Rod Recommendation

King_Cod

I'm in the market for some new fishing rods. At the moment I am using the Shimano Convergence 10'6" rods and had a malfunction with my Islander reel pulling out of the foot mount. Damaging the rod and bending the reel foot.

What are you all using? Do you use 10'6" rods or 9' rods? What brand would you go with?

Thanks

KC

i think 10'6'' are most desirable, unless fishing out of a smaller boat.
Im asking for a pair of the rapala northcoast moochers for christmas :) - g-loomis would be nice to have though if your looking for a highend rod

I would stay with the 10.5' rods if possible. I've used Shimano TDR's in 8' and 9' and they are OK, but my guests kept breaking off fish with them. Since going to the longer 10.5' rods, I've never had them break off a fish. That alone paid the extra cost of the longer rods!

Granted, they are a bit of a pain in the boat, but once you are fishing, you will be thankful for the extra length.

10.5 Shimano Techniums in Medium Heavy Action. Sensitive, light, and Even the clients have a rather tough time breaking them ;)

Cheers,
Nog

I'm also in the market for a couple of 10'6's for my islanders. Not looking to spend a lot and looking for medium-heavy action. Haven't really had a good look at the Rapala's but have heard of them. Whats the price on them? Haven's seen them sold solo, just in combos. Looked at the Convergances today and they were listed at around the $100 each mark. Whats the price on the Techniums?

I have seen techniums for as cheap as 139 or 149 up to 169. The 139 I believe was up in Campbell River at Ideal tackle, but you may want to call. I think Gone Fishin had a fairly good price on them as well compared to others.

I myself didn't want to spend the money on the technium and went for a 10'6 Shimano Talora, it was around $89.00 at wholesale sports. Not as light as the technium but they are virtually indestructible. Also I found a MH 10'6 Amundson that is a really solid light rod, but Ideal Tackle in Campbell River is the only place i have seen the exact same rod.

If you are looking for a convergence and are in Nanaimo they have em at Wholesale Sports for $76.99 . I just found that they didn't have the same sort of strength and solid feel the Talora/Technium had.

Last edited by a moderator:
10'6" Shimano Techniums X 2.

Heavy or Medium Heavy. I have some of the Heavy Action ones available for CHEAP, brand new in the package and marginally above wholesale. These make a great downrigger rod but are ideally designed as lodge rods for cut plug mooching with 8 to 10 oz weights. These rods offer the power to "pull heavy" on 20 lb fish and up all day long and they're virtually indestructable. I can say that I have them right next to the "Medium Heavy" versions and there is NOT a whole lot of difference between them...as a matter of fact...you'll probably say "I can't see the difference...can you see the difference?" in action and feel.

If you ever come down to Vancouver, send me a PM, I still have a couple available.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Much appreciated!

The Cheapest I have seen the Convergence rods is at River Sportsman in Campbell River. $56-60. I have had two malfucntions with these rods. First one was one of my guests went to pull the line off the downrigger clip and snapped the rod in half. Second was the reel seat breaking. I will definatly check out the Techniums and the G-loomis.

Trotac in Victoria stocks a lot of Shimano Techniums. As well, just looked at the Steveston Marine christmas flyer that just came out, and they have Fenwick HMX 10'6" on sale right now for $99, which ar IM7. Never used the HMX before, but held them in the store and they do have a pretty good feel to them. Probably others on this site have though.

My $0.02

I'm in the market for some new fishing rods. At the moment I am using the Shimano Convergence 10'6" rods and had a malfunction with my Islander reel pulling out of the foot mount. Damaging the rod and bending the reel foot.

What are you all using? Do you use 10'6" rods or 9' rods? What brand would you go with?

Thanks

KC

The Shimano rod you have should have a warrenty :)

I use the fenwicks been using them for years. great rods great warranty
heard good things about techniums to

I have two 10' 6" Convergence rods and three Fenwick HMX (IM6 & IM7), also 10'6". I have used them all lots and so far have not had any problems with any of the rods. I do prefer the action, play, and feel of the Fenwicks and use them exclusively now, with the Convergences as spares. I have not tried the Shimano Techniums but may get one if I need another rod (not likely as I have lots of other rods as well).

...Rob

Back