Crab Bait

wagonmaster

Been using chicken backs from Thrifty's for crab bait for a while and have found it better than salmon heads. Someone recently cautioned me that salmonella could be a problem using chicken. Anyone else heard of that?

For the past 5 years, whenever I can get it, I've been using the mixed bags of chicken, salmon and herring parts that I get from a couple of the local stores. Just don't lick your fingers after you've stuffed the bait chamber. ;);)

Just wash your hands after handling the chicken. The ice thing about chicken is that seals don't recognize it as food and don't damage traps trying to get at it. One of my newer stainless traps has a patch job in the wire mesh because a seal wanted the salmon heads. With chicken I can set around a bunch of other commercial traps in an obvious hot spot and do well. I'm sure all the bait in the water brings many to the spot and the chicken seems to win out.

Been using chicken backs for 25 years, best bait for crabs.
they used to be nearly free, now... not so much.

No kidding, I pay about $10 for 4 packages which is enough for 2 traps.

for sure chicken works best for me by far, backs whatever, sometimes the legs with back attached go on sale at superstore so I buy a bunch of that and have been using it for the past couple of years.

I have used a roasted chicken carcass, lemon, rosemary ect didn't seem to affect it crabs loved it

break the bones, let the marrow bleed out.

That's ridiculous! Maybe if you lick your fingers after handling the chicken....
From a different thread i posted in;
Done a lot of crabbing and experimenting over the years. Did a test with chicken backs and turkey wings years ago in a hot spot. Put two chicken backs and two turkey wings in each bait container in 4 different traps. 8 hour soak, came back and had decent crab in all 4 traps. Crazy part was ALL the chicken was gone (bones pulled through the mesh and gone) and the turkey wings were sitting in there pristine. Not a nibble on them. Not sure how a crab can tell the difference but there ya go.
Tried some older leftover fried chicken once and that worked AMAZING. Guessing the oils carried the scent?
Last note - NEVER use octopus. It's a crabs arch-enemy.

I have been using chicken backs and pork chops or pork soup bones. The pork seems to keep the females away.

Back