Flasher Holder

searun

I'm always searching for ways to get better organized. One thing that really has become a challenge is keeping my flashers clean and organized as I cycle through various gear. I tried the flasher bags, but have found the hooks get tangled up and at times the Velcro is a pain to deal with when opening/closing. I played around with an idea, which may work well so I thought I would share it with everyone. Perhaps this will get guys sharing their ideas on organizing tackle.

So, I'll attach some pic's so you can see the idea. Essentially the main storage bin is a plastic container on sale at Can Tire for $1.19. We then cut some marine grade plywood to fit the bottom of the plastic bin and drilled 1/4 inch holes 1/2 inch apart so you can insert dowels to hold the flasher upright. A little wood glue and tap in the dowel and you are done.

What I like about this system is when changing out flashers I can simply and quickly drop the old flasher into an open slot and pull out the new one I want to fish. It keeps all the flashers upright so no tangled gear and the flasher can dry out.

Here's some pic's:

KathysJan2010Pics077.jpg

KathysJan2010Pics076.jpg

KathysJan2010Pics078.jpg

KathysJan2010Pics080.jpg

KathysJan2010Pics082.jpg

Searun

th_067.jpg

That I really like, going to do that . Thanks Searun.:)

IMG_1445.jpg

Tx, hoping to spur on others to contribute their great ideas. I'm a bit (OK a lot[:p]) of a neat freak on the boat. Nothing worse than trying to find a spoon or hoochie combo when the bite is on. I really hate searching around in a pile of loose gear, not to mention the tangles that always seem to happen no matter how careful you are.

So, bring on your great ideas...let's get some sharing happening here.:)

Searun

th_067.jpg

Hey, I wouldn't mind seeing that work station when you get her ready...we can trade some ideas. Anything that makes my life on the water simpler and helps me keep my gear in the water fishing (instead of tying on the go) is a good thing.

Keep them ideas coming...I love to experiment with new innovations.

Searun

th_067.jpg

I've been thinking of ways to organize my flashers as well.That looks like the answer.Should fit under the seats when I'm not using them.
Dave

I've been using the plastic containers for some time but never thought about using the dowels. Great idea and thanks for sharing. I'm off to the store to get some dowels:D:D

DSCN4812-2-1.jpg

Searun, great idea!!!!

I picked up a dish rack and it does the same thing. Fits under the seat, I just take it out to rince the flashers off, and I use the removable silverware container to put my plug and such for a wash off as well. Once the sun has dries everything, back it goes in the boat, read for next time.

Can post a pict, but I think everyone knows what a dish rack looks like....:D

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Searun

Nice , Very Nice , x2 , any body that fishes in my rig , would laugh , i use the exact same setup , i don't have the fancy dividers you have , i use dish wash tubs , works great , , when needed , mix things up , it's there , fast ! , 30 - 40 of them tied ready to go , i have 3 tubs ready , all layed out on my stern platform , cats butt , love it , " Lots a flashers " lol, see ya at the Derby brotha..

flashers016.jpg

FD...;)

kosi99@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

Neat freak here too...luckily the tackle drawers that came with the Pursuit fit flashers perfectly...two rows, stacked on top of one another with a lid and it fits about 14 which is lots...just keep the ones I use the majority of the time within arms reach to change em over if one is being hit more than the other. Seemed one this year was a morning flasher, the other the afternoon...almost every day...kinda odd. Then near end of season had one that was killer everyday...if I can find a picture of it I'll post (not in BC to take one atm unfortunately)

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

*NEW VIDEO*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlEzuNC59ck

I completely</u> disagree with the idea of having leaders/lures attached to flasher all the time like that. [V]

Too easy for line to get nicked and too much reorganising when it comes time to tie new leaders/change leader lengths.

