Repower with 90 or 115

It’s a babied 98’.
unknown hours but going by the amount the owners fished and the condition of the boat it’s gotta be well under 1k hours. Probably 500-700

Hmm interesting. Blew my 2008 up two weeks ago. No budget for new. Deciding whether to rebuild or go used. Got any pics.

Here are a couple:
AE10C6C6-B951-421A-B181-03FD4209F752.png 7D2DA401-3B68-4B27-BC6F-EF8ABDB7F09F.png
to be honest @kingblazer84 gets first dibs if when I’m ready to sell he is ready to buy...
Still might be a few months away and I intend to fish in the winter too.

Not sure what the weight of the scout is, but on my 18.5’ alum the 90 is tons of power. On plane quickly, top speed just under 60, tows 3 kids on a tube up to 50 easily.

Sure a 115 would be faster, but depending on you needs not likely needed. Brother in law had a 115 on his 16 double eagle and it was very fast and sounded awesome but guzzled fuel.

go with the 115, I have a 17.5' armstong and I get better fuel efficiency with my 115 than I did with my 90, cruise same speeds at lower rpm, i troll on my main but do have a 6hp kicker for any emergency, bought the kicker new in 2014 an it has less then 2 hrs on it, lol. my 90 was a 4stoke zuke (a good engine) and my 115 is an etec. love it.

I have a mint etec 115 thats the dark blue model. Also a merc 115 efi. The efi has low hours but has a few scuffs on the cowlings. Pretty sure I have a set of smartcraft guages with the plus and minus buttons for that as well.

Have brand new 115s coming in soon as soon as the train gets here.

I’m still waiting for my shiny new 115 Yamaha outboard that I have ordered. I’m wondering if it will take up more or less room than my 98 Honda 90 4 stroke? I have my main and kicker both on hanging on the transom, and want to knowing I need to plan for a separate kicker mount or not. As of now they both fit but it’s pretty snug.6C46D84F-88DF-46E3-B5EC-C5A5ABD3A097.jpeg

I have an F115 Yamaha on my Malibu with an 8HT Yamaha kicker,almost identical hull.I had to add a new mount 4" higher and on the back side of transom to clear the steering arm,still a tight fit.

I’m still waiting for my shiny new 115 Yamaha outboard that I have ordered. I’m wondering if it will take up more or less room than my 98 Honda 90 4 stroke? I have my main and kicker both on hanging on the transom, and want to knowing I need to plan for a separate kicker mount or not. As of now they both fit but it’s pretty snug.View attachment 61281
Your DE looks similar to mine, with the transom raised a bit where the kicker mounts. I have a chubby ol' 115 Yamaha 2 stroke that looks wider than your current Honda and it fits along with the kicker without modding the transom.

IMG_4658.jpeg

Last edited:
Back