South Island Lakes 2020

If that was my sounder I would say the stuff on the bottom was bass ( yes, unfortunately I get lots of bass in deep water ) and the mid water stuff was some kind of undesirable, sunfish of something. I don't ever see huge schools of trout like that. Trout usually come by in 1's and 2's not by the 4 dozen.
But, it is not my sounder so I certainly could be mistaken.

If that was my sounder I would say the stuff on the bottom was bass ( yes, unfortunately I get lots of bass in deep water ) and the mid water stuff was some kind of undesirable, sunfish of something. I don't ever see huge schools of trout like that. Trout usually come by in 1's and 2's not by the 4 dozen.
But, it is not my sounder so I certainly could be mistaken.
I'd agree as the only thing I have pulled out of the mass is small yellow perch. My guess on the surrounding 'fish' are trout or bass preying on the baitfish - connected with a few trout this way. Streamer flies imitating baby perch or rainbows are deadly right now.
In Langford (and Elk) I've seen schools of trout marked as up to a couple dozen fish symbols - usually between 20 and 30 feet. Confirmed by trolling just above them - always seem to be 16 to 20 inch fish when caught.

Elk lake was pretty good to me today from 10am to 230pm. Stayed close to the ramp and purple wooly buggers were working in 15 to 25ft of water. Best fish was about 18in and very thick.
20201129_123402.jpg
Disappointed to see the rowers using one of the 6 or so designated boat ramp use parking spots to store a boat on a trailer when they had their entire parking area and a field with boat and trailer in it as options to store the boat. No ramp use parking spots left for me so long walk from the way upper parking and anyone with mobility issues would have been SOL for using the ramp.
20201129_102815.jpg20201129_102746.jpg

Thetis was hot on Saturday. Including a real nice one 18+ that broke my leader, so no pic. Did get a pic of this deformed one. 5367D038-C95A-4148-9C8E-61C13AA2542F.jpeg

Anyone else been out on Langford? I found it unusually slow for this time of year. The water had a brownish tinge to it and there were blobs of algae floating on top, much like we usually see for a couple of weeks in November. I think it is in a late/slow turnover state.

Back