Haida Gwaii Fishing Forum

[
They definetly treat the guests the same and better!! People like yourself who express desirve, honesty and hard work are a major part of the majical experience that is Langara. Best wishes and have fun.

PS Hope you get to meet Dave Carr. The guy is tough as nails, friendly as a puppy, but smart as #$%^ when it comes to fishing Langara island. I think he is their 2nd longest acting guide but he was a commie fisherman there prior! Tell him a former guest sends his regards!:)

QUOTE=MyEscape;237699]Yes I have moved on to greener pastures. I am not guiding up here I am part of the maintenance team responsible for everything including boats @ Langara Island Lodge. Words cannot express my total happiness in every way they treat there staff so unbelievably well, food is the best, have the most incredible shop to work in with every tool known to man and the scenery is amazing. The one day off a week and the odd evenings to personally fish is a huge bonus as we have 5 staff boats !!!

Cheers ME[/QUOTE]

10 Days and counting!
Reports show a slow start to the season, hope it's just the calm before the storm.

10 Days and counting!
Reports show a slow start to the season, hope it's just the calm before the storm.

Well, all I had to due was refresh for an update :eek:

Here is the latest Langara Island report. THEY HAVE STARTED TO SHOW UP....late for sure but I think most of the west coast has seen the same pattern this year.

As promised, a TYEE REPORT from the Clubhouse, yes we broke the ice, FOUR TYEE on the day, top fish 41 lbs...released!
I had a feeling we would bust out this trip, bait moving in, tides and winds working in our favour. The rougher it is the better when limiting boat traffic, and those who pounded out west and took a small beating were rewarded with some fish. Northwest 25 with a heavy tide is the ticket to some room in one of my favourite spots, sure it was bouncy, but chinook were in the area and providing some action.
Top Fish was taken by David Boyer, a 41 lber, largest fish at Langara this season thus far, and a fish he was thoughtful enough to put back after some great pics. his partner David Akins had a 31, wow, nice fish there too. Brent Saharchuk tagged a 33.5 and David Stevens released a 31 , out at Andrews this pm with Buckshot, David traveling from England I am told. The hot boat for size was Brent's, but most of our guides found some fish. A nice low twenties was tagged at the reef in Bryce's boat, a couple higher twenties in Ryan's boat. Kory had a few nice sea lions, but tagged a fish in the twenties and certainly was busy.
I fished out west and battled the wind and waves with several of our guides. We grabbed our first double of the year, and what a cluster you know what ensued...I had two fish tangled in three motors, around both riggers, wrapped in the cannon balls, around a third rod, under the boat, at one point around my neck, but we persevered, no one lost an eye, and managed to land both high teeners. What a mess, every second wave over the stern, all engines up, several guides guffawing! We ended up with our limit of springs, our boat topped out at 21 lbs, but plenty of action.
In general the east side is hit and miss, lions stacked up like cordwood at times, but the water was nice I hear, and traffic heavy. For those that could take the beating, although once fishing we were dry and safe in our big whalers, the fishing was decent. At dinner the scuttlebutt with the guides was that a couple fish a boat was the average, some not catching but most getting chances, with some losing epic battles with the rock dogs. Certainly we are on the upswing as predicted, and check back again soon for tomorrows report.
Everyone can take a breath and relax, there is now chinook plying the waters of Langara and Dixon Entrance West, things are getting back to normal. Again, thank you to the guests that released the big tyees, what a great way to fish and ensure we have these monsters to angle for in the future, well done, and goodnight from the Club, Mike Tonnesen, Head Guide, Screamer

The day after the above report, Langara claims a guest pulled in a 46lb spring. That is the leading fish for the spring salmon showdown. I head up next Saturday and can't wait!

Was a great day fishing 7 mile today, sunny, low wind and just a gentle swell coming in.
We got a 20 and a 12 to the boat, lost 2 others. Saw a few of the charter guys picking up a couple of nice ones too!

This is the first fish my buddy from work has ever caught, not a bad start!

Attachments

• IMG_1164-2.jpg
    IMG_1164-2.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 183
Jammer.....nice pic.... I recognize that guy and that boat....I'll PM you...We'll be heading out prob on Tues, Wed, Thurs...depending on weather..... Nice fish.... I'll post a report when I get back...

SS31

Report back from the MV Charlotte Princess . . . and the FISH ARE BIG!
Yesterday's catches included 44lb. and a 50lb. Chinook off Lacy Island. Fish on!

Wow, the Langara hotline says yesterday was one of their best days ever? Not in size but in numbers. They report up to 5 QUAD hook-ups, tons of triples and even more doubles. Yesterday was when the herring started moving in bigtime. 200ft deep and over a mile long! I'm leaving Saturday!!!!

I'm hearing good reports from Hippa Island (50+ hook up days) and from Rennell Sound. Hopefully I can get out to the West Coast next week.

Langara Rocks and so does the fishing only two days ago Mark Mac head guide for Langara Island Lodge and his client landed and released a beautiful 58 lbs chinook. What originally was thought to be possibly a small fish that had been sealioned turned out to be another record catch. The client was so excited to land this incredible fish and was rewarded for his release with a new Islander, some amazing pictures and a fascinating memory that will last a life time. Fishing has really heated up with many quad and triple hook ups of chinooks and now throw the coho and chum up to 15+ pounds into the mix which are also showing up in good numbers and it makes for an amazing good time !!! Still cant believe all these fish can be caught at 10 to 15 pulls mootching herring but this old school fishing method works and its awesome playing the fish with no flasher. Cheers ME

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got back Tuesday. There were 2 50+ fish taken at Boulder//Guinia. I was bottom fishing about a mile away at the time. Boulder had been slow untill then, so I guess it's better to be a leader than a follower:) Earlier in the day, I had lost what I think was the salmon of a lifetime to a sealion at Coho point. Oh well, at least the sea lion was nice enoungh to show me the fish while he ate it! The west side of the island (Cape Knox) is currently the hot spot but it is usually very lumpy out there. Burger King and Langara Rocks areas are the other best spots right now. I managed to catch full limits of everything plus a 50+ pound Skate. Let that go back. They are just like pulling up dead weight with no fight.

Good quantity of Chinook and Halibut off of Venture banks as well the first Coho and lots of them...

Bret

eight more sleeps, then i should be out there fishing with ss. I hope they are still bitting the first two weeks of July
sideways

Off to Englefield today for 4 days. Heard pretty good reports out of there lately so hoping it stays good. Will report back after trip.

Last year Naden Harbour....

Attachments

• 2012-06-25 (Small).jpg
    2012-06-25 (Small).jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 127
Back