In river netting pics

Unbelievable. Where is the accountability?!
These nets need to be banned! And until they are they need to be regulated. Labelled with names and contact like any other trap in the water. Spot checks and enforcement. People held accountable.
WTF do you have to say about this DFO?! And FN Chiefs?!

To put it simply gill nets need to be banned regardless of the cultural background of the fisher. Just look at the disaster we have on our hands with stamp river summer runs, Thompson River steelhead, upper Fraser chinook and other weakend runs. While we can't repair the environmental devastation that has taken place in our watersheds, Ocean conditions, and a 150 years of over fishing we can control the impact on fish once they return to our waters.
I know we can repair a lot of environmental devastation in our water sheds and removing harmful practices such as Open Net Cage Fish Farms on migratory pathways. The Question is do we want to? Yes gill nets need to be banned.

Any attempt to stop this and indians and their leftist supporters will use their tried and true tactic of screaming racism and the cowardly bribed media will play along. Trudy and Horgan will put on their hypocrite virtue jackets and play along knowing full well that ignorant and uniformed voters will buy the BS and continue to support them. We're screwed and so are the fish!

Any attempt to stop this and indians and their leftist supporters will use their tried and true tactic of screaming racism and the cowardly bribed media will play along. Trudy and Horgan will put on their hypocrite virtue jackets and play along knowing full well that ignorant and uniformed voters will buy the BS and continue to support them. We're screwed and so are the fish!
There are Natives out there who also find these practices despicable. If I still lived in the area, I'd be inclined to go remove those f--kin nets myself. I'd like to see them cry racism when its a fellow red man with the same ancestral ties to the land taking action against their barbaric practices.

Your going to have a chance to change that in a few months, just don’t forget.

I wonder if some knowledgeable person like a Bob Hooten or whoever has a good handle on it was to write a good in-depth article about this crap along with all possible pictures and submit it to the Province paper whether or not they’d have the balls to publish it?
There’s way too many people out there that have no idea this is going on.
Really needs to get out there!

Were there more fish taken with in-river netting this year compared to past few years. I am curious if there was an increase this year due to the rec sector being shut down until today... a resource re-allocation?

at least those nets also catch all the logs and debris and help clean the river completely.

I sent this in to CBC. feel free to use my words to send to other media.

Hi,

I understand this may be a touchy subject for you, as it shines a negative light on First Nation fishermen, but my intent is to expose the inept management of the DFO on the Fraser River. Sockeye on the Fraser River are experiencing their lowest returns in recorded history. As such, there is no allowable catch of these runs. Meanwhile, FN food and ceremonial fisheries have been approved with the caveat that all Sockeye, Steelhead and Coho must be released. The trouble is, the permitted method of fishing is by gill nets, which invariably result in the death of any fish caught in them. Any bycatch of sockeye may be returned to the water (dead or dying) but as you can see in the chart below from the DFO website, some FN have decided to retain them anyways. In my eyes, the problem is not the fact that the FN have retained the fish that would be dead anyways, (it does not make sense to me to waste them,) but rather that such an indiscriminate method of fishing was approved by DFO during a time when critically endangered species are comigrating. There are other harvesting methods which are being implemented in other jurisdictions such as Washington State that allow for selective harvest of targeted species and leave other fish unharmed. This has been suggested to DFO but they continue to allow gill netting to persist despite the damage its doing. Someone needs to hold the DFO accountable for this tragedy.

Prepare yourself for CBC article exposing the rampant racism that is common among the "white devil" sport fishing demographic. All of us will have to under go sensitivity training and confess that we always knew we had no right to catch fish.

Regardless of conservation issues, species going extinct or waste from by catch these same people will say its justified because of law.

Absolutely disgusting and literally a daily event on the Fraser...wish our biased ***** media outlets would actually show this to the clueless general public.

Last edited by a moderator:
You dont like gillnets? Why are you complaining on a forum? What's your solution?

Unlike the rest of Canada, the First Nations have a right to fish. For the remainder of us it's a priviledge. Dont like it, convince parliament, and all of the provinces that it should change.

Back