applying registration stickers

demco99

Any trick to getting em on nice and straight? got the stickers.. need the number on both sides of the hull correct?

Demco,

Before you even think of applying the decals clean the area with thinners, wash with water and dry well. Don't peel off the backing yet, "dry fit" with painters tape to make sure your happy with the decal being level and then start on one end slowly removing the backing right to left or left to right whichever you find easier. Once the backing is off take a plastic putty knife and get all the air bubbles out, as well, make sure the decals are very well adheared so it wont come away with the top layer and then remove the top layer and tape. Take your time and it should be fairly straight forward.

TC requires 3" (75mm) high lettering and must be both sides of hull. You want to put them somewhere where the dock won't rub the decals too.

I highly recommend goig to a place like Signorama , ( did mine , fairly inexpensive )
give License Number to the Company of ur choice , They'll print it out on on long sheet . Un peal
one side ( sticky side ) , press to desired area of boat , then remove outter protective layer , Whala !! Easy Peasy , Perfectly straight ,

FD

Last edited by a moderator:
Just put mine on 2 days ago, (individual letters). Ensure you clean the location carefully first then all I did after my location was selected was to measure up from my trim line in 3 locations and placed a strip of masking tape so that it is just touching each of the 3 pencil marks on the hull. After that find the centre of where you are going to locate your numbers and put a pencil mark there. This is your starting point for placing your decals. Select the middle number and place the top of the decal till it just touches the bottom of the tape edge. Ensure that the top edge of the number is even with the tape. No gaps or the number will be crooked. After the first number is place decide how far apart you want your numbers and plac another pencil mark on the tape and repeat the process forward and aft. As long as you ensure that the top of your lettering is even to the tape it will come out fine. After ward I just took a soft cloth and applyed firm pressure to ensure that they were adequately applied.It was the first time I had ever done it and doing it this way took about 15 mins or so and they look great.

Thanks for the help guys mine are individual letters as well so I will clean the area well and follow your instructions as the boat is now on a trailer..

i agree with FD. You can do anything yourself, but there are people who do this for a living. Just like FD said, most of these guys will print out all your numbers on one sheet, and slap it on nice, straight and perfect. It is a lot cheaper than most people think. As far as your hull numbers go, there is nothing fancy about them, any decal guy will tell you it is a waste to go all fancy on your hull numbers, spend the $$$ on your boat name, as that is what you would want to stand out, you put the numbers on only to please transport canada and the police. My $0.02

Back