71 pounder!

i just heard today that there was a 71 pound spring caught off edward king island in the barkley sound.
can anyone confirm this???
also heard that theres lots of 30 - 40 pounders getting caught around bamfield.

F-Man, you gotta look into your sources.. You could probably consider that as one of those pre-adolescence "dreams".. Things are pretty unsteady towards the group as of late. I keep in touch with some of the top rods over there and it's been scratchy. As for a 71 this far south in the beginning of June, I would love to see where in the lower 48 a pig like that was heading.-dirty

While a spring of that size is possible, the odds suggest that it would be rather remote. Were it to be true, I'd think the docks and regular BS spots would be hopping with talk about it, but they ain't.

As for 30 and 40 pounders being nailed regulary around Bamfield, I'd suggest this is a bit of a stretch. I've actually been plying those waters on and off with the troller this spring, and was right there as little as a week ago. While it is true we've seen a surge of Fraser Reds wander through including some rather impressive fish, the number of 30 plus fish that our entire fleet caught could easily be counted on one hand.

It will likely happen this season, but I suspect not until we start seeing the returners headed to the Nit and Robertson. Pre season forcasts note there will be a good component of 4 and 5 year olds this year, and perhaps even a few of those rarer 6's. That equals LARGE certainly. But for now, I think the best we can expect is the odd high twenties... Tough to take [}:)]

Cheers,
Nog

k.
yea i was just wondering if it was tru or not. i just heard that that wave of those "fraser reds" as u put it, came throught the other day.
i know i didn't believe it right away either. but the person i was talking to sounded pretty bang on.
he even said that it was a person from the bamfield marine station who caught the 71.
but yea... i know it could all be a rumor too.
but i also thought that the 68 pounder caught in nootka was a rumor.
so we'll see if anything comes out in the magazines.

You know what ,good on yeah, your handling yourself very well. I dont mean to be patronizing or maybe I am ,but everythings cool.

Hmmm..I just got off the phone with 1 guy, and another who returned just a few days ago from Barkley Sound/Bamfield.

Asked them about many well respected reports on the web and if they were true. They had issues with the reports which were posted.

Appears some people's approach to becoming a good fisherman is to become a good liar.
[V]

quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician

Appears some people's approach to becoming a good fisherman is to become a good liar.
[V]

And they said the times were changing. Ha!
Old traditions carry on.

i'm not lying tho.
thats just what i heard.
and i wasn't sure, so....... i just posted it to see if anybody could confirm it.

I wouldn't jump all over The Lad there FM. He simply heard a story and was trying to find out if there was anything substantial behind it. Happens to all of, at least to me from time to time as well :D

There were some rather sweet fish in the high twenties around, with the odd Boomer mixed in as well. Sometimes Folks tend to over-estimate the size of their catch (oh... REALLY??) but a 70 plusser would of course be Front Page News...

Do strongly suspect we'll break sixty again this year though. Letcha know as it goes...;)[}:)]:D

60lbs_3.jpg

Cheers,
Nog

heard there was a 170 pound halibut weighed in at the nook last week perhaps thats the big fish people talking about

quote:Originally posted by Klob

Hey Noggin: Is that smaller boat in the picture a Chuck Chariot?

1964 Surf Scooter. One of 20 some odd built for the Campbell River Guide Service way back in 1964. A knock-off of a Boston Whaler, it handles pretty much the same. We rebuilt that one about 10 years ago, and she just keeps going and going and going...

Springer in the pix above was 61.5 lbs. Fella on the left weighs in at just a hair over 250, and the Young Gun on the right towers well over 6 feet. Sweet Fish!! Hope to shake hands with a few of his Buddies this summer!!

Cheers,
Nog

Back