Area 19 Chinook reg's

scott craven

"June 18 - July 15, 2011: the daily limit is two (2) chinook salmon per day of which only one (1) chinook may be greater than 67 cm. The minimum size limit in these areas is 45cm."

Has anyone heard if the regulation changes back to 2 fish over 45cm
effective July 15 ?

:confused:

That's what it looks like.......

Amazing how many people don't realize that it is a one over one under reg right now :mad:

ITs a joke Scott and frustrating... As you know .....last year there wasnt an update sent or nothing from what ive seen most are following whats beeen set, seen a few small springs bonked as pinks though at the cleaning station and soon throw in a few soxs interesting time when pinks are around.... I would'nt want to be a fisheries officer they could sure make a lot of $$$$ right now in implementing fines......
I personally havent seeen one yet this year....

I called fisheries, and the slot size limit is indeed over July 15 01259 am
2 Chinook over 45cm (wild or hatch) will be in effect.

In 2015, the Albion chinook test fishery began operating on April 26. The
total catch for the period of this update (May 3 to May 29) was nine (9)
chinook. Based on this input, the current predicted return to the mouth of the
Fraser for the Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 chinook aggregate is between 25,000-
52,000 fish (median of 35,880).

The next and final in-season update is planned for June 15.

Department will confirm management actions. Previously announced fishery
management actions to conserve Fraser River chinook remain in effect

Seems this is a slightly better result than the last few years, although still not great.
Wonder how that will effect the slot ?

Can only hope, but not counting on it..With all this lack of water of everywhere it could have an impact on the decision. I am hoping not the case but it definitely something that was not an issue last year. Whatever decision is I would like to see it released in next week or so... Not the night of.

Where are you getting that reg? Here's what the Area 19 Page says now:

Subareas 19-1 to 19-4 and Subarea 20-5 (those waters near Victoria between Cadboro Pt. to Sheringham Pt.): March 1 to June 12, 2015: daily limit of 2 chinook, wild or hatchery marked between 45 cm and 67 cm or hatchery marked greater than 67 cm in length. Minimum size limit is 45 cm in length.

How is that "one over one under"? I read that as 2 hatchery greater than 67 is also allowed, or two wild 45-67, or other combinations.

...yet another year...waiting on the sidelines...........;(

Here is what the 2014 regs said last year via FN476. I didn't see any reference to one over/under?? I interpret FN476 as either 2 chinook/daily limit wild or hatch 45-85 cm or hatch only over 85?? Probably be the same for 2015?
June 14 to July 18, 2014 management actions:

Effective 00:01 hrs Saturday, June 14 until 23:59 hrs Friday, July 18, 2014 in
Subareas 19-1 to 19-4 and Subarea 20-5 (those waters near Victoria between
Cadboro Pt to Sheringham Pt.), the daily limit is two (2) chinook salmon per
day which may be wild or hatchery marked between 45 cm and 85 cm or hatchery
marked greater than 85 cm in length. The minimum size limit in these areas is
45 cm in length.

I'm guessing 'one under one over' is because when the reg is in effect, you catch one under, then catch and release until you get one over? Of course you could take the next one under, but the next one after that might be the big one :)

If I remember correctly westcap they posted that reg then caved to political pressure and updated it to 1 over 1 under like craven says it will be this year. Its just really too bad its not a 2 fish limit with only one being wild instead of this 1 over 1 under crap. The millions of hatchery chinook going to washington do not need protectin.

GDW...yep thanks!! Got it--it was amended the same day by FN0486.
June 14 to July 18, 2014 management actions:

Effective 00:01 hours Saturday, June 14 until 23:59 hours Friday, July 18, 2014
in Subareas 19-1 to 19-4 and Subarea 20-5 (those waters near Victoria between
Cadboro Pt to Sheringham Pt.), the daily limit is two (2) chinook salmon per
day of which only one (1) may be greater than 67 cm. The minimum size limit in
these areas is 45 cm in length.

Back