimo. I sure wish I had started working on my boat a little earlier and had it ready. Oh well I will be in Nanaimo and on the water next weekend. I can't wait.

h.e.h.

I just had a call from Todd at High Roller charters who asked "where are you and your boat"? He fished both morning and afternoon yesterday and boated 11 fish between 8 and 22 lbs. he started off this morning with a double header - twin 14s Not bad for Nanaimo. I sure wish I had started working on my boat a little earlier and had it ready. Oh well I will be in Nanaimo and on the water next weekend. I can't wait.

h.e.h.

Sweet...looking forward to my trip with Todd in a week and a half!

Hello Finished Business

What day are you going out?

Heading out with Todd and 3 of my good friends (relatively new to ocean fishing) on the 16th so it should be a good time. I've heard good things about Todd thus far, it will be my first charter with him, and I'm definitely looking forward to it!

Heading out with Todd and 3 of my good friends (relatively new to ocean fishing) on the 16th so it should be a good time. I've heard good things about Todd thus far, it will be my first charter with him, and I'm definitely looking forward to it!

I am sure you will have a great time. I wish I was one of your 3 lucky friends. I will probably call Todd on Wed. while you are on the water for an update on Nanaimo fishing. My boat goes in the water in Nanaimo on Saturday - I can't wait.

h.e.h.

If you don't mind me asking where about were you guys fishing ? The fingers, Entrance, The Water Fall, Thraser

If you don't mind me asking where about were you guys fishing ? The fingers, Entrance, The Water Fall, Thraser

I am not sure who you are referring to as "you guys". if it was me I have not been out yet but I usually fish Neck point to Brickyard and the off the fingers 1.5 - 2 miles out into the strait.or the Cannery to Entrance.

h.e.h.

Anything showing from the following areas: Snake island, Neck point, Five Fingers island and Thrasher Rock. I understand there are early season runs through these areas.

Back