Recommend to me a place to have a trailer hitch installed

tinboatrobb

Buying a 2019 Santa Fe and will need to have a 2 inch receiver hitch installed. Who do you go to other than U Haul. Thanks.

Custom Hitch in Victoria/Langford

I apologize rob you have fished very well out of small crafts at McCually and did not deserve that .but if I could smack you right now you might think differently about your future purchase .

I do not want a truck. I have a 14ft aluminum boat and always will and a small utility trailer. I do not need a truck.

Last edited:
Rob, try calling Uhaul near Topaz, they do all sort of these installs and are usually very competitive.

Jim at Custom Hitch did my hitch on my Dodge Ram after the one that came with the truck almost broke free. They are behind Luxton fair grounds.

I use Custom Hitch for trailer electrical work and wheel bearings. they do good work at reasonable prices. 250 474-6669

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have not bought the vehicle yet tell the dealer that you want them to install it for free as part of the sales deal. They’ll do it.

have not had a hitch installed that way but have had all kinds of things thrown in with every car I have bought. Have had Rolf racks, snow tires, box liner, running boards, tonneau cover, and more included and installed for free as part of sales deals.

Jim at Custom Hitch did my hitch on my Dodge Ram after the one that came with the truck almost broke free. They are behind Luxton fair grounds.

I used the guys behind Luxton Fairgrounds a few years back as well. There is also Rack Attack on Oak street who have a flat fee of $110.00

I had a hitch put on my 6 cyl. Santa Fe, I bought it at U haul but they didn't want to install it, so I had it installed at E&A hitch shop in Burnaby, it is a trickier install due to placement of the spare under the vehicle but those guys did a great job, that was about 6 years ago. I tow my 17.5' armstrong alum (1650 dry wt.) with a 115 etec on it and all the gear fuel etc so I'm just under 3,000 lbs. my capacity is 3500 lbs and I've never had issues towed it to tofino many times and sushwap 2x, you barely know it's there, no problem on long hills etc. I certainly wouldn't do it with a 4 cyl for my boat but yours would be fine, not sure what size your engine is. Talk to some shops in victoria and go to one who's done santa fe's.

I have a 2002 sants fe with a 6 cyl now. Going to a 2019 with a 4cly 8 speed automatic. Boat motor and trailer is 750 lb. Tow capacity is 2000lbs. We only tow a few miles to the ramp we use. The odd time a longer road trip. 90% of the time it will be my daily driver. Thanks.

My only worry about a Santa Fe woudl be clearance.

95% of the time I can launch my boat without the tires even touching the water. That includes launches like Kitty Coleman and Point Holmes. BUT I have had a couple times where I had to go a lot deeper than I wanted based on certain tides, conditions, etc. Because I have a 1/2 ton, aside from tires and rims, nothing else got wet (with the exception of spray) but have to wonder, with a midsized SUV, in some situations I imagine you would get a lot more of the vehicle salty than one would want...

...But I guess that also depends on the launches used. No need at good launches to ever get even the tires wet...

Side Note: Last weekend at Kitty, I saw a man with a Chevy Astro launching. He was having trouble getting off the trailer. His front bumper was literally touching water. OUCH. Can't imagine all the places the salt found with that launch!

My only worry about a Santa Fe woudl be clearance.

95% of the time I can launch my boat without the tires even touching the water. That includes launches like Kitty Coleman and Point Holmes. BUT I have had a couple times where I had to go a lot deeper than I wanted based on certain tides, conditions, etc. Because I have a 1/2 ton, aside from tires and rims, nothing else got wet (with the exception of spray) but have to wonder, with a midsized SUV, in some situations I imagine you would get a lot more of the vehicle salty than one would want...

...But I guess that also depends on the launches used. No need at good launches to ever get even the tires wet...

Side Note: Last weekend at Kitty, I saw a man with a Chevy Astro launching. He was having trouble getting off the trailer. His front bumper was literally touching water. OUCH. Can't imagine all the places the salt found with that launch!
I never get my tires wet either, even at Cates park, but I do have a 3' hitch extention I can use if I ever have to, I pack it with my whenever I go to a launch I haven't used or if it's an extremely low tide. I was surprised how well my santa fe tows actually, but it's extra nice living in the city and not having to park a truck.

Back