Fluorocarbon

burnsy22

Has anyone tried the maxima fluorocarbon? I can get twice as much vs seaguar. I am going to run 30lb for anchovies and spoons and frankly don't want to pay the seaguar price. Just wondering if seaguar is really that much better? Also had a look at yozuri fluorocarbon but it is expensive as well.

Thanks

Yes,there is a big difference! The seagar is pure 100% flourocarbon,while the cheaper brands,such as maxima,are only
flourocarbon coated monofilament. If your looking for a bit of a break in price over the seagar,P-line makes a 100%
flourocarbon line that is quite a bit more affordable. I can't comment on it's quality,though,as I use only Seagar.

What's is the main advantage to fluorocarbon? It's invisibility? Do you guys find that it makes a noticeable difference over mono?

Shane,

I tried it (Maxima) last year with good results. It seemed to kink much more easily though. I went back to mono by the end of the year but the gear ***** in me was at teh counter buying it again last month. If you ever get your a$$ down here you can find out how you like it for free.... if they keep 19 & 20 open! :mad: If not I'm coming up there... which I will be early June so keep your ears on good buddy!

Last edited by a moderator:
I played with it for a while and still have some to get rid of in different lb test. My impression was that in order to achieve the optical clarity for that near invisibility under water, they had to make it rather hard and brittle. When I looked at it under a jewelers loop I could see that there were sometimes fractures in it around the knot almost like you may see in glass or hard plastic that has been stressed. To me it seems to weaken the line at the knot, although this could be minimized by using a drop of oil or spit on it to lube it before pulling the knot tight.

Since salmon don’t seem to be all that leader shy anyway, it just did not seem to me to be worth the cost or effort. I also went back to mono.

Has anyone tried the maxima fluorocarbon? I can get twice as much vs seaguar. I am going to run 30lb for anchovies and spoons and frankly don't want to pay the seaguar price. Just wondering if seaguar is really that much better? Also had a look at yozuri fluorocarbon but it is expensive as well.

Thanks

Run the 30lb if you are not using a flasher ...the 40lb if you are running a flasher... used both Seaguar and Maxima with good luck...did have to be careful with the Maxima 30lb at the knot.... just my 2 bits ;)

Since salmon don’t seem to be all that leader shy anyway, it just did not seem to me to be worth the cost or effort. I also went back to mono.

Very true, unless you run plug, spoons and Hootchies for some of the big Interior lakes where the bows are leader shy. The other advantage I can see is if your bouncing bottom. The Flouro is more abrasion resistant.

Call me stupid, but I won't shell out more money to buy a non stretch line such as florocarbon when fishing salmon for the reasons that the makers promote. Non stretch, thin diameter etc. I want the thicker diameter and stretch. Salmon aren't leader shy, the water is rarely crystal clear. I like to be able to tie the fast knot that mono allows. Also the stretch of mono acts as a shock absorber so the hook hole in the fishes mouth doesn't stretch out so easily and the hook pop free easier with a barbless hook. I can't see any reason to pay way more money to fix something that isn't broken.
This is just my opinion, and if the fish gets away, my fault. We all must make our own choices.

I'm pretty sure the main reason for using fluoro when trolling for salmon is abrasion resistance. There are other decent qualities but that's main factor.

I'm pretty sure the main reason for using fluoro when trolling for salmon is abrasion resistance. There are other decent qualities but that's main factor.

Agree 100%.....leaders last longer..less leaders to be tied..... just my 2 bits :)

Tried it last season and lost many fish as a result of line failure. Had issues with it breaking off and I was told it was due to the knot I was using to tie the leaders up. As others have stated salmon don' t seem leader shy and the water is seldom clear so why bother with the extra cost. I 'am can't be bothered with getting to finicky with the knots to tie it up proper.

fluoromono.jpg

What's is the main advantage to fluorocarbon? It's invisibility? Do you guys find that it makes a noticeable difference over mono?

Salmon are NOT leader shy. If they were, the troll fleet would catch but very few fish. In that capacity, the lightest leaders I use are 60lb mono, heaviest 80lb mono. Not necessary IMHO. But of course if you're simply looking to drop a little jingle, and it makes you more confident to do so, by all means, Fill Your Boots! :D

Cheers,
Nog

X2 Nog

Totally agree

i use 40 - 60 lb , good all Ultra ,

whatever floats ur boat,,

fd

Salmon are NOT leader shy. If they were, the troll fleet would catch but very few fish. In that capacity, the lightest leaders I use are 60lb mono, heaviest 80lb mono. Not necessary IMHO. But of course if you're simply looking to drop a little jingle, and it makes you more confident to do so, by all means, Fill Your Boots! :D

Cheers,
Nog

The salmon may not be able (arguably) to see fleuro.....but they can sure as hell "hear" it (no matter what leader you use). Any leader gives off vibration in the water...and the fish can pick that up.

If you are going fleuro "because the fish won't know it's there"....you are mistaken.

My .02 (and FWIW)--Fluoro carbon (from my experience) has been a waste of money (and time) for salt water applications. Money---it costs more then regular mono (which is tried and true) and I'm not so sure the extra expense is warranted because salmon just ain't leader shy in the salt chuck.

Waste of time? Again, in my experience, in order to use Flouro carbon properly, you'd better know how to tie a double uni-knot (which is very time consuming) and know how to tie it often and fast ( or get comfortable breaking off fish because Fluoro is very unforgiving when it comes to knots).

Lower pound tests of Flouro----I used it up in Alaska last year on "production" steelhead fishing, meaning hooking lots of fish each day under fairly demanding conditions. This gave me a pretty good idea of what tackle will put up with. Short answer summing up my experiences--- 8 or 10 lb Max Chameleon or Ultra Green put up with four times the abuse (beaching fish, pulling snags free, yanking gear out of the bushes etc) then did 12 and 15 lb Seaguar.

Yes, there were times that I thought maybe I hooked fish or had bites on the Seaguar when fishing in high-noon / bright sun / spooked fish conditions that maybe I wouldn't have gotten on the Maxima Chameleon, but I was also amazed at how easy it is to break off fish using knots you would have bet money were sound. All your tried and true knots you've used with mono (improved clinch knot, palomar knot etc) ---they are somehow compromised when using Fluoro.

I'm with FD and Nog on this---leader shy ain't in the same vocabulary as salmon fishing in the salt chuck, but if you think Fluoro is going to somehow give you a confidence-boosting edge, jump right in, but at least stick to the heavier pound tests (40 and up) and then go out and learn the double uni knot!

Here's a primer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGZ8SBI8sGI

My guess is, most of us could tie up three straight Monofilament rigs with an improved clinch knot and be in the water fishing by the time a guy tied up one Fluoro rig with the double uni....

Again, just my experience--results will vary...

The salmon may not be able (arguably) to see fleuro.....but they can sure as hell "hear" it (no matter what leader you use). Any leader gives off vibration in the water...and the fish can pick that up.

If you are going fleuro "because the fish won't know it's there"....you are mistaken.

With a kicker running and a downrigger line or two in the water, isn't the leader vibration, assuming it exists, going to be drowned out? Sorry, but I have a hard time accepting what you're saying.

Back