Fishing Vancouver Area Improving (pic)

We were out at the Bell Buoy all weekend. One on Saturday, about 20# and one on Sunday, also around 20#.

Monday was the best and worst. Started out by dropping one electric downrigger in the Fraser on the way out. Must have vibrated the nut out. Just downstream of the Arthur Laing bridge if you want to salvage it.

We got two on Monday. First one at 20 feet before I got the other line on. Then another, I guess 30# at 30 feet. The big one really hurt my hand on its big run. When we got it close it carved big arcs with it dorsal, really cool.

boat, $200,00
fishing gear, $8000
fuel, $1000
free salmon, priceless!

dailylimit.jpg

quote:Originally posted by getbent

Anybody out at the mouth of the fraser lately...lets have some updates guys!

Shhhh...be very very quiet...everyone is sleeping.

The last 2 days (Tuesday and Wednesday) didn't generate anything significant for the fuel expense that people forked out.

For the guys that did pull fish out of there, they're feeling very very lucky.

Coal Ports produced some, but points north produced nothing to write home about.

The pinks being caught out there are darkies...

We're waiting on stinky starving white springs to arrive.

Boats fishing daily for them.

One nice Coho yesterday off the Bell Bouy and nothing else.

40'/anchovy.

Below that Dogfish lie in wait....

Rough as guts for a while then it settled down a bit then started up again finished quite calm so all in all a very mixed day.

Just had a look it's blowing pretty good now and there are 7 or 8 boats working the area.

With the very early high tides and the mid/late morning low tides, does it make any sence to fish in the mornings or would one be better off to target the afternoon high tide?

Dead off the Cap this AM stayed until well into the flood started to get sloppy made the hard fast run back.

quote:Originally posted by black dog

hi Dogbreath!
great thread!
e-mail has been sent directly to you!
BD

Hi BD!

If you tried to send me an email through the board it may not work try direct to hardnosethehighway@gmail.com

Fishing locally-talked to a guy @ the Kits boat ramp tonight he had a couple of really nice Springs taken around the Bell Buoy today.

Managed 2 Springs in the 15lb range at the Bell Buoy on September 12th. Also picked up 2 last Sunday....one 10ish and the other 23-24.

Oh, and is Dogbreath said.....LOTS of doggies out there.

So it sounds like the springs have not moved as far as the Cap yet?

Went out this morning, but someone didn't want me out there.

Started out from Jericho buy my engine didn't want to run. After a 1/2 hour of run/stop/run/stop, I figured I'd fish just in front of Jericho instead of heading out towards the bouy.

My top rod was 5" herring behind Blue Mist flaser @ 35', 70 yards from the closest freighter, and it gives a bounce... looks like a dogfish bounce. As I reach for the rod to reel up the dog it pops of the downrigger!

Grab the rod, reel up the slack, and its Fish On! A few minutes in after a couple of short runs, some back and forth, my engine dies again, and at the same time the rod dives - the combination throwing me way off balance and tilting the canoe to let a gallon or two of saltwater in the boat with me.

After a good run the line goes slack and I'm reeling like mad, only to have Mr. Gigantic Freekin Seal pop up 50 yards from the boat, flasher dangling.... At first it looks like he's bit the herring in its teaser and gotten hooked; all I can see from that distance is the flasher dangling before he heads back under and my reel starts screaming again. I cut the line as I didn't really look forward to battling the seal in my canoe/bathtub.

Anyone have a seal bite an anchovy rig before?
It felt like a fish for the first 5 minutes, then it felt like all seal. In the past, I've often seen the seal with the fish, this time I couldn't see the fish.

I decided that someone didn't want me fishing out there today so I reeled everything up and packed it in.

Damn Seals!

If anyone comes across a blue-mist UV flasher toting seal, pelt him for me!

hahaha gotta love when the seal takes the line.....had one do that to me off a cutplug this summer....real bummer when the realization hits haha

Launched in ladner ran out the river and dropped the lines. Before I could get the second rod down the first one popped.The fish took one quick run and was gone.It hit on a purple haze hootchie at 55ft.Trolled all the way to the coal port and the hootchie rod pops again(35 ft ) and this time I am rewarded with a 24 pound chinook which put up a great fight. That was it, a good day for me. LOL tryed to get a fishing partner for today but ended up going out solo..seas were calm and the sun was shinning ...boat ran great ...glad I live BC ....Tight Lines

Hi Guys, yes we've had seals take Coyote cop car before, once at Kirby Pt. and again in Gabriola Pass. Both were young and not the least bit interested in joining us in the boat.The seal in Gabriola Pass was cut loose after 45 minutes of playing him and having him in the net twice. The Kirby Point seal gave us our cop car back after getting into the kelp. Should have had Ma Cooey with us! Tight lines, see ya' on the chuck.

Was out there today too. Caught one spring just under size.:(
Going out again tomorrow. I catch most my fish out by the pink building. Anyone else find the fishing better out that way?

Striker, Two years ago I arrived at high tide 10:00 a.m.( I was with the wife )Dropped my gear right in front of the Pink appt. down to 90 feet, while I was letting down the other rigger the firt one started dragging bottom. Then the clip came off as I hooked and landed a chrome 38# I have since repeated this with no luck!

quick hint..don't be afraid to bounce the ball, the fish are statying at the bottom at this time, don't matter how deep the water is, drag your bait or hooch down.

Back