6 month update on owning a new Silver Streak

Thanks to all the Silver Streak owners who've commented.
I do have a couple questions about performance with a Yamaha 115hp. Cruise speed, max speed, range with the 20 gallon tank?
I'm also curious if any of you have had any unforeseen issues with your boats?
Cheers

Hi, the 115 is all the motor you need I"ve had mine up to 32mph on a calm day in Sidney and that's fast enough for anyone I think. The gas hasn't been a issue as the motor is great on gas but most of the time I'm on my kicker trolling. The only unforeseen issue I had was with the wash down leaver . On mine it was at deck level and positioned under where the down rigger is located and I kept stepping on it and bending the leaver. I had to go back and have them build a shield preventing me from stepping on it.

It looks like the transducer mount is on the port side of the main and between the kicker.
I was under the impression that the transducer mount should be to starboard of regular rotation propellers to avoid disturbed water with air mixed in.
I have a duoprop main with transducer to starboard and lose bottom when up on plane. I thought that was part of the issue.
Just wondering?

Beauty boat, I respect that you are going aluminum because it is utilitarian. Proper methodology.
Are you planning on painting the topsides? If so, I would recommend only painting above the top rub strake and leaving the rest bare. Goes with the utilitarian aesthetic.
Thanks to all the Silver Streak owners who've commented.
I do have a couple questions about performance with a Yamaha 115hp. Cruise speed, max speed, range with the 20 gallon tank?
I'm also curious if any of you have had any unforeseen issues with your boats?
Cheers

I have the same boat with a 9.9 HT. and a 115. Depending on weather I run about 26@3800. Top speed 38 to 40. I get around 6 mpg at cruise. Think my GPS is set to US gallons. Running to my cabin in the Sechelt Inlet from Campbell River, around 85 miles I have used a full tank fighting a southeast to 15 gal US in good weather. Usually loaded fairly heavy when commuting. Turning Point SS 17 pitch. Had it changed to 16” to get the rpm up a bit. Happy with the boat. Got the Hard top with the walk thru windshield. Nice for off loading and keeping cool in the summer. Radar is the next project. Good choice, have fun!

Last edited:
hey gong show, I have a volvo dualprop with my transducer on the starboard and never loose bottom at full speed. even in water 300' deep at 25 knots have pretty clear readings from my P66 transducer

BTW - love silverstreak boats. better than lifetimer IMO
It looks like the transducer mount is on the port side of the main and between the kicker.
I was under the impression that the transducer mount should be to starboard of regular rotation propellers to avoid disturbed water with air mixed in.
I have a duoprop main with transducer to starboard and lose bottom when up on plane. I thought that was part of the issue.
Just wondering?

Beauty boat, I respect that you are going aluminum because it is utilitarian. Proper methodology.
Are you planning on painting the topsides? If so, I would recommend only painting above the top rub strake and leaving the rest bare. Goes with the utilitarian aesthetic.

Kinetic, I will echo what Lucky Streak says: get the trim tab plates welded on even if you don't get the tabs right away. Tabs are an easy install after that.
Congrats on the purchase - you'll be happy!

Do you have any say on what if any flotation is used during construction?

I didn't get a choice on my build, maybe others can comment. It's some sort of spray foam I think, as you can see it in the bow on my model.
They've been building quality boats since 1987, so I imagine they have things dialed in.

I didn't get a choice on my build, maybe others can comment. It's some sort of spray foam I think, as you can see it in the bow on my model.
They've been building quality boats since 1987, so I imagine they have things dialed in.
With all due respect, spray foam has been problematic in boats that by regulation require flotation. I am surprised it is still being used if it is the same type that has been causing corrosion and pinholes in other similar boats

With all due respect, spray foam has been problematic in boats that by regulation require flotation. I am surprised it is still being used if it is the same type that has been causing corrosion and pinholes in other similar boats

Most of the boats that end up with problems are ones with plywood floors. I dont like spray foam. But if it's in a water tight/airtight compartment. Then it's all good.

Most of the boats that end up with problems are ones with plywood floors. I dont like spray foam. But if it's in a water tight/airtight compartment. Then it's all good.
I don't think that is necesarilly true.There will always be condensation in a void space with dissimilar temps either side.Most builders worldwide use foam in their boats to achieve the government standard .(still floats when filled with water).

I agree Ray and I’ve been told buy builders that all sealed compartments should have access plates so you can not only check for water and remove it but to leave the compartments open when not in use to allow air to move.

If you watch the video you will notice that he puts his foam in exposed area's where any water will evaporate ore drain away.Under gunwhales,in the bow,under the floor plating.Until something better comes along,foam will be used even though it can cause problems at times.Silver Streak (Andy) has been building good boats for a long time now and knows what he's doing.

Last edited:
It's actually very hard to make any space water /air tight.Any welder will tell you that heat expands air and unless there's a hole for it to leave ,it blows out the weld.Tanks all have holes for valves etc.,so no problem there.

If you watch the video you will notice that he puts his foam in exposed area's where any water will evaporate ore drain away.Under gunwhales,in the bow,under the floor plating.Until something better comes along,foam will be used even though it can cause problems at times.Silver Streak (Andy) has been building good boats for a long time now and knows what he's doing.
Not meaning to derail, however I was curious if the SS had rigid or expanding 2 part foam. Talk to surveyors that specialize in insurance claims and related issues. Some all aluminum welded boats (no wood floor to lift) are unrepairable unless you cut the bottom off, remove the foam and re-skin them, almost not worth it on some price points. The water logging aspect as well as the harmful corrosive action is a concern, surprised there hasn't been a class action lawsuit on the mass produced boats down south. Open cell vs closed cell often comes up but I do not know if the preferred version is actually better at stopping corrosion.

Back