Something New To Try With A Spoon

It makes sense that it would probably work, but I would think that this is not something new and that lots of people have tried it before, as you could mix up some colours. I am curious about the action it would produce, probably a little bit reduced from what the normal spoon would produce.
I am interested to see what some of the replies are on this would be, as I am sure some of the more senior members on the forum here must have tried it.

They work. I don't use them any more. When I worked up north there were all sorts of stuff we came up and used on a regular basis. Manage your speed to get the right action and the fish will hit it.

I remeber using Tomic Plugs with skirted hooks and nailing big hogs. Just make sure it is a good swimmer once it is in the water.

My buddy who fishes out of Everett has been using that setup for 2 years now. He swears by them . Esspecially when using 3/0 Matsuo Siwash Sickle hooks.
I'll have to build a few for the tackle box and see if they work as well for me out of Bamfield.

A made some up to try out.

P1010445.jpg

Just playing around on this one. It's Nogs Blue Neon Pilchard spoon conversion with a hootchie. It makes it 9" overall.

P1010442.jpg

I guess it can't hurt.. I think its one of those systems that will work good when the fish are biting.. During the times when you could hang a dirty sock over the edge of the boat and it will catch fish..

The problem I have with it is you are matching 2 different baits into into 1. You have a minnow imitation and a squid imitation going on.. It may not be a bad combo but during times when the fish are being picky I don't know ???

But hey I will be giving it a try for sure,, its fishing man,, you just never know..

I've had some experience with rigs like these fishing for lake trout, bass, and northern pike. From experience they actually work pretty good. Although I personally like to keep with matching colors to carry the effect from front to back, sometimes mixing things up can make the difference. The action these things give is like a giant jointed Rapala with a soft rear end. The action of the spoon gyrating has the hootchie or rubber jig swinging all over the place. I think it probably looks, and sounds, like a wounded baitfish. Being bigger makes it a good target for larger fish as it looks like a big fat easy meal. More calories of intake for less expended energy. Just like nature intended.

We finally got out and tried the new Kingfisher Tailwagger spoons that we made up. They look good in the water and the Irish Creme spoon with mini spatterback hootchie produced a nice fat winter spring. I think they definitely have a spot in the tackle box.

IMG_20110209_120102.jpg

Looks good, will have to give it a try, can't hurt to try it out.

Hey do any of the pros (guides) on this forum use this type of set up with any success?

Back