Tuna 2020

crab bait

Not a fishing report, just a few weird and wonderful incidents from 2020 albacore fishing;

Biggest albacore - 28lbs 11oz fatty

Partner grabbed a flopping albacore hooked on an Xrap. Two points of a big treble just below the pinkie. Buddy says it doesn't feel good when the fish flops around. Hook successfully removed, but apparently I lack a compassionate bedside manner.

Partner boat had an albacore grabbed by a porpoise/dolphin. It jumped with the fish in its mouth and almost spooled him. He did get it back, stone dead, with bite marks around the collar.

Another boat snagged a porpoise on an Xrap. $30 lure and 600 yards of line gone in seconds.

Another buddy boat trolled by a kelp patch and got a triple header on yellowtail!

20lb bluefin landed by Quatsino lodge.

That's it for me. Any incidents? Strange catches or sightings? Please add them on!

always love hearing about all the exotics and strange encounters way off shore , surely there has to be some more to post with all the effort put into the albie fishery this year , great thread idea crabbait

Not from tuna fishing, but somewhat exotic. Here is a video of a 6' - 7' salmon shark that was scratching itself agains a piece of driftwood we came across this summer on the Central Coast. Thought is was a blue shark at first as we had seen one the year before in almost the exact same spot.

CE002D97-132E-4189-94B1-1B3CC5D36622.jpeg
unlucky mola got dragged around for while. I was going to Get him taxi’d for the wall. I am also building a collection of ink prints from catches on canvas.

Back