Since Time Immemorial, by Bob Hooton

Yes the have fsc priority so they can bump the other user groups.

what I read tho the main issue the round table had was they sold the extra

If I’m reading this right basically all the FN have to do is not agree at the round table and it’s a free for all? Why would they agree to a number if this is the case? Also , them or the commercial guys can ahead of time fish TAC from the rec guys ? Of course we aren’t going to catch our TAC if the inlet was raped before the end of the season. Unless I’m missing something this whole deal is a **** show .

Well you definitely believe the FN fisheries are the worst offenders, judging by your wilful attempt to leave out any grievances with the commercial guys... Why aren't you saying anything about them if you're gonna play the finger pointing game?

It's abundantly clear that they harvest a disproportionate amount of fish compared to all other user groups and they do so purely for profit, and at the expense of taxpayers... in fact there is more taxpayer expense than the FN fisheries as well, given that they harvest the fish in numbers that are orders of magnitude greater than FN fisheries.
Well to start the commercial fisheries Are the only ones with proper accounting. That being said in this day and age there is no excuse to exceed the allocation but as much as the gillnets did. Personally I believe the gillnets should be on quota like every other commercial salmon fishery so this doesn’t happen. Especially during times of low abundance.
As for harvesting a disproportionate share that is a lengthy debate. The commercial fleet is there to provide access to the resource for Canadians that can’t afford to sportsfish.
Lastly as for paying their share.. the license fee for a seine vessel is $3900 /yr plus $350 for a log book. Plus some additional costs for monitoring the off load. All that for a 12hr chum opening and an extremely limited fishery in barclay.

The commercial fleet is there to provide access to the resource for Canadians that can’t afford to sportsfish.

I generally agree with this statement expect that international pricing pressure can make wild ocean salmon unaffordable to most Canadians.

hence why a lot of Canadians turn to the more affordable farmed salmon.

Yes the have fsc priority so they can bump the other user groups. what I read tho the main issue the round table had was they sold the extra
You "read" that the "extra" was sold? Maybe you could provide that reference, WMY?

I think WMY is capable of answering his own posts, Nog.

In addition "common knowledge" is but another term for rumours/innuendo/slander/gossip. And you numbers are still wrong - as are your assumptions.

You're the one making the unsubstantiated claims, Nog. You can't even provide a reference for your claim that they went over by 30,000 pieces.

Nor have you successfully challenged any rebuttals I have provided over how FSC is agreed to; or when Tseshaht signed and agreed to the fishing plan.

Instead, your defense is that it is "common knowledge" when challenged - then try to retreat to safer pastures when you can't back-up your claims by saying that other posters should "get over it".

I'll let other posters on this forum make their own minds up about how reliable and mature your last couple posts have been.

You're the one making the unsubstantiated claims, Nog.

ROFLMAO.gif

smiley-plugging-nose.png

Flogging.gif

While Hooton may be correct ( if his memory does serve) that the Stamp river chinook numbers did not exist 'historically' the point is moot and meaningless. Best I know there isn't a jurisdiction in the PNW where FN do not get access to enhanced salmon runs consistent with their FN rights.

While Hooton may be correct ( if his memory does serve) that the Stamp river chinook numbers did not exist 'historically' the point is moot and meaningless. Best I know there isn't a jurisdiction in the PNW where FN do not get access to enhanced salmon runs consistent with their FN rights.
I agree, and frankly if that issue was ever tried in court I think we all know with certainty the result - get over it and move on. FN's FSC rights are a fact, and we should respect that and move on. We all want accountability in the fishery, and one advantage of the RT process is all stakeholders can hold one another accountable in a respectful way. When one group failed to adhere to the sockeye fishing plan agreed upon by the RT, accountability took the form of DFO taking the position that the Economic Opportunity Agreement would not be afforded to that group - they lost out for a considerable period of the "opportunity." Not perfect, but its better than the alternatives at this point.

It works out well when there is harvest available and also have one of the largest hatchery productions in B.C.

taking 20k brood is an astronomical number compared to what other hatcherys take/produce around this province

Always appreciate your reasoned, informed and intelligent posts, searun. To add to what you posted - when any signer signs an agreement - that's when they agree to that agreement - and in this case - the fishing plan w TACs.

FSC is a needs-based number that is a Tier II negotiation between FNs and representatives of the Crown - not in a Tier III process.

DFO reps are "representatives of the Crown" and are legally bound by the "honour of the Crown", as well as legally negotiating in good faith. Being vindictive and going on leave in the middle of negotiating before the fishery starts is not doing neither of the 2. If DFO felt that the FSC fishing impacted conservation - they could have charged people w illegal fishing (which would have been the proper, legal response) - but would also have had to close down all other fisheries. They also did neither.

More to this story than meets the eye here...

... When one group failed to adhere to the sockeye fishing plan agreed upon by the RT, accountability took the form of DFO taking the position that the Economic Opportunity Agreement would not be afforded to that group - they lost out for a considerable period of the "opportunity." Not perfect, but its better than the alternatives at this point.

LOL! What a joke!

They stamped their feet (cue schoolgirl semantics) screamed blue murder, held the marina as hostage, then barricaded DFO's local offices. And... they got the exact results they wanted - a large economic opening on springs.

Lost out?

Hardly.

Nog

Back