2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

Ah..the Bell Buoy has some great fishing when there are few boats around too!!!! Just have to spend time fishing there when other people aren't.....I have a few good days there each year with few people around....heh heh heh...

These forums definitely congest things a bit too.... ;)

Ah yes and some times fishing at the QA can bring you some big springs, just got to get there and do it .....

Ah yes and some times fishing at the QA can bring you some big springs, just got to get there and do it .....

Yup, all these spots have their days or months to fish. Not sure i would say those days are now though. Oh well. hopefully we will see things start to pickup in in January in a few spots. Then before you know it we'll be shooting across to thrasher....sigh. One nice thing, no lineups to launch!

Somebody post a report please.

Recent report as of yesterday from fishing acquaintance:

some fish now in the harbour in the 100 to 120 foot depths fishing within 15 feet of the bottom in bait balls. The fish were 23 and 24 inches respectively. Not big enough to keep but some around. Trolled the QB and did not find any bait there. Fish hit at 115 and 120 on Small Irish cream Silver Horde and 3.5" Coyote Cop Car. Flasher was the oki kinetic green and green/glow hot spot.

The first positive report I have heard from the harbour.

Thx for that FM. The gulf islands has a few similar sized fish kicking around as well (just unders). Also hanging out near bottom. I hit a few on flasher/hoochie and spoon with no flasher last week. Still looking for keepers tho.

The waterfall is a small area. 3 boats are a crowd. Furthermore, if you don't know how to fish it, you won't catch anything while the guide and/or regular to the area catches fish right in front of you. The best fishing in this area is experienced when there is 1 or 2 boats.

X2 on that one ....note that there are 150+ non-members on the forum at any moment of every that can read these reports and hence could crowd a small spot (and needlessly if the fish had moved ) There are lots of good locations in Howe Sound because salmon move around alot at this time of year and follow bait ...case in point, an old well known spot produced a very nice chinook a couple days ago along Keats Is. A VERY nice size I may add! Explore ! if not to find a new location but also because you know winter chinook in Howe Sound are not usually in exactly the same location for very long.

Last edited by a moderator:
X2 on that one ....note that there are 150+ non-members on the forum at any moment of every that can read these reports and hence could crowd a small spot (and needlessly if the fish had moved ) There are lots of good locations in Howe Sound because salmon move around alot at this time of year and follow bait ...case in point, an old well known spot produced a very nice chinook a couple days ago along Keats Is. A VERY nice size I may add! Explore ! if not to find a new location but also because you know winter chinook in Howe Sound are not usually in exactly the same location for very long.

Totally understood Peahead. I was just giving FM a little friendly poke in the first place. Just an attempt at a humorous little comeback to the stay home by the fireplace there’s only room for two of us here, comments. Not sure if it got taken that way or not but whatever… that’s an issue with interpretation.

It would be nice to keep some of these favorite holes quiet but with all the other sources of fishing info, reports, blogs and for that matter the local tackle shops, good luck with that. They aren’t now and haven’t been in years.

Not to mention if a guy is out there and not sure where to find fish he is just naturally going to congregate where he sees other boats fishing. All he would have to be is in the same general area and there’s plenty of info to get him there.

At this time of year it’s just nice to hear any reports, specific or general. If the odd good fish is turning up in Howe Sound and not much yet in the harbour is the report that’s good enough for me. It might motivate me to get out there.:)

Totally understood Peahead. I was just giving FM a little friendly poke in the first place. Just an attempt at a humorous little comeback to the stay home by the fireplace there’s only room for two of us here, comments. Not sure if it got taken that way or not but whatever… that’s an issue with interpretation.

It would be nice to keep some of these favorite holes quiet but with all the other sources of fishing info, reports, blogs and for that matter the local tackle shops, good luck with that. They aren’t now and haven’t been in years.

Not to mention if a guy is out there and not sure where to find fish he is just naturally going to congregate where he sees other boats fishing. All he would have to be is in the same general area and there’s plenty of info to get him there.

At this time of year it’s just nice to hear any reports, specific or general. If the odd good fish is turning up in Howe Sound and not much yet in the harbour is the report that’s good enough for me. It might motivate me to get out there.:)

Your tongue and cheek "poke" on FM was funny and did give me a chuckle - thanks for that.

I wrote my post prior to reading your post so had no reference to yours. My point was simply to agree with FM's point that the area there is small and also I wanted to add the info that Salmon in this area move around alot, often daily. That point was not only to provide facts about the fishing but also to show that the "sheep" mentality of fishing isn't going to work well there and can cause unnecessary crowds in small areas. By unnecessary I mean the fish have already moved to one of the other spots in the sound. To suggest that I or anyone feels they keep areas a secret or fish unkown spots in Howe Sound with no other boats is not what anyone here was implying as far as I know .

My other point was to remind other contibuters here to be aware that posts on this reports thread aren't just read by a few of us active members trading reports but by hundreds of NON-members at any given moment (I suppose some people refer to these as "trolls" )

Last edited by a moderator:
Your tongue and cheek "poke" on FM was funny and did give me a chuckle - thanks for that.

I wrote my post prior to reading your post so had no reference to yours. My point was simply to agree with FM's point that the area there is small and also I wanted to add the info that Salmon in this area move around alot, often daily. That point was not only to provide facts about the fishing but also to show that the "sheep" mentality of fishing isn't going to work well there and can cause unnecessary crowds in small areas. By unnecessary I mean the fish have already moved to one of the other spots in the sound. To suggest that I or anyone feels they keep areas a secret or fish unkown spots in Howe Sound with no other boats is not what anyone here was implying as far as I know .

My other point was to remind other contibuters here to be aware that posts on this reports thread aren't just read by a few of us active members trading reports but by hundreds of NON-members at any given moment (I suppose some people refer to these as "trolls" )

Fair enough.

I never meant to say anyone was putting a claim on a secret spot just trying to make a joke that i felt maybe wasn't received the way it was intended or maybe I misread the intent of some of the responses.

Personally, there is nothing i hate more than fishing an area that I would consider crowded. Whether that consists 3 boats or 300 I'm looking for a another spot once it starts not being fun. I'm not a guide so I'm not working it for a living just working it for fun.

If I did offend you FM? Then I apologise it's not what i originally intended.

No offence....yo ho ho ho...and a bottle of Fireball Rum...it's ch ch chilly on the water....

fireballin and prawnin today,, should be nice and quiet out thar!!

Patron is overpriced!!!!!

looking forward to how your baits and traps fared out there!....any news? I've got a freezer-ful of heads and lines that I'm hoping to put to good use at around 220'... I fished a freezer burnt loin last year in a crab and prawn trap....I was pretty happy with the results!

FB

Had to long soak due to weather.

As for the Bait for the traps I recovered.
Tuna scraps were cleaned out, not many prawns left in the traps that were pure tuna bait, but evedence there was a party while it was.
The traps that had pelets aswell as tuna had lots of big prawn in them, Tuna was all gone, but there was enough pelet left to keep the prawns in the traps.

You can make your own conclusion, but I think the Tuna will be killer on a short soak.

Thanks for the details Kidd, I'm thinking the same thing. Good idea doubling up your bait to hold your catch after the tuna was devoured....

Tuna scraps were cleaned out, not many prawns left in the traps that were pure tuna bait, but evedence there was a party while it was.

Just wondering about this? What was the evedence of them being there ?

Back