2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

Ok, put 6 prawn traps out of Pender Harbour yesterday for a couple day soak. will post the catch.. May need FD to post the pictures to prove a prick can be use full. Used Tuna trimmings that Jerry packed for bait.

Ok, put 6 prawn traps out of Pender Harbour yesterday for a couple day soak. will post the catch.. May need FD to post the pictures to prove a prick can be use full. Used Tuna trimmings that Jerry packed for bait.

looking forward to how your baits and traps fared out there!....any news? I've got a freezer-ful of heads and lines that I'm hoping to put to good use at around 220'... I fished a freezer burnt loin last year in a crab and prawn trap....I was pretty happy with the results!

They release you on good behaviour ? ,
gotta be tuff gettin around the city when your not allowed within a kilometre of any high schools captain
I showed your gal how ta post pics while you were away : )

Ta Bamtown thursday , see ya at the up-coming fest perhaps ??

later

fd

Update!!

Was a little lumpy the last few days so just let them soak, I set them in a 410' deep hole so they couldn't blow away. Ventured out about 3pm yesterday in a sporty 4' to 6' with a light gale. Had to do circles to take pressure off the line as my bro worked the hauler. After about a 10 minute fight got one trap to the boat and then snapped off the rope at a knot 2 traps, and a 10lb cannon ball gone. So put my tail between my legs and decided to let the other string soak. No bait left in the can after a good 3 day soak, some box crabs, bunch of Prawn carcasses and 3 monster prawns. will try again later today to recover the other string after we go Christmas tree hunting up the mountain (Under the power lines) little early but back to work Tuesday. No Bamtown till next year now.

FD, Jo said those were the smallest pictures she has ever seen!!

I had to hit West Marine (Richmond) yesterday to pickup an item I ordered in and parts to service my engines. Between that and Galleon across the street, ouch!

So I took the dogs, figured I’d check out Macdonald beach at the same time. Saw a 17’ Tyee being launched and one other trailer in the parking lot when I got back from dog heaven.
Wind came up pretty good in the afternoon. So has anybody been dragging lines lately or is it just too early and nasty out to bother?

i am waiting until its clear and cold.... mmmm winters springs

Not just yet

The local pros who know how to fish structure are finding the odd one....and we're fishing it hard to produce..wait a while....

We picked up a nice fish (approx. 12 lbs. or so) from waterfall/3rd marker area on Saturday, but we had to work pretty hard with the lousy conditions. Very squally with lots of rain. Fish came on a glow cop car/red flasher from 110'.

i will take ya up on a prawn n fish soon Craiger
all i need is a box ta sleep in !
your gal must have sum hot ! not so smart fiends : )

catch-up soon

cool ya got ur traps back , looked dalish on the grill...
we experimented with ground Alby carcass and oils ,
slick it was for production , but messy..time consuming...

later

( anyone lookin ta try out fresh Albacore ,
Steveston docks sells them in the summer , commy boats ... . fairly in-expensive as well.... )

fd

No Bamtown till next year now.

FD, Jo said those were the smallest pictures she has ever seen!!

Last edited by a moderator:
We picked up a nice fish (approx. 12 lbs. or so) from waterfall/3rd marker area on Saturday, but we had to work pretty hard with the lousy conditions. Very squally with lots of rain. Fish came on a glow cop car/red flasher from 110'.

sounds like you were at least rewarded for an ugly day. I would love a 12lb winter spring right now.

Where is waterfall/third marker? i go out looking for waterfalls I never seem to find them,lol.

So by waterfall are you refering to a drop off and along the Jericho to Point Grey tack? Or am I just way off base?:eek:

sounds like you were at least rewarded for an ugly day. I would love a 12lb winter spring right now.

Where is waterfall/third marker? i go out looking for waterfalls I never seem to find them,lol.

So by waterfall are you refering to a drop off and along the Jericho to Point Grey tack? Or am I just way off base?:eek:

west side of bowen, north of tunstall bay

:eek:
west side of bowen, north of tunstall bay

LOL, so i was way out to lunch on that! I felt like i was trying to decipher some kind of secret fisherman's code and maybe i was. Is there actually a waterfall? Is there ever an actual waterfall?

thanks for the info Trophywife, i was hoping someone else might ask the question but it never happened. :eek: Oh well...

The waterfall is a small area. 3 boats are a crowd. Furthermore, if you don't know how to fish it, you won't catch anything while the guide and/or regular to the area catches fish right in front of you. The best fishing in this area is experienced when there is 1 or 2 boats.

With all the rain lately, the actual waterfall can be seen from quite a distance. Just find the southernmost marker south of Hutt Island and you'll see the waterfall. At this time of year, I just work the depth contours and hunt for good concentrations of bait. When the weather is like it was this weekend, you'll probably have the place to yourself. On the other hand, you may also wish you were home in front of the fire.

With all the rain lately, the actual waterfall can be seen from quite a distance. Just find the southernmost marker south of Hutt Island and you'll see the waterfall. At this time of year, I just work the depth contours and hunt for good concentrations of bait. When the weather is like it was this weekend, you'll probably have the place to yourself. On the other hand, you may also wish you were home in front of the fire.

X2 at home in front of the fire

It's an amazing place the west side of Bowen-the birds, the fog-sometimes all traces of human activity are blotted out and you could be anywhere on the coast-long, long ago.

Now i know where you mean, I fished in there a couple of winters ago. I didn't get anything but it was really blowing that day and we only fished it for a few passes and moved on. We had some issues that day, that was the day before I ordered my prop guard. Need i say more...

The waterfall is a small area. 3 boats are a crowd. Furthermore, if you don't know how to fish it, you won't catch anything while the guide and/or regular to the area catches fish right in front of you. The best fishing in this area is experienced when there is 1 or 2 boats.

Well i know where you are coming from. I have a place I would prefer to share with only two or three other boats too. Never seem to get that wish though. Perhaps you've heard of it, it's called the Bell Bouy...:)

bell Buoy

Ah..the Bell Buoy has some great fishing when there are few boats around too!!!! Just have to spend time fishing there when other people aren't.....I have a few good days there each year with few people around....heh heh heh...

These forums definitely congest things a bit too.... ;)

Ah..the Bell Buoy has some great fishing when there are few boats around too!!!! Just have to spend time fishing there when other people aren't.....I have a few good days there each year with few people around....heh heh heh...

These forums definitely congest things a bit too.... ;)

Absolutely, this time of the year most places are pretty light. Other than that, I've had the Bell all to myself at first light in season,... for about 10 minutes. Awfully sweet ten minutes though. Love that first light bite!

Back