Port Renfrew Reports -- Spring and Summer 2011

A friend and I were out Friday with Blair at Swell Time charters. 1st time for either of us using a charter. Had a great time with Blair. We limited out and went back to Victoria happey campers. Like to thank Blair for taking the time answering our questions and keeping us informed and all they while putting us on the fish. Truly a great day. We are discussing a repeat trip.
Randy

We had some Hali's in 180 ft and others in 230 ft I try to fish as shallow as possible to make everything easier.. We were closer to the NE side of the bank... You can honestly catch Hali all over that bank, we just look for changes in contour lines in water between 180 and 260ft.. We also move a lot if there is no action in 45min to an 1 hr we will move... unless we are anchored then we will wait for the Tide Changes... but if your drifting... keep moving to new areas and re-set your gear... We spent 3 hrs at the "J" bouy with nadda.. moved and had our double header in under 2 mins...

Was a bit slower but consistent for us on Saturday, did not fish Sunday. Overall fish were further west, mostly around Walbran. Bite came on a bit later and continued for awhile, we got 3 but saw many boats that did better than us. Overall this is some of the best fishing I have ever seen in Renny. Pinks and coho were very thick once you hit the 280 foot level, triple headers were the norm.

Been doing ok in Renfrew all summer, however fancy one trip out again before the summer ends, any advice on whether there are normally decent fish around in the 1st few days of Sept or have they passed through by then??

Thanks

Just finished my summer out in Renny, great 7 weeks of fishing and exploring. Everyone who visited caught fish, did not say landed but, it was a great time. Can't believe I have been going out there for 5 years now. Have learned so much and met so many great people. New to me boat did a fine job. Already looking forward to next summer. Take care everyone, have a fantastic fall and winter, hope to be out for some coho in Sept, Oct.

He had a great summer. Has been attending U of Wisconsin Parkside on a scholarship and has spent the last two summers playing in Swift Current in the WMBL. Summer collegiate league. He earned second team league all-star and is heading back to college for his last season. They made him a catcher two years ago and it has really paid off. How has your summer of fishing been? Haven't seen you in a long time.

Fishing is still good in renfrew, fish on Swiftsure are HOGS, and there are NICE hali's from Carmanah to Nitinat for those who take the time to anchor for them. BIG LONG strips of Pink fillets were workking for me, and the usual lures on Swiftsure for the springs. The shoreline has been a little slower, but that damn red tide probably isn't helping matters.

Braden, sorry about that gong show in the river man!

No problem kelly, thank god for your spot light my headlamp wasnt cutting it and gps lost signal. See you out there tomorrow

Last edited by a moderator:
How was it today? Heading out there for my first time this weekend ! Planning on launchin at the china creek marina and campground is that a good place to fish right there? Ps I plan on winning the derby;)

Fishing is good,
big springs coming in off the bank. Not super fast and furious out there, but youll get your limits if you put in the time. Hootchies were the ticket, couldnt force a spoon into anythings mouth. Pinks are everywhere and easy to get, no coho or sockeye being caught to speak of.

Beach was slow sat-tues, but picked up on the afternoon flood wednesday. quite a few boats got atleast 4 fish on the afternoon flood.

hali is decent on the pick with bait.

yup the ranch and bumps are producing them. you can even just troll into the current on the bumps so your boat is staying still but lines are at. 45 degree angle behind the boat and get them real good.

as long as purple was on the flasher most hootchies produced, purple and white were best for me though.

Back