Need herring????

I jigged up 9 doz is short order yesterday. You can buy multiple hook jigs at any good fishing supply outfit. Get the ones with the fish skin and glow beads. Use lighter line, and about a 2oz weight on the bottom of the jig. Use the sealions to figure out where the herring are. Run over the area with the sounder a couple of times, and drop your jig in the center part of the school/ No need to rip the jig. Just keep twitching your fishing rod as you lower the jig through the school. If you feel one herring hit-- dont be in a rush to pull it up. More will hit it if you wait for a minute or so. Keep moving the boat to stay on top of the school

Very sound advice CL. Where did you find them? I was considering launching at Union Bay on Sunday.;) eman

There were two main schools in Baynes Sound when we were out yesterday. On the inside of the bar was where the commercials made a test set... but we found a tight school being beaten up by the sealions about 1/2 mile south of the Ships Point RCA in Baynes Sound.

For the most up to date go to the DFO page http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm and hit "Get Notice" and look down the list until you get tp the Strait of Georgia roe herring assessment. It tells you where most of the herring are staging before spawning.

Are you guys brining these? Any one have any tips for putting bulk jigged herring up for storage so you don't end up with belly blow-out and mushy bodies? thanks

Are you guys brining these? Any one have any tips for putting bulk jigged herring up for storage so you don't end up with belly blow-out and mushy bodies? thanks

I give them a light rinse in fresh water to remove any loose eggs or milt, being careful not to remove the scales. I then use large Zip Loc freezer bags. Carefully placing one herring with its nose to one side of the bag and the next herring facing the other way, keep alternating. This helps preventing curl when you freeze them. Put a dozen per bag. Throw in a large handful of pickling salt in each bag. Shake them up a bit to disperse . And then onto a flat surface in the freezer. Good for 2 years as bait.

It you prefer, you can sort the herring by size and sex ( if you can recognize a female herring.. they are just light women.. soft and curvy LOL) The smaller males make great cutplug or whole herring in a teaser.

shaking them from your jig directly into a cooler full of water will save the scales as well. If you handle them too much or throw them into a dry bucket you'll lose way too many scales.

I freeze them in bags suitable for 1 day halibut fishing just in a block. I'll separate our the best and freeze them flat on Styrofoam meat trays and vacuum pack, good for teasers or cut plug.

finally a fun thread, it's been a bit intense lately... I've never fished for my own herring, this is something to get out and try, thanks for some tips and inspiration to get out there.

Just love when the jig loads up ...nothing like a 6 or 8 herring wanting to go everywhere at once... :)

Hey CL, was that you out front in Union Bay on Saturday? Was scoping you out with your followers all day.;) Hope you did well. eman

yes-- and Owen and a couple of other boats were out collecting bait as well. BIG schools of very fast moving herring between 20 and 100 ft. It was difficult to stay on top of them (But given the way they were being chased by the sealions I guess it was a life saving necessity!!)

Both Owen and I got around 100 .

This from the DFO Herring Notice for today. The gillnet fishermen are being bribed to stay safe!!! Amazing!

TOTAL STRAIT OF GEORGIA: approximately 100,000 tons.

The gillnet fishery is underway in Area 14. The estimated catch to date is
approximately 1070 tons, with 160 nets and 50 punts active in the EC Denman
Island area. As part of the Herring Safety Events this year, Fish Safe has
invited all fishermen to participate in a PFD Challenge. All fishermen
wearing a pfd during the fishery will receive a prize. A punt with a full crew
wearing PFDs will win a Emergency Kit that includes flares, fire extinguisher,
handheld vhf and many more safety items. Fish Safe will be on the grounds over
the next couple of days as part of this event.

There is a spawn flight underway this morning from Comox to Nanaimo. The only
spawn that has been seen this morning was: 1 cable at Cape Lazo and 3.9 NM
intermittent and narrow on the EC of Denman Island from Fillongly Park south to
Gravelly Bay, with fish in the shallows in this area. The total spawn was
approximately 4 NM with 2 NM of new spawn.

I fully support the wearing of PFDs, but it surprises me that wearing PFDs in a herring skiff, with its beater bar flailing away, and nets being pulled and set, its not automatic that a fisherman looks after his own skin by wearing one..... make ya shake you head.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of herring in front of French Creek. We got almost 300 in 2 hours this morning before the wind came up. Just come out of the harbour and fish along the rocks on the south side
Scott

As part of the Herring Safety Events this year, Fish Safe has
invited all fishermen to participate in a PFD Challenge. All fishermen
wearing a pfd during the fishery will receive a prize. A punt with a full crew
wearing PFDs will win a Emergency Kit that includes flares, fire extinguisher,
handheld vhf and many more safety items. Fish Safe will be on the grounds over
the next couple of days as part of this event.

Did anyone else LOL when reading this part?

Lorne

You;ve chosen to try and be proactive in saving your own life. YOU GET A PRIZE!! hahah

I fully support the wearing of PFDs, but it surprises me that wearing PFDs in a herring skiff, with its beater bar flailing away, and nets being pulled and set, its not automatic that a fisherman looks after his own skin by wearing one..... make ya shake you head.

Does the phrase "not the smartest tack in the box" come to mind?
You would think it would be the law.

Did anyone else LOL when reading this part?

Lorne

You;ve chosen to try and be proactive in saving your own life. YOU GET A PRIZE!! hahah

Hey Lorne, we should have jumped in your sled and got the free package. You need a portable radio don't you?

Back