Hootchies are on leaders stored separately, bait leaders stored on foam board, spoons and plugs in soft sided bags, flashers in botttom of same bag.

billreidsalmon.jpg

Dogbreath

Your Bang on , the other 1000 , 2000 , lol , hootchies spoons , plugs etc , are all stored on boards in boxes ready to pull out ,stored in the front , I have 6 large boxes to date , lol ,, the tubs are all loaded with my my top producers ,doubles of some , having to pull out your boards and boxes etc can be quite time consuming when the bite is on , having pre tied rigs in tubs , is like having a loaded gun , READY to shoot :D ,,, i dont keep my pliers knife , etc... in my lure tiep up tubs , that could cause issues , no doubt , imo of course.... great setup...;)..fd

kosi99@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

I have all my hoochies pre-tied and stored in a plastic file holder with dividers labeled by hoochie type etc for fast changes. The idea of the flasher holder is simply to store those ones that I change out during any given day as I'm constantly cycling out at least one side until I land on something that is working. I just take the leader and roll it up around the flasher, so no nicks. Fog Ducker, I also have the same tubs, but found that with the bouncing action of the boat it wasn't too long before I had to practice my boy scout skills untangling a mess of loose leaders....AAAAAHHHH:(. Or at least you probably heard me muttering a few times in Barkley Sound.

Forgot to mention, those bins have lids and are stackable. Being see thu you can easily find what you want. Now I have to move onto organizing all my plugs.[:I]

Searun

th_067.jpg

I to agree with keeping flashers and lures separate, not attached. With a quick change it only takes a second to attach the lure/leader you want to try in combination with a particular flasher. Often if you have something entirely pre-rigged you end up changing your mind based on what is going on that day and putting a different lure or flasher out any way. I have to many flashers to use the dowels, but do have them in the same plastic tubs, packed separately by colour, patterns, favorites, etc. I also have an old medicine container with about 3/4 of an inch of WD40 in it. I drop all the ball bearing swivels that have been in the salt water into the container, keeping the bearings lubed and ready for the next use. They are too expensive to let seize up after a season. Bad enough losing them.

Fog Ducker Bounce , ha ha , [:eek:)] ,kidding ... lol ,she is pretty smooth back there though......actually i agree , can at times tangle a little , usually pretty quick fix , drilled several small holes in the bottom's of all the tubs , quick freshwater spray , keeps them working and clean ,Again , these are just my go to's , I also have all my other lures pre tied , on boards ready to go ,when i have 3 -5 guy's out , getting to all gear can sometimes be a challenge ,We Fish WCVI mostly , pretty much know which 5 or 6 lures will get me in the zone ,alot in my tubs tie -ups , are doubles , even triplles ,i inspect and re-tie my lures every outting , I don't know when the last time i broke off due to a knick ,Oh , last thing , all my pre tied lures , leaders are all with quick releases .. works for me , Your's is definately a step or 2 above ... Not as motivated as you..:D

fd..;)

kosi99@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

Too funny FD...not so much about motivation, more about being bored waiting for the weather to cooperate so I can get out. Had to get my fix by going to the boat on the weekend to run up the engines...instant stress release. Can't wait until the weather breaks. Meantime, I need to find another project to keep me sane and thinking of warmer days and screamin reels.

Searun

th_067.jpg

While searching for flasher storage ideas I came across this thread, and some readily available products. Unfortunately the paddle file storage system that I think is a great solution, I wasn't able to find locally. Thought about ordering a couple from the states, but decided too much $$ with the dollar and shipping etc. So I just copied their idea. Bought the large plana xxl prolatch (~$20), found an offcut of 1" wide UHMW at IPP ($12), and made my own. Had to rip the plastic down from 3" to 1.5". The strips measure in at 1" thick x 1.5" high, and around 15" wide with a 3° angle cut on the ends to better fit the box. Used a chop saw and cut grooves just over 1/8" wide on about 1/2" centers, 3/4" deep. Tapped and drilled the ends and used some stainless 1/4" machine screws to hold the strips in place. So for a little over $30 and a few hours time I have a 29 flasher holder. Not the lowest cost route, but sure one of the cheaper DIY's I've done.

Back