The OFFISHAL Vancouver 2011 Reports Thread

Well guys....2012 is here..and I'm looking forward to another year of fishing...from my hometown...Vancouver!

Here is a cool video of my buds at Bonchovy Fishing Charters with their favorite fishing pics of 2011.
Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5HNeOHCwwg&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
yeah thats pretty cool FM, seen it a little earlier today,
I'm pretty convinced Jason can find fish in a bathtub, I see he's got one of mine on there from earlier last year too

A perfect winter morning on the water.

Out for 1 ½ hours to run the engines between 9:30am and 11am in the sun and boxed a 15lb and an 8 lb off of West Vancouver between the Capilano and the Pink Apartment. Both just off bottom on a TKO spoon (“Hot Hans”) … two other undersized released on the same spoon.

2012115-WestVancouver.jpg

A perfect winter morning on the water.

Out for 1 ½ hours to run the engines between 9:30am and 11am in the sun and boxed a 15lb and an 8 lb off of West Vancouver between the Capilano and the Pink Apartment. Both just off bottom on a TKO spoon (“Hot Hans”) … two other undersized released on the same spoon.

2012115-WestVancouver.jpg

Good work there buddy! :)

A few fish around today... :) :)

nice pic for sure,, gets the fishin blood flowing...

Those TKOs have been a dirty little secret in Vancouve waters for a while now....an apt replacement for the silver Krippled K's which are too precious to fish. If anyone has any original Coyote Green/Sludge Glows I'm looking to "acquire" some more.

Looks like I'll be out on Saturday or Sunday depending on weather (winds) tides look good for an afternoon flood. Who's going? I'll see yah out there

Bought a Hot Hans when I was over in Bamfield last summer --- stopped in the tackle store in PA on my way to the nook looking for the Neon Green TKO spoon which was one of my favorates spoons when KK spoons where available.. they had zero so I settled on the hot hands and was rewared on my last day of fishing with a 30 pounds tyee just outsdie the nook LOL.... been trying to get out and use that spoon in Vancouver Harbour for the last month or so but too much rain kept me off the water -- dammit you beat me to them --- well done nice fish TEJA

Agreed, great job Teja! you make it seem too easy, just casually dropping some gear while out to get the fluids moving through the engines and you bang two beauties!!

For me, the best thing about heading out at this time of year is that I have no expectations other than to get some fresh air and to run up the engines. If the stars align (right tide, right location and right gear) and if, unlike in the summertime, I am not competing with a number of far more knowledgable fisherman, I actually stand a good chance of exceeding my expectations. This past Sunday, for me, went well beyond that as I thought I might find a keeper out there but I definitely didn't expect to bump into into a mid teens fish out there ... I think the boat needs to be run up again this month.

p.s. the last couple times out I have dragged around TKOs, Kingfishers and CJ Specials and I have yet to have anything hit the CJ Special ... will keep trying it though as its action is great.

Teja, nice fish! always good to see some winter chrome on the docks. Demco, when we heading out? you around this weekend?

Nice! Where they whites or reds?
One red and one white (with a slight bit or marbling).

Something that was interesting for me ... both fish were incredibly moist when barbecued, far moreso than I recall winter springs being in prior years - curious whether it was just my taste buds and memory being off a bit or whether cleaning in colder temperatures (+/- freezing) shortly after catching helps to hold the moisture in the fish that much.

Nice fish Teja, from what I know about winter spring is that they are super fatty. especially if they have had access to lots of feed. All the winters Ive caught this year have been very moist also. I actually put two of my bigger ones in the cold smoker and they turned into the best cold smoked spring I have ever tasted. Just curious what size and color CJ you have been using? and is it one of the aluminum ones?

Just curious what size and color CJ you have been using? and is it one of the aluminum ones?

fortyfour,

I have two of the aluminum CJ's - a 3 1/2 purple and then a smaller yellow one. I have ran the purple CJ twice now and haven't run the yellow one yet ... the action looks great so I expect it is only a matter of time.

Well, Teja was an inspiration, so I took the day off work and headed to Tunstall this morning for a couple hours not expecting much action. I managed to box one nice little one, and released another barely legal or maybe not. As I had caught the first one 10 minutes earlier, I was still in a good mood and happy to release that fella for another day. Since I don't have a TKO Hot Hans, I used a Green Glow and Flaming Hans on the bottom. It was great to be out on the water but it changed a little when the SW kicked in earlier than forecast. I don't have a scale, so I can't say how heavy it was, but it was a really good scrapper - put up a great fight.

Attachments

• tunstall.jpg
    tunstall.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 113
. I don't have a scale, so I can't say how heavy it was, but it was a really good scrapper - put up a great fight.
lengthxgirthxgirth divide by 800 gives you a fairly accurate weight if at all curious

Back