2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

Tuna scraps were cleaned out, not many prawns left in the traps that were pure tuna bait, but evedence there was a party while it was.

Just wondering about this? What was the evedence of them being there ?

Revenge
The traps were full of tiny empty beer cans : )

The traps had box crabs, spider crabs, a wired soft fuzzy orange crab with long pinchers, a snail like creature, and a fish I've never seen before. There were more prawn carcases than prawns left in the traps. (translucent empty prawn heads) The Scotty bait cans were completely empty.

A prawn trap is not escape proof. It's more like a room full of snacks, when there gone the prawns can get back out.

This was me yesterday on Bon Chovy!

winter-brad-300x225.jpg

prawns-300x225.jpg

Vancouver Fishing Report, December 12/2012

Filed under: Granville Fishing Charter Report, VANCOUVER FISHING NEWS, Vancouver Fishing Reports — Jason @ 6:43 pm

We decided to take advantage of the amazing weather today and head out into Vancouver Harbour to scout for winter chinook salmon. We left Granville Island around 930am and headed out to Howe Sound to drop a couple prawn traps. The water was beautiful with just a little bit of an outflow wind hitting us in the face while we set the traps. After we finished setting the traps we ran back into the middle of Vancouver Harbour and started trolling. We were into quite a few fish right away, mainly on the small side. We did release a nice fish close to legal size. After feeling satisfied that there was some life in the middle of the harbour, we made our way over to the West Van shoreline. We made a couple passes and didnt mark any bait or hit any fish. We picked up the gear at 130pm and headed for the prawn traps. Prawning was decent for a short set and we got some dandy prawns for dinner! All in all it was a good day with great weather, prawns and few hook ups!

Now is the time that winter chinook fishing picks up……last year we had a great day on December 15th, where we picked up 4 legal chinook in Vancouver Harbour!

We are offering some great deals for Christmas! Check out this link for more details.

http://www.bonchovy.com/blog/2012/11/christmas-gift-certificates-save-10-percent/

Give us a call if you want to head out on the water during the Christmas Holidays! Nothing like fresh crabs, prawns and salmon in the middle of winter!!

Tight lines

Jeff and Jason

www.bonchovy.com 604 763 5460 info@bonchovy.com

ARGHHH!
Boats moored at Lions Bay and they are shut until Jan 15. Hope it doesn't get too good out there before then.

We finished gorging on fresh prawns and crab for Christmas Eve dinner. Lots of bait along the West Vancouver waterfront today but unfortunately the wiley salmon stayed out of the boat. Lost one beautiful winter spring on its third run away from the boat ... looked to be 12 to 13 lbs. Released one just just undersized and had another one on briefly that seemed to be somewhere between the other two. Would love to try again tomorrow but would be just a wee bit conspicuous in my absence. Winter fishing in the harbour seems to be underway.

fished Christmas eve
and bagged a red spring just around the 10lb mark
green glow hootchie 120'
tunstall bay area

Yep, some nice fish around....boxed a 32 incher in Howe Sound very recently...and some very good quality around recently...

work or fish was running with me today
but fishing won over
as the wind was not to bad

ended up being a red letter day

25-1/4lb white spring and an 11lber to boot

green splatter 3.5 spoon back done the damage just off the bottom

and only one other boat around and thanks to the chap as he had to turn out
as the fish went on a bit of a walk

and me was fishing solo so things where kind of fun and games
and the proof in the pics

photos 031.jpgphotos 032.jpgphotos 033.jpg

great job and photos wild thing!! Look forward to my first chance to solo fish a big boy like that!

but fishing won over

View attachment 5559View attachment 5560View attachment 5561

Two thumbs up!!!!

but fishing won over

View attachment 5559View attachment 5560View attachment 5561

check your pm!!!!

Yep they're a lovely pair..the bigger one looks like a Cap hold-out :)

Back