Hydraulic Steering wanted

fishproof

Looking for a used Hydraulic steering system. It is going on a 150 hp Mercury Optimax. Need the helm and the hydraulic cylinder. Seastar or Uflex. Best price I've found for new is $795 for a Uflex. Just need to purchase the hoses separately.

To save you some bucks just go to industrial fasteners down behind willie dodge take the helm with you as they have ALL the fitting but you want to make sure what they have will fit as there is a qazzilion fittings LOL and measure what size hoses you need exactlly make sure to give enough room for the swing of the motor and add a ft or 2 takes about a day but got a set from them for about 50 bucks if i remember right.

good luck Wolf

Thanks for the info Wolf. Might go try out the boat show in Vancouver next weekend to see what the prices are like there for a new system.

for a helm station uflex is amuch better build and design than seastar with far fewer problems - but more expensive. you can use a uflex pump on a seastar system, they have the exact same hookups and mounting arangement. You can get them brand new for about 450 from the states, do some searhcing around or ebay and you'll find them easily. brand new seastar - dont spend more than 375$. shop around online its well worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
X2 on Wolf's post,(may not be same place but same area).
Coast Industrial Parts 562 Dupplin Road (across from Mayfair).
I had to replace some parts on my Seastar system, and also have some custom made, (changed fitting angles to reduce rubbing/stress) and Seastar wanted a lot of $$$.
I have a friend who is an engineer on one of the big Coast Guard boats and he told me that the Coast Guard gets all their hydraulic parts etc.. from there. I went down there (took my old parts with me, just like Wolf said) and they made custom hoses and actually fabricated fittings for me in less than 45 min. They actually had to make the fittings, and charged me $12 each for them, forget what the hoses were worth, but recall that they were better and cheaper than the Seastar ones. Really good guys.

Yep thats the place sorry wrong name thanks for correcting me.....thats also where I got a filter for my gas pump as well.

good luck Wolf

Thanks for the info. Nedarb. I did not know you could mix the two systems together. That also sounds like a good place to go for fittings and hoses in Victoria. Thanks for the help.

Back