Sidney Report

Well I went out today and flogged the water at Coal Island. Released a 10lb spring that was undersized, was all so left disheartened at 2:30pm... Heard alot of chatter on the radio and it seems it was slow everywhere out here on the Sidney side.

Scale is out a bit is all... came in just under 61 cm's.. The 11.7 I got the other day weighed in at almost 14 on my old scale during the derby last week and was 72cm's... So may have been closer to 8lbs. They both were healthy at least.

Last Friday night 6-8 was showing lots of baitfish and many large schools of salmon off OB flats/Trial. Caught one hatch and lost a hali. I'll likely be out tomorrow night. BWD says the winds will drop off at 5pm and the tide will be changing then too, so there'll be some salmon and bait moving in.

Hooked into one little spring at 100 feet, in 150ft of water off the front of sidney spit today... And seen a bunch of bait and feeding going on down near the powder warf while the tide was changing at 1pm today. Lets hope we have some luck out there tomorrow ;)

Fished for halibut back side of Darcy today from 5-11 and not a bite. Than troll for salmanazars at the Sidney channel and nothing there either. Did see a guy with a Hali no and they said it have been on for over a hour and it was still on a half hour after that. Don't know if they got it as we had to go. Nice day out there thou.

Fished Pender bluffs, Fairfax, and Coal Island on Friday. Not a thing on the lines, but the fish and chips at Poet's Cove made up for the bad day of fishing ;)

Quiet day at the powderwharf sunday. fished the afternoon flood without a single sniff. Loads of bait rolling through a little deeper on the sounder but no fish.
Guessing thats why this thread is is so quiet.
Lots of bigass dungies in the traps though!

fished darcy this AM. lots of doggies and 1 big skate. had to move on once the currents picked up. great morning on the water even with out any fish!
bruce

Was out yesterday evening for a fish. There are lots of doggies out there right now! Fished Fairfax all by our lonesome and were rewarded with a 30 well into the flood. Only one other bite that didn't stick. There were a few other nice fish at the dock earlier in the day.

Photo11-06-1980609PM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to try Sidney area tomorrow...any suggestions for depth and location? Was thinking maybe Lands End because it is close to where we are or running over to the backside of Sidney Island. I don't normally fish in Sidney so any help is appreciated...

Thanks

Anybody been out lately? Was thinking of trying Pender or Fairfax tomorrow since it looks like the winds might be blowing in Sooke tomorrow.

I fished Lands End last Sunday...released a small one and that was it. I think I might fish Hamley tomorrow for a few hours...

Fished Fairfax on Friday, one bite right at the point and then nothing. Kicker steering unit disconnected right in the tide rip, boad spun round and I had a nice mess of lines to deal with!

Nasty dead head bobbed right past the boat, reported it to Victoria Coastguard, hopefully they flagged it as there were boats everywhere. Hope it didn't ruin anyone's weekend.

Cheers,

Fished Lands End yesterday picked up a 17 on a purple haze hootchie at 80' had one other hit that didn't stick. Beautiful day on the water, went to Ganges for dinner, would not recommend the pub food.

Nice work Canuck...we fished Hamley around the noon tide change and no luck for us and did not see anyone else pick up any fish either. Nice afternoon on the water though.

Back